[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm on page eighty and this book is doing a splendid job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 312x471) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 312x471
I'm on page eighty and this book is doing a splendid job of making me feel like a fucking idiot.
>>
supposed to
>>
Haven't read it. How does it compare to Gravity's Rainbow?
>>
You are. It is pretty idiotic to read 80 pages of bad literature
>>
File: 14492780737152.jpg (104 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
14492780737152.jpg
104 KB, 683x1024
You're like the freshman tripping over the hurdle, arms out, the rubbery track of reality jumping up into your face while everyone laughs—but don't worry, that cute cure with the blue bow and beautiful bum wasn't even paying attention.

What is giving you difficulty?
>>
>>7426789
Conciser.
>>
>>7426789
Similar style to GR and V, a lot more streamlined though. Basically a short fairly-lucid detective/picaresque story in GR's style. Most closely resembles the writing in Part 3 with Slothrop on the run in The Zone.

I fucking love the book but I know a lot of people aren't fond of it and I sort of understand why. If you like GR give it a shot. Can be read in one day easily.

Biggest fault in the book is its weak lead-up to the ending. Too much exposition and Pynchon showing his cards (blowing his load?) in a way that feels clunky and editor-appeasing.

Or, how I describe it to people who've never read/heard of Pynchon, it's kind of like a Coen Brother's movie.
>>
>>7426808
So, equally meaningless?
>>
>>7426789
It's much more digestible, for one. I never felt the sense of idiocy OP feels, more so a sense of unanimity that someone else shared these thoughts and perspectives at one point in time.
>>
>>7426814
Cohen Brothers are not much like Pynchon. Pynchon is more like Werner Herzog
>>
File: 14492728044412.png (973 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
14492728044412.png
973 KB, 1280x853
>>7426817
It would be fore you, I guess. You normal person piece of GAHBAGE.
>>
>>7426830
that girl looks like she has a diaper
>>
>>7426827
Noooope. That guy got it right. 49 is very much a Coen Bros. type a thing.
>>
>>7426827
I think Lot 49 reads like something between The Big Lebowski and A Serious Man.

The Dr. Hilarius scenes especially I can visualize as shot by the coens, masters of the conversation-with-a-goofy-professional-at-his-desk shots

having seen only aguirre and fitzcarraldo i can't really comment on how much herzog is like pynchon, (though neither of those films resemble him at all)
>>
>>7426833
she needs one for her face
>>
>>7426795
What does Nefastis' Machine do?
How is the bone charcoal in Beaconsfield cigarettes linked with The Courier's Tragedy?
What the hell is wrong with Oedipa?

Does it even matter?

Actually, I now realise I am getting most of it. Pynchon's writing is just so bloody dense.
>>
>>7426873
whether we read the man behind the curtain as nonexistent and only a product of oedipa's obsessing over coincidences, or as pierce, as someone from trystero, or pynchon himself, someone/something is leading her and us to the trystero system and beaconsfield is a clue. a highly imporbable, highly impractical clue, but pierce's, trystero's, certainly pynchon's influences are wide. improbability and impracticality are not an issue
>>
pynchon is entry-tier, you finding him incomprehensible means you are even lower than an entry-tier reader. no offence but either it's a question of you being too young/mentally inexperienced or simply not on par intellectually. that being said, well, yup.
>>
>>7426873
>What does Nefastis' Machine do?
it allows sensitives to break the rules of thermodynamics, creating action without work.

in it reflect's oedipas struggle. entropy. the failure of communication, a key theme to the book, and the heart of its characters issues. entropy in a thermodynamic sense paralelling oedipa's threads of intrigue and the trystero system constantly expanding. she's maxwell's demon trying to sort things out but alas you cannot break the rules of thermodynamics
>>
I really didn't find it that hard to follow truth be told.
>>
>>7426922
I'm seventeen, but I feel as though I'm at an above average reading level. Read Inherent Vice and liked it, and I realised that I am following the book, it's just that Pynchon's style of writing feels more complex than it actually is, if that makes any sense. Fuck, I dunno.
>>
>>7426970
>it's just that Pynchon's style of writing feels more complex than it actually is,
It's just that his style IS complex. Don't be such a smug fucking asshole. You don't know more about writing than he does.

Also
>seventeen
>>
>>7426970
Inherent Vice is watered down shit for plebs, read Pynchon's early works retard...Inherent Vice is about as representative of Pynchon's works as Bitches Brew is of Miles Davis.
>>
>>7426998
>shitting on bitches brew
inherent vice is NOTHING LIKE YOU HAS EV ER BEEN SEED BEEEFOOOOOOOOOOOR
>>
>>7427009
i didn't "shit on" bitches brew, but some stoner listening to a late in life jazz fusion jam session and think that has anything to do with davis's oeuvre would be a a deluded shithead
>>
>>7426994
Yeah, I didn't word that properly. I just meant to say he writes difficultly, but I know that's a part of his appeal.
>>
>>7427038
The appeal is not the difficulty, it's the density of writing once you're able to read it easily
>>
so we have those retarded bookshelf threads all the time right? most of the time you see comics/vidya shit>Stephen King/Koontz>LotR/GoT

so I assume a lot of /lit/ migrates from /v/ or /tv/ having become bored of whichever medium and then pick up books that are similar to video games or tv. but what else is always on those shelves? the meme books, or more accurately-considering i really haven't seen discussion about the actual novels-the meme authors. i've seen people post about how they couldn't stop picturing the scenes in IJ or GR as anime. i think that is relevant.

basically i think the meme novels are devoid of any existential themes, or human meaning. Ulysses is pointless without the existence of other novels to compare, Gravity's Rainbow is empty beyond its metaphors. Infinite Jest, even though it's a DeLillo fanfic, and with all of Wallace's knowledge of philosophy, has no existential meaning.

Is this why so many autists flock to the memes?
>>
>>7427037
spot on then.
>>
>>7427106
completely worthless post.
all three of those books are widely acclaimed pieces of literature and anything but 'empty'

you probably haven't read them.
>>
Y'all get it then
>>
>>7427106
Stop projecting.
>Ulysses is pointless without the existence of other novels to compare,
This is simply untrue.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.