[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone finished this? I had to make the decision for my mental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1402870.jpg (39 KB, 257x380) Image search: [Google]
1402870.jpg
39 KB, 257x380
Has anyone finished this? I had to make the decision for my mental health and future eyesight to put this down about a quarter of the way through. I really enjoy the prose, but how can I overcome a feeling of inferiority that this massive novel instills on people? Is it even worth reading?
>>
>>7419778
How the fuck did you get your hands on a copy?
>>
>>7419778
Hey fuckstick, don't make a thread and don't answer. Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>7419779
Not him, but I got lucky and scored a library copy off of Amazon for 13 dollars.
>>
>>7419778
I'd read it if I could find a copy for less than $200.
>>
>>7419779
>>7419787
>>7419831
interlibrary loan from university
>>
>>7419844
>>7419804
Would either of you be able to post excerpts to show what the prose is like? I'm very curious about this book.
>>
>>7419865
There's an epub floating around, I don't know how accurate it is but here's the second paragraph:

>Pain all in her back worked free of her at the end, dropping away into a void below, and it could almost not be recalled. This pain had been new and undreamt of. As new as the height of the young obstetrician whom she had never seen until she arrived at the hospital, he stood in surgical green against the ceiling above her head, then at her feet, at a distance down there between the stirrups tilting his head this way and that way between her thighs, and the green cap on his head was as far away as the bright, fairly unmetallic room she was giving birth to her child in, and the young obstetrician’s words were the talk that went almost and sharply along with the pain her husband Shay —she was thinking of him as Shay—also in surgical green, could not draw off into the ten-buck pocket watch he’d timed her with (where was it? in a pocket? mislaid? she didn’t care where it was). Her husband Shay’s chin hung close to her; I will always be here, his chin might have said, and his hand out of sight somewhere gripped hers, his hand might have been invisible for all she knew; but then he had to see for himself what was going on at the other end and he moved down to the foot of the delivery table and he peered over the doctor’s shoulder as if they were both in it together, and then Shay half looked up from that end against his better judgment she was sure and frowned at her but with love smiled the old smile. He needed a shave, his tan had grown seedy. The doctor stood up between her thighs and said they were getting there.

I don't know how accurate the epub is, I've been working my way through McElroy and am only up to Lookout Cartridge and am too lazy to check my copy of W&M.
>>
>>7419934
Fair enough. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>7419778
I've read it , made a thread about it months ago no one replied after me writing lots about it so can't be fucked typing out lots about it again
>>
just fucking read it idiot
the hardest it gets are sentences where you know 60% of what's going on and that's pretty good.
you just have to learn how to let some stuff just sink into you without fully and consciously knowing what's going on

just continue reading it however you like. i read it spread over 6 or 7 months, around and between a dozen other books, and it was probably the most rewarding reading experience of my life.

It's the only book i've read that i've finished and then wanted to re-read immediately.
>>
>>7419934
How do you read epubs on laptops?
>>
I read it, couldn't make much sense out of.
>>
>>7420160
Calibre, dozens of other programs
>>
>>7420160
Azardi.
>>
>>7419778
>>7419779
Why is this so hard to get a hold of? And why hasn't it been re-published?
>>
>>7419778

I read 100 pages (I'm the one who memed it here to see if you guys would actually catch onto a meme book) and returned it. It's not seeing a republishing because it really is garbage.
>>
>>7421022
But it is getting another printing?
>>
>>7421052
the publisher willing to print it (dzanc) said 2017 at the earliest
>>
>>7420114
did you like it senpai?
>>
>>7421022
>it really is garbage.

Yeah, it is. I had to put it down about 100-150 pages in because it looked exactly like McElroy just wrote whatever, never edited, nor read it over again, and sent the bundle onto the publisher.

Real disappointing, especially since it got touted so much here.
>>
>>7420114
at least link to your post in the archives
>>
>>7421052
McElroy has to proof and approve the manuscript and he's working on other stuff. he'll probably die before he finishes
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.