[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which books have the same man-versus-the-unbeatable or man-versus-nature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Ahab.jpg (300 KB, 889x1240) Image search: [Google]
Ahab.jpg
300 KB, 889x1240
Which books have the same man-versus-the-unbeatable or man-versus-nature theme/feel as Moby-Dick?
>>
Definitely the Iliad.
>>
Don Quijote (fuck you English speakers) sort of
>>
>>7430215
>>7430210
I've read them both. Both those are entry level. Anything not so famous but well-written? I might be asking too much, I know.

>tfw liked Don more than the Iliad
>>
Krasznahorkai's War and War. Also Death of Virgil by Broch. Not against nature but against à greater, unknown thing I guess
>>
>>7430243
>Iliad is entry level

I almost puked at your plebbery.
>>
>>7430243
I don't think you read Don Quijote well enough since you call it entry level
It's a lot more deep than you think it is, and the good thing is that there are a lot of secondary sources that try to break it down.
>>
>>7430202
Old Man and the Sea
>>
>>7430202
Call of the Wild
>>
Jack London's To Build a Fire

Blood Meme

Some short story about a boat crew in aboat who can't get back to shore, one of them dies trying to swim back, none of them except the dead one is given a name because they're outclassed by nature, made into that which is infintessimal.
>>
>>7430350
>is read by 14 year olds in the first year of every grammar school
>not entry level

Okay, my patrician friend.

>>7430428
>>7430397
>>7430341
Thanks for the rec.
>>
>Iliad
>entry level

OP is a fucking scumbag who thinks skimming past an adapted version of the book, with a "modern" translation entitles him to call one of the most complex epics of all time "entry level".

Read Animorphs, OP. I'm sure you'll love the duality between man and animal.
>>
File: 1439489532534.gif (787 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1439489532534.gif
787 KB, 480x360
>>7430528
>>
>>7430488
And are you implying 14 year olds completely grasp it's complexity? Better tell all the scholars studying it they're wasting their time.
>>
File: assad.jpg (22 KB, 459x278) Image search: [Google]
assad.jpg
22 KB, 459x278
>>7430528
>>7430528
>>7430528
>>
>>7430243
>entry level
>misusing tfw
Sounds like time to go back to /mu/.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.