[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think about this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg (85 KB, 295x453) Image search: [Google]
Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg
85 KB, 295x453
What does /lit/ think about this?
>>
>>7428657
the book fuckin sucked, anon. go read Oblomov.

confederacy of dunces was posthumously awarded after the mum begged publishers to even give it a second glance, and was likely only given that honor due to neckbeard suicide.

for the love of humanity, don't support this book and what it means.
>>
>>7428660
Damn anon, sounds like this book really touched you
>>
>>7428657
I thought it was stunningly unfunny for how much praise people gave it.

I literally thought I maybe got the wrong Confederacy of Dunces, like there must be some other book by the same name that's way better, but no.

The kind of people who laugh at this book laugh at farts and stuff like that.

They like the kind of jokes where the punchline is that a guy is stupid or looks stupid or says or does something stupid. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
>>
>>7428657
Oh my GAUD! I can not believe /lit/, of all places, would ask such philistine questions! Good LORD what is this board coming to? It's as if /r/books had an abortion and we are the mutilated foetus! This thread is a miscarriage! Leave, OP, leave, I demand it of you, you demagogue of degeneracy!
>>
>>7428657
Decent read. In a lot of ways in an inane portrait of its time seen through the eyes of a deranged individual. The humour is actually very broad, the people criticizing it for being too low-brow are themselves too stupid to pick up on the high-brow humour.
>>
shilled by tucker max for years back on his old website in the hayday of rudius media. Somehow became a cult classic from that
>>
File: 1424617246479.jpg (44 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1424617246479.jpg
44 KB, 375x375
>>7428657
It was amusing, but uneven. Ahead of its time.

The author made Ignatius act out of character/pull punches at several key points to keep him likable and not too /pol/, so that weakened it a bit.

Its sort of humor was perfected later by Larry David.

I listened to it as an audiobook with a decent performer who really brought life to the lines and felt like it really benefited. I don't know that I would have thought so much of it if I'd read it myself.
>>
I think it was okay. There's physical humor in it, which is why some of the people here have likened it to fart jokes, but there's also a good amount of Seinfeld-type humor, as the poster above said.

It felt to me like a greentext story set in New Orleans in the early 1960s. Pretentious /pol/ character plays the lead, has hijinks. It's well-written, but seemed overrated. I don't think it has aged well as a comedic book.

By the way, if you're looking for something deep, avoid this book. The most heartfelt parts of it are genuine self-loathing, obscured by a thick sheet of irony and sardony. Had the author lived to see this book become successful, the next book he wrote would probably have been better.
>>
>>7428793
what's the funniest book you've ever read? genuinely curious
>>
>>7428793
edgyyyy
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.