[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books you had to read it school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Speak_1st_Edition_Cover.jpg (21 KB, 299x400) Image search: [Google]
Speak_1st_Edition_Cover.jpg
21 KB, 299x400
What did you have to read anon
>>
Lord of The Flies, 1984, Death of Ivan Ilyich, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Pretty good stuff I guess.
>>
>>7421581
Yeah outside of speak I read animal farm, Oedipus, hamlet, Macbeth, an lots of Poe
>>
>liked:

Shakespeare's works
Of Mice and Men

>meh:
Night. It's not a bad book, I was just tired of reading about the fucking holocaust in school so it was really tiresome to read.

>shit / can't remember:
The rest, mostly godawful young adult fiction.
>>
Swedish /lit/izen, some of the books we read in upper secondary were either Kallocain or 1984, Candide, Romeo and Juliet, Det går an, Fröken Julie, Sorrows of Young Werther and some other ones which I'm not capable of remembering the titles of atm. Outside of our curriculum I also chose to read these for the essays we had to write: Steppenwolf, The Trial, The Castle, The Metamorphosis
>>
Lord of the Flies
Macbeth
Romeo & Juliet
Tuesdays with Morrie

forget the rest.
>>
>Had to read
Some random pleb book about a girl that was raped and killed
Memed, My Hawk (but we were in different groups so everyone didn't read that one)
First chapter of The Metamorphosis
Some short texts of Strindberg
Various short stories

>Own choice among a few options
Animal Farm (yes I was a pleb and picked the shortest one)

>Own choice
Let the Right One In

I read A Dream Play when we did a presentation about Strindberg, but that was completely voluntary; one didn't have to read any works except the the aforementioned short texts.

We also went to Stockholm and saw some Molière play.
>>
File: 1439010262570.jpg (98 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
1439010262570.jpg
98 KB, 504x470
Required reading for my high school English classes 9-12

The Outsiders, Hinton
Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
To Kill a Mockingbird, Lee
Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare
Lord of the Flies, Golding
Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck
Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare
The Road, McCarthy
Handmaid's Tale, Atwood
Macbeth, Shakespeare

Plus 1-3 book reports on novels of our choice a year, and several short stories (mostly Canadian)
>>
>>7421558
Great Expectations
A Christmas Carol (seriously read it like four times in school)
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
Animal Farm
The Pearl
The Crucible
The Scarlet Letter
Macbeth
Everything else in Senior year were chunks of longer works like Beowulf, Canterbury, etc. My senior teacher seriously wasted almost half of the semester on writing one short research paper.

Only title I hated was The Pearl.
>>
>>7421778
Shit, and The Outsiders, To Kill a Mockingbird, and we wasted forever on the Spoon River Anthologies. My English teachers were pretty damn lazy.
>>
i was never asigned to read until college.
>>
>>7421558
>Great Expectations
Was good
>Jane Eyre
Was shit
>The things they carried
Was fucking great
>Anthony & Cleopatra
Pretty good
>The Good Rain
Decent non-fiction book about the PNW (where I live)

There was also a book about GMO's and the food processing industry. Guy went around the country visiting various places along with commentary. All included natural ways of finding food. Like there was one chapter where he went hunting with an Italian living in Northern California. They hunted pig. And then made a big old meal with it.
Some parts were a bit boring but honestly it was fairly enjoyable for what it was.
>>
>>7421642
>in public school
>reading night
>student teacher going down rows, making everyone read a few pages
>gets to me
>give no fucks about book
>nobody is really paying attention
>start reading in ridiculous, very bad Irish accent.
>a page or 2 passes
>it's a really sad part, about his dad
>continue reading in accent so as to not rouse students who aren't paying attention, with the sudden change
>fucking student teacher makes me continue through sad part, probably as punishment
>eventually stop accent
I'm getting embarrassed just thinking about it.
>>
File: 978-3-15-000012-0.jpg (12 KB, 250x386) Image search: [Google]
978-3-15-000012-0.jpg
12 KB, 250x386
I go to school in germany, we sometimes read classics and sometimes books that are "appropriate" for our age...
>tfw reading books like William Tell and Kleider machen Leute alongside shitty YA novels in school
>>
>>7423910
We also had to read Roald Dahls Mathilda in fucking 8th grade.
>>
Was in an extended 'literature' class, taught by a Cambridge doctorate.

We spent an entire semester on David Foster Wallace
>>
Romeo & Juliet
Night
fucking Looking for Alaska

I then started homeschooling because fuck all of that already
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.