[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American South
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Us_south_census.png (16 KB, 566x365) Image search: [Google]
Us_south_census.png
16 KB, 566x365
Best authors/books regrading the American South Mainly 1850-1950 period
>>
>>7421497
Faulkner
>>
>>7421525
This and Violent Bear It Away by O'Connor
>>
>>7421497
Literature as a whole sucks here. My entire area is fixated on regional fiction. I read to let me get out of the south, in my head, for a little while.
>>
>>7421497
Flannery O'Connor is brilliant.
>>
>>7421525
this and Faulkner
>>
>>7421497
Frank Stanford - The Battlefield Where The Moon Says I Love You
>>
Kate Chopin.
>>
Eudora Welty's pretty deece.
>>
>>7421576
THIS. Also check out Faulkner, too.
>>
>>7421525
>>7421576
>>7421703
These. Faulkner too.
>>
Look Homeward, Angel; and You Can't Go Home Again. Chickamauga. Wolfe is under-rated and unappreciated. Everybody knows Faulkner from the syllabus.
>>
>>7421497
Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb
>>
>>7421947
I just remembered Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell
>>
>>7421656
This
>>
Robert Penn Warren's All The King's Men is pretty good.
>>
>>7421551
This. I've read so much southern fiction that it all runs together and gets corny. Fuck this backwards hick-town and everyone in it. Cambridge, MA awaits.
>>
>>7422800
Imagine being in a southern college for creative writing. Anything written including hick accents and a bayou (LA here) in my classes automatically would be praised. Many of the special interest classes are focused on Southern lit, the professors on staff who write write Southern lit. The prof who was actually really good at it just officially retired.
>>
>>7422827
At least you guys have a regional literary tradition to be proud of. Colorado reporting in. No unique culture or heritage whatsoever.
>>
>>7422800
>Wants diversity of ideas
>Goes to Moscow-on-the-Charles

I got bad news for you...
>>
>>7423036
I've lived in Cambridge before. Plenty of rich techies and frat boys who are conservative but more informed than hillbillies tend to be. Sure, the balance is liberal, but I was delighted at how open people were to my unorthodoxly racist, jingoistic, and anti-utopian views. Smart people are hard to satisfy, and they love novelty, so if you present them with something interesting they tend to pay attention.
>>
>to kill a mockingbird
>>
>>7421525
The obvious and correct answer.
>>
>>7422827
isn't working in and continuing the southern literary tradition the entire reason those programs exist?
>>
OP, you should check out ol' Bill Faulkner
>>
You should listen to some of the regional music of the area if you want a true grasp on the region. Most of what we know as American Folk Music stems from the South.
>>
>>7422827
>The prof who was actually really good at it just officially retired.

Richard Ford? Gives us a name, anon.
>>
THOMAS WOLFE: LOOK HOMEWARD, ANGEL
>>
Foldknerr. Specially the Noise and the Rage, While I Rest Passing Away and Absalon, Absalon?
>>
William Faulkner
John Crowe Ransom
James Branch Cabell
Mark Twain
Ellen Glasgow
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.