[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/, is there any books like dark souls? Deep lore, interconnected
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: dark-souls(1).jpg (31 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls(1).jpg
31 KB, 600x300
Hi /lit/, is there any books like dark souls?

Deep lore, interconnected worlds, great character progression.
>>
>videogames
>great character progression
>like anyone could be so grossly incandescent
>>
The Odyssey
>>
Literature: Beowulf, Book of the New Sun
Film: The Seventh Seal
Mango: Berserk
>>
the beauty of Dark Souls is that the feelings it captures can only happen within a video game
>>
>>7428667
>Book of the New Sun
You know what? That's actually not a bad recommendation.
>>
>are there any books like my favourite videogame?
>are there any books like my favourite anime?

Every single day. These threads are the worst. Fuck off, OP.
>>
>>7428640
For me, not knowing who or what or why in Dark Souls was a huge part of the fun, but I think there can't be the mystery which comes from the unknown in a book. In a video game, there are other tasks for you to complete and focus on without knowing aspects of the story. Finding out is fun, because you can still focus on the gameplay. There is no gameplay in a book, if huge and important details are withheld from the reader then, unless they're cleared up quickly, or placed aside other knowns, then the reader isn't going to know what the fuck is going on. That may seem wild and experimental, but there is a difference between wacky writing and bad management of what the reader knows and doesn't.
>>
>>7428832
>there can't be the mystery that comes from the unknown in a book.

Read Latro in the Mist.
>>
>>7428819
I was about to recommend that too.
>mysterious lore told in fragments
>themes of entropy and cyclical history
Dark souls is new sun the game
>>
>>7428819
>>7428863
That's always the first and often only recommendation that gets brought up whenever someone comes in and makes the "any books like dark souls" thread, which is at least every few days, to the point where I'm seriously considering the possibility that you're all of you memeing right now
>>
>>7428966
why would you expect a different answer each time?
>>
>>7428993
Because we live in an indeterministic universe
>>
>>7428667
Seventh Seal is nothing like Dark Souls
>>
>>7429001
Oh, do we? That's cute that you think so.
>>
File: 2014-05-26_00004.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-26_00004.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
>>7428640
>dark souls
hi, reddit!
>>
>>7429818
It was a bit of a stretch, but they both share themes of existentialism, nihilism, a focus on death, apocalypse, and pessimism; plus a medieval setting and a world where the God(s) are not apparent.

I put it in there as a 'if you liked X, then you might like Y' suggestion.
>>
>>7429818
Neither is book of the new sun, but there may be enough superficial elements to have crossing fan bases.
>>
Virconium
>>
>>7428831
"Hi, I come from a different board and one of the most useful parts of this image board is that there are different sections for different interests. but because I never really got into the topic of this board in my youth I am very unaware of how to judge the content or experience it for myself, I would like a reference point to this other form of media/activity that is similar to a known media/activity. Could you help me with that?" pasta
>>
>>7428640
The Black Company.
>>
>>7429882
this is the best rec in the thread
>>
>>7428640
>character progression
>in dark souls
wat? have you even played dark souls?
>>
>>7430012
Hey if you are an M. John Harrison fan, what do I read after Virconium?
>>
File: 1349008715384.jpg (98 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1349008715384.jpg
98 KB, 960x720
>>7429837
>reddit
It as if there never was or is a Demon/Dark Souls general in /vg/. Reddit you say?
>>
>videogame

Manchilds should leave.
>>
>>7430291
bumping to spite this post :)
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.