[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the meme status on this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: 2666.jpg (28 KB, 243x375) Image search: [Google]
2666.jpg
28 KB, 243x375
What's the meme status on this book?
>>
fuck off
>>
>>7431650
People speak of it but not about it.
>>
>>7431650
modern /lit/, everyone
>>
I read it in August. I liked it a lot. Don't know if it's a meme yet. I know a bunch of people on here wanted that, Gaddis' The Recognitions, and Vollman's Europe Central to be the new meme trilogy, but that was apparently a fruitless endeavor.
>>
>>7431650
I've read 200 pages so far.
Does it get better? It's not difficult in the slightest but it is kind of boring at times.
>>
>>7431774
lmao "it isn't hard, i don't get parts tho"
>>
How do you say the title? Is the meme.
>>
Is this translation adequate? I don't want to learn Spanish.
>>
>>7431798
>something is boring therefor it is misunderstood
>>
>>7431810
"twenty-six sixty-six"
>>
>>7431816

>>7431671
>>
>>7431876
Nice meme.
>>
>>7431810
'two six six six'
>>
I can read it in Spanish, but is it long? I don't want to read it if it's all long and wordy.
>>
>>7431897
Spanish version is like 1100 pages
>>
>>7431904
1126 to be exact.
>>
>>7431904
lol what the fuck, man. I'm not reading that. Can someone tell me what it's about in 140 characters or less?
>>
>>7431914
It's about the Satanic future, from a Catholic perspective.
>>
>>7431914
about your mom being a whore.
>>
File: p20-1Image.jpg (2 MB, 948x1350) Image search: [Google]
p20-1Image.jpg
2 MB, 948x1350
I don't think I would have enjoyed 2666 as much if I hadn't read The Savage Detectives First, so much of the mood, style, setting, little bits of the Sonora desert, it feels to me almost like one big book, but that could just be me
>>
It all felt really good, the mental images it leaves are very vivid and I loved how everything connected not during the ending, but during the whole book.

>>7431933
I'll start the savage detectives this week, I hope it is just as great as 2666.
>>
>>7431810
Dos mil seiscientos sesenta y seis
>>
>>7431810
two hundred and sixty six six
>>
>>7431810
It's twenty-six sixty-six. It says that in the afterward.
>>
>>7431994
I agree with how everything was connected throughout. I also enjoyed how we weren't given any concrete answers with anything, really. It was like we were on the tip of an iceberg throughout the whole book.
>>
>they nailed entrescu to a cross
>>
>>7431914
its an easy read
took me 5 days
very entertaining
>>
I remember downloading it almost randomly thinking it's about satan in space unknowingly stumbling across best piece of literature I found so far. Someone said that Mann's "Magic mountain" "holds the whole world in itself" and yes I can agree with that. Moving along those lines I would say that "2666" holds it's end.
>>
>>7431810
>>7431810

Dos mil seiscientos sesenta y seis.
>>
I, too, am a Benno von Archimboldi scholar.
>>
>>7431774
Yes, I enjoyed the last two parts immensely more than the love triangle.

>>7431798
>Thinks he is some kind of patrician getting a deeper reading of the professors than anyone who didnt enjoy it.
It was an episode of Friends that wasnt funny.
>>
>>7433424
Do you get as much puss as is seemingly typical of such? Do you have a thing against Junger?
>>
>>7431810
"that robert bologna novel"
>>
>>7431810
Two Satan.
>>
I stopped somewhere in the middle. The story about the black journalist bored me to tears. I'm sorry, but I don't understand the praise this book got. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
File: the meme dream reseen.png (2 MB, 1560x750) Image search: [Google]
the meme dream reseen.png
2 MB, 1560x750
meme confirmed, part of the new meme trilogy.
>>
>>7433598
No.
>>
>>7433616
Women and Men is bad I can even make fun of it right.
>>
>>7433657
so bad*
>>
>>7433660
Can you explain why? Should I bother with looking for it?
>>
>>7433666
Ignore him, its one of the best books I've ever read. Definitely worth tracking down, or waiting for Dzanc to publish it next year (hopefully)
>>
>>7433666
Too much everything (with a good editing maybe it would be better), I saw no underlying idea that McElroy wanted to transmit as far as my personal cognition goes, like a book wrote under some kind of illicit drugs.
>>
>>7433676
Jesus christ. How could you even type this out without dying of embarrassment.
>>
>>7431914
Senseless violence and chaos, and how even regular humans are capable of doing atrocities.
>>
>>7433070
for some reason this part didnt hit me as hard as the other crazy shit in the book.
>>
>>7431914
>some europeans go to mexico in search of a mysterious author
>anally and vaginally raped
>they find him
That's about it.
>>
>>7434751

Oh God don't make me remember.
>>
Is it worth it to read this book if you can read Spanish?
>>
>>7434751
>>7434824
So that's all I'm missing? I got to the beginning of Book 2 (The Part about Amalfitano) before getting distracted by Suttree.
>>
Is it worth it to read this book if you can't read Spanish?
>>
>>7435836
there's lots of other weird shit that goes on but there's no payoff to any of it
>>
How many 2666's do you guys have in your 2666 account? I have 14. I don't even call them 2666, anymore—I call them meme units.
>>
>>7436329
>payoff

>reads for plot
>>
>>7436329
I enjoyed Book 1 immensely.
>>
>>7431650
This is bait, but honestly, for anyone who's desire to read or otherwise enjoy ANY medium hinges in any way on it's status as a "meme," you should take a long look at your life and your decisions.

Calling anything a "meme book" or a "meme movie" or a "meme game" is something that automatically makes you an imbecile in my book, because it proves how conscious and sensitive you are about something's popularity more than the content of the work itself.

Sort your fucking life out and spend less time in this shitpit.
>>
>>7436799
you realize this post is about the collective effort of trying to repace IJ, GR and Ulysses with a new meme trilogy including 2666 and JR, correct? not about wanting to read it because it's a meme.
>>
>>7434751
>they find him

no they dont. oops spoilers :^)
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.