[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: alasdair_maclntyre.jpg (134 KB, 810x685) Image search: [Google]
alasdair_maclntyre.jpg
134 KB, 810x685
“Imprisoning philosophy within the professionalizations and specializations of an institutionalized curriculum, after the manner of our contemporary European and North American culture, is arguably a good deal more effective in neutralizing its effects than either religious censorship or political terror.”
>>
Yes, but what solution is he suggesting?
>>
>>7428909
Sounds like he's suggesting calling every pseudo-intellectual a real intellectual
>>
>>7428913
No, it sounds like he's saying that making philosophy the property of academia has stifled its growth and impact.

So the solution maybe is to infuse it with less unnecessary jargon and overly abstract ideas, I guess?
>>
>>7428909
He's not suggesting anything in that quote.

But he would probably argue for virtues being taught at an early age, which would then allow for a different conceptin of the social life, allowing philosophy to become a lived practice.

Which is really Aristotle's big claim in the Nicomachean Ethics. There are no answers to every problem, we should consider states of being instead.
>>
>>7428928
>>7428935
I don't think philosophy should re-focus itself on more mundane problems. I'm not saying these should be ignored, but I also refuse to accept "overly abstract ideas" as not importent. They are critically importent.

I think society needs a new way to extract what it needs from the academic development of philosophy. While the concept might sound a little disgusting to those of us already immersed in philosophy, I think we should strive for a far bigger "pop-philosophy"industry.
>>
>>7428888
The solution is more marginalized voices and people of color. Philosophy has been the exclusive province of dead white men for far too long.
>>
>>7429078
I disagree. The "pop-science", "pop-religion/spirituality/atheism", and "pop-history" currents in modern Western society haven't done that much good and have spread a great deal of misinformation among people. Pop philosophy will do much of the same. You can see this already with Wisecrack's 8-bit philosophy vids or School of Life's vids where they make several erroneous remarks.

I think the best solution would be to encourage the youth to read philosophical texts while in high school and if that piques their interest, then they can pursue it in their spare time or in academia. I don't know how academia works with philosophy but allowing educated outsiders to discuss their ideas and publish treatises and papers in journals with greater impact might be good if it's not already allowed.

I think the biggest thing that makes people avoid philosophy is the jargon and complexity of texts. Intro texts are key in this regard then for those who feel intimidated.
>>
>>7429106
Pop-science is not doing bad to science. I mean it is, but no more than it does it good. I'm not talking youtube-tier shit, there are plenty of magazines like Nature, which are written by scholars but are meant to appeal to a casual audience - by being simplified, summarized, and presented in a rather exciting way.

I still agree with everything else you said. I think high-schools should offer students a philosophy class, if not make it mandatory.
>>
>>7429130
>Nature
Nature is a bona fide journal. Philosophy mags isn't something that I would be opposed to but science mags like Wired or Popular Science can report on continuous developments or "cool" theories, while a philosophy mag would be sort of short and dry.

It feels like everything has to be commodified and/or politicized to become popular among the masses and there's something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
>>7429138
Philosophy isn't science, in the sense that reporting "new discoveries" isn't something philosophers can quite do. Well, some branches of analytic philosophy might, but I'm talking generally. Changes to the format would obviously be made, I was thinking about something like short essays about various philosophic topics, reviewing modern ideas and their place in our lives.
>>
>>7429106
>>7429130
>>7429138
Teaching the virtues is not pro or anti-pop science necessarily.

It's about self-reflection, habits and community.

But to be able to think in Aristotelian terms like "Virtue" you can't have a modern outlook.
>>
Philosophy simply is not relevant.

what new theorems or results in philosophy have their been in the last 20 years?
>>
>>7429093
Agree with your statement. But it does not address OP. Will the stifling of philosophy in the system of academia end if blacks and spooks take all the jobs? Nope lol
>>
>>7429313
>implying philosophy is supposed to be useful for extrinsic ends
>missing the point of OP
>>
>>7429361
>tfw when you don't know if it's you or the other person who doesn't notice sarcasm
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.