[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I know a lot of us are probably looking for ways
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1445659673852.png (19 KB, 671x673) Image search: [Google]
1445659673852.png
19 KB, 671x673
Hey /lit/,

I know a lot of us are probably looking for ways to make a living with writing. I'm not talking about novel publishing here, I mean day jobs that can pay rent and bread and butter.

Share what experiences you've had doing technical writing, editing, journalism, internships and other positions. What qualifications helped you land good jobs? Where do you suggest looking?
>>
>>7422053
I wrote washing-machine advertisments online. Job's limited to students. Made about 100€, was not worth it.
>>
I'm an intern at a publishing house in nyc. I work for free.
>>
>>7422053
Dzanc Books does remote editing and marketing internships.

I'm not sure who's in charge of interns now, but it was pretty darn fun when I did it. Initially it was helping around with the website through the backend, but later it was more on the editing side, reviewing manuscript submissions, mostly.

I already had a BA when I applied to it. You don't get paid, but I had thought you got free books (honestly that's the reason I applied, but it was still fun regardless).

I proofread for one small publisher and do developmental editing for another, both very occasional because of the infrequency with which they put out books. I think I got in with both of them because I really adore the field they both put out books in. So I gushed a bit, sincerely, and mentioned the books of theirs I liked (and I messaged one about a blog entry specifically, which probably earned me points, since I imagine anyone is happy to know the publisher blog is actually read).

I got both of those after the editing internship, and one year into my MA with a focus on rhetoric and composition.

I would suggest looking for any opening with publishers you're already interested in, especially the small ones. Maybe even when they're not advertising an opening. Be friendly, genuine and show that you care about literature. But don't always count on it paying. You'll always get free books at the very least (and that's where a lot of my money goes anyway).

I make my living grading standardized tests now; I wasn't going to count on freelance editing. Most tests call for teaching experience, but a graduate degree was apparently a suitable alternative qualification. You can do it for ETS and Pearson, there may be others.
>>
>>7426569

oh fuck me the markets saturated with post grads, isn't it?
>>
>>7422053
After leaving uni I worked at Boeing writing technical shit (safety articles, etc). Was okay, paid the bills, but not rewarding. I quit after a little over 2 years.
>>
>>7428890
I did the same at Yoyodyne.
>>
>>7426517
Worth it?
>>
File: easy on the bananas.jpg (140 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
easy on the bananas.jpg
140 KB, 600x400
>>7429035
>>
>>7428191
The market for what? Most freelance editors seem to be middle aged women. Not /lit/ types.
>>
>>7429035
Banzai institute is where the rewarding work is.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.