[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to read A Clockwork Orange but I keep getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: AlexOrange.jpg (2 KB, 200x123) Image search: [Google]
AlexOrange.jpg
2 KB, 200x123
I'm trying to read A Clockwork Orange but I keep getting stuck flipping back and forth to the glossary in order to understand the Nadsat language. Does it ever come naturally or should I give up if I dont understand 10% of the way through?
>>
>>7430964
You might. A lot of it is just logical inference.

I didn't really like the book. Mostly because of the message, which is a bit fucked and a perfect example of the dangers of extreme liberalism. That being said it's worth trying to push through.
>>
>>7430964
You should be able to figure out most of it from context.
>>
>>7430964

wew lad, i didn't need the glossary once

Does this mean my IQ is above a certain point? I think so
>>
watch the movie instead
>>
I was lucky reading it because I know a Slavic language close enough to Russian to get most of the slang. It actually made the read really enjoyable and a bit funny at times

Because of that though I feel like I can't experience the book the way someone else would, trying to piece their way through the language
>>
>mfw know Russian so breezed through the book in less than a day
>>
>>7430991
I did, but my Lit 101 teacher asks us questions exclusively on topics where the book differs from the movie.
>>
>>7430989
No, it just means OP's is below.
>>
>>7431003

Read the last chapter then
>>
>>7430994
It's not half as difficult as you think it is. The movie has the exact same language and there isn't some cutaway shot explaining what each word means.
>>
>>7430964

I read this in highschool without using the glossary and understood it fine, along with everyone else in my class. Just read it and you'll start to pick up on it naturally. It might help to read it slowly the first time while checking the glossary, then re-reading it at a normal pace.
>>
You should get a hang out it soon, it was part of the fun imo
>>
>>7430964
>>7430964
ugh, they have glossaries for that?
I'd advise against reading the glossary at all. It's like having to check Know Your Meme to work out what smdhtbqhw/ufam means.
>>
Learn Russian
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.