[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there literally any single reason at all to ever prefer a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1448857316990.png (305 KB, 630x422) Image search: [Google]
1448857316990.png
305 KB, 630x422
Is there literally any single reason at all to ever prefer a physical book to an ebook except for being a pseud?
No.
>>
They look cooler and it feels nice to hold them.
>>
>>7422855
sometimes books are cheaper
>>
>>7422855
Preference is preference. Totally personal.

I like to physically feel my place in the book, and infinite jest wouldn't have been the same without flipping that fat bitch back and forth manually.
>>
>>7422855
What if there's no ebook available for some particular title? Not all of them have digital editions.
Or, what if you suddenly had to eat the book? You wouldn't want to be forced to eat an ebook reader, phone, or tablet.
>>
>>7422855
You're more likely to remember what you read because it has a physical location.
>>
>>7422889
it has a more postmodernist feel on an ereader
>>
>>7422855
I have an easier time have a relationship with a book when I have a physical copy - it helps me actually finish it instead of getting distracted (also, a physical ISN'T on the same device as 4chan is, which also helps my focus).

Also also you can read conveniently in public (not to show off - I do it in a secluded meadow in a park near my house cause its nice to read in the sun).
>>
I find reading on an ereader fragments my experience more than with a book and I find it harder to remember. I still use it for obscure shit I can't find in my library.
>>
>>7422879
Basically this. I especially enjoy purchasing vintage books.
>>
>>7422855
Bitchy female alert
>>
>>7422968
wtf are you saying physical books are more masculine or some shit? I bet you subscribe to /r/ArtOfManliness you fucking fedora. I bet you jack off while listening to Cat's Cradle
>>
File: 1372291618489.jpg (405 KB, 922x1144) Image search: [Google]
1372291618489.jpg
405 KB, 922x1144
>>7422855

>annotating on a little pleb "e-reader"

not gonna make it
>>
So people can see how erudite I am

This is in Persian, so none of you plebs will understand it, but if you watch, I think you will get the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RhwxqYmua8
>>
>>7423044
That was hilarious. I know Arabic so I caught some of what was being said.

Do you have book recs for learning Farsi?
>>
tHe SmElL oF yElLoWeD pAgEs StIrS mY sOuL
>>
>>7423053
>I know Arabic so I caught some of what was being said.

No, you didn't. At best, you caught several random words. Farsi is an Indo-European language while Arabic is a Semitic language. Farsi has a few Arabic loan words, but nothing more.
>>
>>7422855
Navigating ebooks is actually a lot more cumbersome than just flipping through pages. The search functionality is nice, though. I imagine ebooks will get better and better formatting as time goes on. But right now a lot of kindle books are formatted like trash.
>>
>>7423058
Yeah. "Some of what was being said" was "random words and phrases".
>>
I read before bed and looking at a screen isn't very relaxing. I use Kindle during the day sometimes though. It's also more cumbersome to flip back and re-read something on an ereader.
>>
>>7423063
If you're going to be such a cunt about it, then you can find you own Farsi language books. Bitch.
>>
>>7423069
OK. Have a good night then.
>>
>>7423069
you're such a fucking cunt, you know that?
>>
I like seeing physical manifestations of my progress rather than a page count at the corner of a screen.

Plus, it's nice to carry around a book and see it get more and more broken in, sort of like a pair of shoes (I take very good care of my books btw; wear and tear is inevitable though). It's nice to look at a book and think about all the places and moments you've shared with it.
>>
I like the look of having a bookshelf full of books.
But not enough to pay for enough books to fill bookshelves, so ereader it is for me.
>>
>>7423076
Deal w/ it, cunt. Life's a bitch.
>>
i bought a book i have a pdf of for 50 bucks i feel sort of guilty since i dont have space for fuckloads of books never mind i could have god a ralph lauren polo on black friday instead
>>
>>7423098
i'm not him. he asked you a fucking question and then you started acting all uppity like an asshole

fuck off
>>
>>7423104
No, you
>>
>>7422855
Yes
>>
>>7423116
i didn't know iranians were such fucking cunts
>>
>>7423120
>Implying I'm Iranian
>Implying people can't learn Persian
>Implying I'm going to tell you the books I used

kek, stay mad faggot. If you need people to point out what books to use on fucking 4chan, you're never going to make it. It's called Google and Amazon, you fucking raging cunt
>>
>>7422914
[citation needed]
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.