[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kierkegaard and Regine Olsen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Kierk.jpg (8 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
Kierk.jpg
8 KB, 201x251
What does /lit/ think about Regine Olsen's influence on Soren Kierkegaard's work?

In my mind, looking on his life, it seems that following his departure from their engagement he wrote his best work, and that there's a sort of subtext in all of his philosophical discourse of his attempt to cope with not only leaving her, but feeling that he was never worthy to be her husband. Regine herself is a fantastic and intriguing figure on her own, but I'm curious what others think was her influence if any on the works that came out of Kierkegaard following his trip to Berlin (the sight of his authorship of Either/Or) and subsequently her influence on the philosophy of Existentialism due to her influence on Kierkegaard.
>>
>>7426931

The Regine dynamic is the most interesting part of Kierkegaard imo.

>that there's a sort of subtext in all of his philosophical discourse of his attempt to cope with not only leaving her

I think on his death bed he said how he regretted leaving her. But he probably would've failed as husband due to his autism and depression.
>>
>>7426931
>tfw you're still on the Greeks so you can't discuss these philosophers yet
>>
>>7426957
I totally agree on it being interesting. I'm fascinated with the idea that such a broad and important tradition like Existentialism could've been influenced by one man's tragic love.

>But he probably would've failed as husband due to his autism and depression.
I think that's what he thought as well. There's an interesting line in his journals where he says that he wanted to love her and be her husband, but was simply "incapable". It made me think because of how similar it is to how in Fear and Trembling his pseudonym is similarly incapable of understanding Abraham.

>>7426975
M8 just read it, and try to hit the Greeks as well on the way. You can always re-read more modern stuff afterwards anyways, if anything that would make it even more rewarding to see how your views on it have changed. Just give one of his publications a shot and I guarantee you will be happier than if you hold yourself back purposely.
>>
My impression of it was that he was worried she wasn't smart enough for him, he would ultimately be dissatisfied, then he had to prove it too himself.
>>
File: 1440041907489.jpg (31 KB, 416x700) Image search: [Google]
1440041907489.jpg
31 KB, 416x700
Basically he spent his entire life doing mental gymnastics about how God would somehow return Regine to him via a paradox or miracle, like what happened to Abraham

He kind of cukcked himself pretty bad saying something like he'd be happy at least to be in heaven with Regine and her husband, all three together ;_;
>>
>>7427592
Do you really think it was intellect? I've always seen it as a personal insecurity on Kierk's part rather than insecurity about Regine. What makes you say that?

>>7427617
I see the parallel, but would that mean that Kierkegaard had the same kind of faith as Abraham and the "Knight of Faith" in Fear and Trembling? I understand that Kierk cannot necessarily be equated with his pseudonyms, but I have trouble believing that he could say that he had that level of faith in the absurd while writing under the guide of someone who couldn't understand it.
>>
>>7427697
>Do you think it was intellect?

I'll admit I just projected my own self centered thoughts onto him because I went through a nearly identical relationship crisis and reading him helped me rationalize and come to terms with ending it
>>
i think she was influential but people overstress her importance.
>>
>>7427754

it was pretty obvious you were talking out of your ass t.bh f.am
>>
>>7426975
>tfw halfway through plato and already have augustine, spinoza, and kierkegaard on my shelf waiting for me
>tfw will take months if not years to reach kierk
>>
>>7426975
>not having read Kirks desertation on Socrates

Literally my 4th philosophy book after the The Republic, Laws and Politics. It helped me prepare for Hegel eventually.
>>
https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/keeper-loves-flame-regine-olsen-soren-kierkegaard
Here's a short read about Regine and Soren. I always have a laugh when Kierkegaard threatens to shoot someone.

>>7427617
Was that specifically stated by Kierkegaard? I feel like this is conjecture based on a pseudonymous work.
>>
File: the concept of irony.jpg (13 KB, 262x400) Image search: [Google]
the concept of irony.jpg
13 KB, 262x400
>>7428133
The Concept of Irony is also good as an intro to Kierk because of its brevity. He has the tendency to ramble (beautifully, but sometimes too much so) and his thesis is much more to the point than a lot of his other works. I'd highly recommend reading it, then perhaps Either/Or or Fear and Trembling depending on what the reader thought of the thesis.

>>7429838
>https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/keeper-loves-flame-regine-olsen-soren-kierkegaard
I actually have that exact review already tabbed up! I loved reading it, I almost wish I knew Danish so I could read the book itself, although from what the comments seem to imply it seems that Garff included much of the substance of the relationship in his earlier bio of Kierkegaard.

Where does he threaten to shoot someone?
>>
>>7426931

He couldn't love God enough to love another through God. I cannot comprehend the pain. Anti-depressants. I know another despair in trade. That which allows me no emotion. No humanity through.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.