[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pick a Bible verse that fits with this man or his works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1446159769069.png (440 KB, 652x466) Image search: [Google]
1446159769069.png
440 KB, 652x466
Pick a Bible verse that fits with this man or his works
>>
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.
>>
"damn"
>>
And Jesus wept
>>
>>7420307
explain
>>
What hast thou overwrought?
>>
>>7420341
There once was a man named Dave
Who feared the rose of a close shave
He picked up a line
Thought, this will do fine
now he's a leaf at tree's end
That does not fall with the season
>>
>>7420263

>"A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards."
>Proverbs 29:11, KJV
>>
>>7420263

For the undergraduate Wallace, striving to know and understand everything, tackling his studies and daring to write Broom of the System as his thesis on Wittgenstein:
>Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body. --Eccl. 12:12
(also good for his endeavor to write IJ and Pale King)

For the way he threw himself body and soul into his teaching, reading everything his students wrote 3x, etc.:
>Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. ... I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. --1 Cor. 9:19, 22

For the 9/11 dread he expressed in 'The View from Mrs. Thompson's' and the solace he sought in a community of faith:
>The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. --Prov. 9:10

For the depressed, despairing Wallace who never found peace:
>If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. --1 Cor 13:1-2
>>
>>7420263
>"...I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind. For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow."

>Ecclesiastes 1:16-18
>>
I'm struck by the coincidence that Scott Weiland died in Bloomington MN, where Wallace lived and taught.
>>
>>7420445
>CERN berenstain meme
>>
>>7420554
lol oh shit I laffed when that may may was going around
>>
>>7420360
I don't understand what this means. When is afterwards?
>>
>>7420396
thanks. What about for someone wanting to connect the Christian mood in some of his fiction with the divine?
>>
".. and thou shalt not give in to autism nor give in to the temptress of 'Audience Pussy".. for those who break said commandment will be cursed with no discernible talent'..
I forgot what book of the Bible this was said in but i remember it was in red text which i'm not really sure if that means anything.. maybe the precursor for green text?
>>
>>7420357
8/10 i lol'd
>>
>>7421217
...what.

How can you not understand it?
>>
>>7421217
Either keep it in or say it at some point, why would saying it all "after the fact" make it good
>>
>>7421231

Mario Incandenza comes to mind, with his humbleness and good heart:
>“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
>“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
>“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ -- Mt. 25:34-40

or
>Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. --Phil. 2:1-4

It seems like something from John should apply, but nothing specific is coming to mind atm.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.