[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished with the last of Dostoevsky's works that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: karam.jpg (251 KB, 775x1236) Image search: [Google]
karam.jpg
251 KB, 775x1236
I just finished with the last of Dostoevsky's works that I could get my hands on. I think he's truly excellent and really enjoyed every single one of his books, even the slightly less respected works.

What novels/authors are similar in tone and material to some of Dostoevsky's works? I'm really after something similar to catch my attention.
>>
>>7419871
kafka
>>
>>7419876

Which would you recommend to begin with? Thanks, by the way.
>>
>>7419876
Yeah, this, Kafka overtly said he thought of Dostoevsky as "a blood relative", and that his work was heavily influenced by him.
>>
I think Gide said Hamsun is the true Dostoevsky's successor.
>>
>>7419871

The Double is by and large a ripoff, thematically and stylistically, of a more poignant Gogol story.
>>
Yeah, OP, go with Kafka. Start with The Meramorphosis or The Judgement.

>>7419892
Thank you for your contribution, Vladimir.
>>
>>7419890
You might be right.
>>
>>7419899

Thank you very much, I'll do exactly that. I'll make sure to visit again and beg for recommendations when I've read them. :^)
>>
Whats your opinion about "the idiot"?
>>
>>7419940

I actually loved it. I thought it was kind of beautiful, and it really spoke to me.

Crime and Punishment was where I started, then I read The Idiot second and whilst I thought C&P was great, The Idiot felt better for me. I think what I liked about it is that the characters were somehow representative of people I've met, their characteristics and motivations were believable, and whilst it was really sad it didn't feel like forced drama.

I'm definitely going to read it again - I thought about Crime and Punishment when I first read it, and realised when I was younger I wouldn't have liked it as much (I'm 24 now). Noticing that, I can only assume as my experiences grow I might find these novels even better or at least different to my first read.
>>
>>7419871
actually, apparently hemingway was greatly inspired by the constance garnett translations of dostoevsky, i would personally suggest you read some gogol's short stories, (the portrait for one) maybe some of the grand scale of victor hugo might keep you on a lengthy track (not very similar in prose though) you could try other russians, leskov, turgenev, bely, i have heard balzac mentioned in the same breath as dostoevsky as well. if you want an american that won't let you down, gaddis. definitely gaddis. with him you might not realize how much he is affecting you until you finish, and note how much you recall some of the concepts and apply them to your life.
>>
How does Humiliated and Insulted measure up to his more famous works?

Also, I'd recommend Chekhov.
>>
>>7419940

it was really good book, my favorite Dostoevsky work.

Nastasya Filipovna can represent a face of woman in chaos, the part when she throw the money to the fire to see if Ganya can get it out its gorgeous.
>>
>>7419871

For Crime and Punishment: I wonder what a close comparison with The Stranger would be like

For Demons: Fathers and Sons

for The Idiot: Oblomov

For The Adolescent: Catcher in the Rye

For The Brothers Karamazov: it would be an interesting to read Infinite Jest around the same time and compare the two; also this is where I'll put Dead Souls

For works like 'Poor Folk' and 'Novel in Nine Letters': Dickens, especially something like Oliver Twist

For his early works with overt (attempts at) humor like 'Under the Bed' and the one with the eccentric general: Dickens again, with all his wacky side characters; maybe The Pickwick Papers

For Netochka Nezvanovna: Little Dorritt

For 'Notes from the House of the Dead': 'The Gulag Archipelago' by Solzhenitsyn

For 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding', 'White Nights', 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree': back to Dickens, specifically his Christmas novellas and short stories (Christmas Carol of course, but also The Cricket on the Hearth and The Chimes in particular)

For 'The Double', 'The Crocodile', 'Bobok', 'A Nasty Anecdote': Gogol, in particular 'The Nose'; also Sigiszmund Krzhizhanovsky's stories, like the one with the runaway fingers

For 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man': Tolstoy's religious works
>>
File: volodya.jpg (8 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
volodya.jpg
8 KB, 246x205
>>7419871
Did you read them all at least twice to make sure you didn't fall far the sensationalism?
>>
>>7420441
*for
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.