[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books are expensive. Where can I buy cheap, preferably new books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5
File: 1360773319984.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1360773319984.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Books are expensive. Where can I buy cheap, preferably new books?

No ebooks please.
>>
File: penguin.png (614 KB, 788x538) Image search: [Google]
penguin.png
614 KB, 788x538
>>7430375
>Books are expensive
No they're not.

Amazon
>>
>>7430381
10-20$ a book is extremely expensive considering I can get through a moderately lengthed book in a few days.
>>
>>7430398

books are "free" on amazon if you sign up for Amazon unlimited, $9.99/month
>>
>no ebooks

enjoy cluttering up your living space with dead weight
>>
>>7430375
If you want new books then they will be expensive, go to a second hand book store or a charity shop. You can get books in decent quality for not much money at all.
>>
Just go on a price comparison site that compares the price among internet retailers and get the cheapest.
>>
>>7430375

Go to your library, they probably have a section for books to buy. If not, they'll have sales occasionally. I get some good shit in really good condition for $0.50 to $1
>>
>>7430398
Sounds like you have a lot of free time. Try picking up a hobby. Or, use bookz and get all your stuff for free.

If you want new hard copies and also think that books are expensive, sounds like you could spend another couple of hours per week working, and then problem solved.
>>
>>7430407
Holy shit. No way. Going to have to get a Kindle now.
>>
>>7430375
go to thrift stores they sell paperbacks of any size for two dollars each, selection isn't bad if you're willing to wait for a while sometimes
>>
>>7430412
what do you decorate your living space with? I like having a bunch of books

besides food I don't really buy anything else
>>
>>7430564
>what do you decorate your living space with?

self-portraits
>>
>>7430412

>philistines attempting opinions

lol
>>
Instead of ebooks just find the book online and print it out on cheap paper and bind it yourself.
>>
>>7430583
lel

are there people who actually do this
>>
>>7430583

or just read teh ebook like a normal human bean
>>
How to steal books?
>>
>>7430534
The selection sucks.
>>
>>7430595
stealing is wrong
>>
>>7430595
Take only one page at time and hide it under your trousers. Two if you feel daring.
>>
>>7430596
>The selection sucks.

nah its pretty great for new books
>>
>>7430610
do they have all those japanese authors I see posted here that I haven't gotten around to reading
>>
Just google used bookstores in your area, I'm sure there's some around. You might also be able to find a remainder book store, a place that sells all the extra copies that the chains no longer want to keep around. At either of those you should be able to get books for 2-5 dollars a pop.

I live in Baltimore, and there's a place here called the Baltimore Book Thing where you can just go and take as many books as you want for free. No catch except that you're legally not allowed to resell them. It's pretty fucking sweet. No idea if there's something like that in your area, but try to find out if there is.

Books are all over the damn place, man. People be trying to get rid of them.
>>
>>7430598
Morality's a spook. :^)
>>
>>7430617
>Just google used bookstores in your area, I'm sure there's some around.

m8, i don't even have a bookstore in my area, let alone a used one.
>>
>>7430620
>VIII - Thou Shalt Not Steal
how do you explain that one then, that's right from God Himself
>>
>>7430621
where do you live senpai?
>>
>>7430617
My city only has chain stores, mom and pop shops, libraries, and used textbook stores. Life is suffering.
>>
>>7430633
God is dead

>t. Nietzsche
>>
>>7430636
>mom and pop shops
what's wrong with that, isn't that just a used bookstore
>>
Thrift stores, AbeBooks.com

Public library
>>
>>7430636
not him but they don't specifically HAVE to be used bookstores to sell used books.

Do you also not have any charity shops in your area?
>>
>>7430641

Nietzsche is dead.
- God
>>
>>7430662
Religion's a spook. ^_^
>>
>>7430682

Spooks are the final spooks
>>
>>7430685
Spookbusting is a spook. 0_o
>>
what's a spook
>>
>>7430375
>CTRL+F "Ebay"
>No results

Just buy them used off ebay. There's stores like worldofbooks (UK) that are charity based and sell thousands of used books, you can find basically everything. You can refine your search to only show books rated as 'like new' or 'very good'. I've brought books rated as just 'good' for a few quid that I deem to be like new.
>>
>>7430909
yeah u can get basically any book ever on ebay for less than ten bucks, many times less than five, unless it's a new edition of a textbook or some obscure ass academic shit
>>
>>7430583
Ink and paper are expensive.
>>
>>7430598
Stealing from Large Companies is not stealing.
>>
>>7430932
>edgyteen tripe

corporations are people, friend
>>
>>7430932
Stealing private property is not stealing at all. Personal property is off limit but anything that's owned for the sole purpose of profiting off of it is fair game.
>>
>>7430936
Yeah sure
>>
>>7430932
>>7430943
Who the fuck cares about flaccid justifications?
The real problem is that if you're caught the state can lock you up under threat of violence, humans are scared of uncertainty and pain so people shy away from it because of those factors not because it's somehow not 'moral' to steal.

I'd go murder people if I also didn't have the chance to get locked up forever in a shitty little room with nothing to do.
>>
>>7430963
Man isn't inherently predisposed to kill other human beings. They might do it, for example under an authority figure, but it is against their natural instincts to do so. The law is more a deterrent than anything else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
>>
>>7430992
>takes one sociology class in high school
>>
Just go to Barnes and Noble, grab a seat, and read the books. They don't give a fuck. The library is a good option to. The library is free.
>>
>>7431172
public libraries are complete shit and dens for homeless druggies though.

My one doesn't even have fucking canterbury tales and the only edition of the Iliad they had was fucking WordsWorth.
>>
>>7431179

You must live in a very shitty place.
>>
>>7431179
Don't want to visit your hometown
>>
>>7431185
it's bretty decent, I don't go outside much anyway.
I can see why people don't go the library anymore in the UK seeing as they're so shitty.
>>
>>7430601
KEK
>>
>>7431194
They're so shitty BECAUSE nobody goes to them anymore. Not the other way around.
>>
>>7431317
Libraries don't earn money family
>>
>>7430564
>not living in a monastic looking studio apartment

Bare rooms are best.
>>
>>7431921

>anon it's great finally seeing your place but where is all your stuff?
>>what? oh. i wanted it to reflect my personality.
>>
>>7431640
They get funding from the government based on the numbers they take in and check out. If people aren't going to libraries anymore they get less funding and go to shit.
>>
>>7431943
Edgy girls love it and artsy girls love it and 'spiritual' girls love it and that's the only ones you need.
>>
>>7430662
absolutely fucking rekt
>>
>>7432009
>not having a house that is full of shit in an orderly, old fashioned book store, type set up
>the year of our senpai two thousand and fifteen
>>
>>7432035
That's nice too but I really hate having stuff personally. Living light feels great.
>>
>>7430595
Just walk in carrying a few. Slip one in between and walk out. I did it heaps when I was poor.
>>
>>7432051
I really like having a place with a buch of stuff but never being home unless I'm sleeping.
>>
>>7430412
books are one of the few physical things people should be spending money on you mongoloid
>>
>>7432083
You should have taken a selfie every time you stole a book so as to make a time lapse of you gradually transforming into a nigger, you piece of shit thief.
>>
>>7432181
kek
>>
>>7430375
paperbackswap m80
I doubt you like all of the books you have, just trade the ones you dislike. It's worked well for me.
>>
>>7430633
God said that before the internet was invented. He wouldn't say the same thing today.
>>
>>7431179
>public libraries are complete shit and dens for homeless druggies though.

that's how i met my current girlfriend. no kidding senpai.

i was there to study though. it just sort of happened.
>>
>>7430375

>cheap
>new books

pick one @ half.com
>>
>>7430412
i'm with you. none of these fags even read. they just want interior decorating tips
>>
>>7432216

>paperbackswap

Never heard of this, it looks cool, would you recommend? Do you have to live in USA? It seems the poster pays postage themselves (if the I'm understanding the website correctly) and I don't think anyone would want to pay postage to Australia.
>>
File: felicia-day-book[1].jpg (233 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
felicia-day-book[1].jpg
233 KB, 650x400
>>7430375
>Books are expensive. Where can I buy cheap, preferably new books?
You dont know half of it. If you live in a third world country it costs you 5x as much to get a good english edition of anything.
And that huge price is taken out of my 5x smaller monthly earning.

>hard cover copy of Neuromancer costs half a minimum wage
JUST
>>
>looking through used books
>one of them costs considerably more than others
>quickly check on the internet
>yep, it costs more used than it costs new
>its a book by Harrison Ford about jews

Thats some meta shit.
>>
>>7430375
Why would you want to buy new books?
>>
File: zelen.png (204 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
zelen.png
204 KB, 1024x682
Should I add this popular and well loved novel to my bookshelf for the price of a hamburger?
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 236x354
>>7432272
Hey anon, how do I find myself a literary gf? Is your gf cute and does she read books anon?
>>
>>7432272
If I am in the library to read and some nerd comes to speak to me I will be as dry as the Sahara desert.

No way any man actually got a date in a library. It doesnt happen.
Books in general are a good way to stay celibate, not to get laid.
>>
>>7432535
that's a man btw. Before you try blow him.
>>
>>7432561
He is Mads Mikkelsen you fuck. And you'd be homo if you didn't want to blow him fucking fag
>>
>>7432083
that tactic seems unnecessarily above the radar
>>
>>7432323
Is this site legitimate?
>>
>>7432559
the antarctic is actually dryer than the sahara
:^)
>>
Thriftbooks. I got real tired of sifting through actual thrift stores for what I wanted. ~$4 for the majority of books. Free shipping on orders >$10
>>
>>7430375
use alibris, it gives access to several different used book stores online, most books are .99 cents for good used quality, and the shipping typically clocks in at about 3.99, so 5 bucks for pretty much any book isnt bad at all. also you pay less for shipping if you try to buy all your books from the same store at once.
>>
>>7433395

fucking this. abebooks.com has a shittier collection but free shipping. Used bookstores are great for wildcard picks.
>>
>>7430641
You misunderstand him.
>>
>preferably new
Well, there's your problem. Where I live there'd a chain of used bookshops in the malls where you can find decent titles for about a buck or two each. It's a poor country though.
>>
>>7433431
huh, alibris gets their books from the same stores, but the 3.99 shipping makes it slightly more expensive than abebooks. those fuckers. thanks for this, i coulda saved about 40 bucks so far
>>
>>7430375
I quite like that wooden chair, where'd you get it?
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.