[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth a read? Despite all the DFW memeposting that goes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: broommeme.jpg (129 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
broommeme.jpg
129 KB, 400x533
Is it worth a read?

Despite all the DFW memeposting that goes on here /lit/ never brings this book up.
>>
if you like dfw already

i wouldn't go out of my way to read it if you don't
>>
Personally I found it fucking intolerable. I liked Infinite Jest and I get that DFW has a stream of consciousness-y style sometimes but this read like a bad imitation of it by some girl on Tumblr.
>>
>>7431176

Finished IJ a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. Knocked off a couple books from my backlog since then and wanna read more of his fiction.

Deciding between this or The Pale King but all I hear about TPK is that it feels so broken and unpolished (cause it is I guess)
>>
>>7431190
his short stories are where his best work is tbqhfam
>>
I think DFW himself has said that it's like "a very smart 15 year old wrote it" or something.
>>
I liked it a lot when I read it in high school.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 500x400
Just fucking read it.
>>
>>7431207

What's the best collection? If Brief Interviews is anything like that fucking movie I'll stay clear.
>>
>>7431342
Oblivion has the best stories (Good Old Neon, Mister Squishy, The Suffering Channel) but Brief Interviews is the most consistent and cohesive.
>>
>>7431190
Read them eventually, but his essays and short stories are his best non-IJ work.
>>
>>7431362
>best stories
>no forever overhead

fight me irl bruh
>>
>>7431362
>didn't mention the soul is not a smithy
nigga what
>>
>>7431190
Pale king is 100% worth it; even though it's unfinished, I found it more enjoyable than IJ. DESU, no other book has made me laugh as hard as PK. It would have been his greatest work, and it sucks that he never finished it.
>>
>>7431190
whoever told you that is a moron. the pale king is full of unbridled splendor. easily Wallace's peak as a fiction writer.
>>
I liked it but it SERIOUSLY begins to both drag on and fall off in quality the longer it goes on.

If it abruptly ended at the end of PART I it'd be pretty much perfect for what it is. Love everything leading up to there. What follows is nowhere near as good and it never completely ties up anyhow.

>tfw you will never be as cool as Stonecipher Lavache Beadsman
>>
It's boring, mate. Just stick to Infinie d'Comedie
>>
I'm reading TPK now and if he finished it I think it would've been his best work. Harold "Angry Old Jew" Bloom wouldn't be able to dispute DFW's talent if the work were finished.
>>
is it true that it reads like a debate between Wittgenstein and Derrida or was that just something DFW made up to make it seem more intellectually legitimate?
>>
I enjoyed it a lot. Felt like a more condensed version of IJ to me, similarly good, just not as much there, which is both good and bad. Honestly I think it's pretty important to do some outside research on the book. Wallace wrote it as an exploration on the differences between being a real person and being a character in a story- if there truly are any differences. This is most definitely in the text, but when I heard him say it in an interview while I was about half way through- the whole thing really clicked. Well worth the read, its a quick one because so much of it is dialogue.
>>
I loved it. Great book. It's something about as enjoyable as White Noise and Taipei.

>>7432707
>SERIOUSLY begins to both drag on and fall off in quality
I don't agree with this.

>>7433718
It does, but more as a metadiscussion between the two. Take it with a heavy sodium diet
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.