[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People often lie about reading classic novels, survey finds.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 224x399.jpg (14 KB, 224x399) Image search: [Google]
224x399.jpg
14 KB, 224x399
People often lie about reading classic novels, survey finds.
http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-people-lie-often-about-reading-classic-novels-survey-finds-20130906-story.html

the British survey are:

1. "1984" by George Orwell -- 26%
2. "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy -- 19%
3. "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens -- 18%
4. "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger -- 15%
5. "A Passage to India" by E.M. Forster -- 12%
6. "Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkein -- 11%
7. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee -- 10%
8. "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky -- 8%
9. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen -- 8%
10. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë -- 5%

would you, /lit/ ?
>>
no i'm actually patrician
>>
> the single most common strategy people employed to look smarter, followed closely behind by wearing eyeglasses or changing the color of one’s hair (52%)

People change the color of their hair to look smarter? How does this make sense.?

Funny how those books are literally the meme books among normies.
>>
>>7430247
>People change the color of their hair to look smarter? How does this make sense.?
Blonde to brown presumably.
>>
I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much by not reading The Catcher in the Rye desu.
>>
Haven't read a single one of them tbqh
>>
>>7430262
Have you read anything by Salinger?
>>
>>7430378
Yeah, I read Nine Stories.
>>
>people say things to impress other people

What an amazing insight, I'm baffled.
>>
>>7430394
wat u think senpai
>>
>>7430230
Of course NOBODY on /lit/ has lied about the books they've read.
>>
>>7430401
"Down at the Dinghy," "Teddy," and "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" were good. The rest weren't too memorable.

Oh yeah, I also read Franny and Zooey, but didn't like either of those stories.
>>
>>7430414
>disregarding The Laughing Man and For Esmé
If you've read his other stuff I would agree you aren't missing anything by not picking up The Catcher in the Rye though.
>>
File: 1447931773053.jpg (35 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
1447931773053.jpg
35 KB, 426x426
>>7430230
>1984
Garbage and opinionated leftist shite. Any dystopian novel is better than this. Check out We or Brave New World.

>War and Peace
Too long. Who has this kind of time to waste?

>Great Expectations
Great expectations, great disappointment, great boredom.

>The Catcher in the Rye
Angst 2edgy4me.

>A Passage to India
Never heard of this shit.

>Lord of the Rings
Tolkien spends hundreds of pages describing everything in painfully excessive detail. Just watch the films.

>To Kill a Mockingbird
High school book, nobody actually enjoys this.

>Crime and Punishment
Almost every other work by Dostoevsky is better than this.

>Pride and Prejudice
Women and their "problems".

>Jane Eyre
Read it and it was okay. Then I grew up.
>>
>>7430426
Yup. Can't see Salinger as having much more to say than what he wrote in his short stories.

>>7430436
>>War and Peace
>Too long. Who has this kind of time to waste?

Triggered.
>>
>>7430436
Good enough bait. 6/10
>>
>>7430408
Considering most people here can't write more than one line about what they supposedly read, yes, I guess it happens.
>>
File: atlas-shrugged.jpg (330 KB, 500x774) Image search: [Google]
atlas-shrugged.jpg
330 KB, 500x774
>>7430449
A good author can convey their purpose with less words. Pic related, it's a bad writer who uses too many.
>>
>>7430451
The Beatles are shit. Check out Black Manor Destruction.
>>
>>7430436
>>>/r/books
>>
>>7430230
Why would I?
>>
>>7430230
>lie about reading classic novels
#StopMiddleClassPeople2015
>>
>>7430465
List in OP belongs on /r/books to be quite honest family (shaking my head).
>>
>>7430230
No Moby Dick, Ulysses, Illiad, Inferno, Lolita, Blood Meridian, Brothers Karamazov, Stoner, The Trial, etc. Why are people such fucking plebs?
>>
>>7430247
I associate darker haired women with intelligence for whatever reason
>>
>>7430508
Because white women are dumb but foreign women aren't.
>>
>>7430513
I think it's because dumb, vain women are more likely to dye their hair
>>
>>7430629
People dye their hair so they won't be associated with people who dye their hair?
>>
>>7430698
I'm specifically referring to where I'm from, not the British survey.
>>
>>7430436
>Brave New World.
>better than 1984

You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>7430747
Huxley was actually correct. His writing is also superior.
>>
>>7430764
>Huxley was actually correct
So was Orwell, you idiot. Look at Soviet Russia and North Korea.
>>
>>7430321
Modern /lit/, everyone
>>
>>7430764
>His writing is also superior.

lmao
>>
why would i lie about reading a bunch of shit books and a minor dostoevsky?

salinger is the best author in that list
>>
File: u wot m8.gif (494 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.gif
494 KB, 500x259
>>7430230
>"The British survey was conducted as part of the publicity campaign for the release in Britain of a new DVD collection of the American series “The Big Bang Theory.”
>>
>>7430436
Anybody who says Catcher in the Rye is edgy hasn't actually read it. All of Holden's complaints seem like hyperbole until you actually see the adults in his life and realise he's mollifying his depictions of them and their actions. It's angsty, sure, but that's not really a bad thing.
>>
>>7430513
No, blondes just seem dumber than brunettes. Negresses are the ultimate bottom rung of intelligence, and Asian women are probably at the top. White women are in the middle.
>>
>tfw only read 1984 and Catcher in the Rye off that list
Tried to read C&P and P&P. Call me a pleb, but I thought they were both boring. Loved Notes however, easily my favorite book, and I've read Tolstoy (Death of Ivan Ilych + Family Happiness) and mildly enjoyed it. Am I pleb?
>>
>>7432007
Forgot to mention I've read TKAM as well.
>>
I've read 6 out of the 10 in that list.

Am I smart /lit/
>>
>>7432007
Yes, you are a pleb. Leave this board please.
>>
>>7430230
The only one I haven't read is A Passage To India. Is it worth reading?
>>
I like Forster a lot but still haven't gotten to Passage to India. Want to. And Tolstoy and Dostoevsky too. Just bought Anna Karenina.
Wouldn't lie about reading those them, I'd just talk about the books I have read by them instead.

But it's really easy to get into a conversation and let it seem like you've read the book by talking about it generally from what you know about the author/reviews etc.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.