[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: electric kool aid.jpg (22 KB, 219x346) Image search: [Google]
electric kool aid.jpg
22 KB, 219x346
thoughts?
>>
bad
>>
File: 1447910481767.jpg (77 KB, 674x670) Image search: [Google]
1447910481767.jpg
77 KB, 674x670
>>7419306
>>
>>7419303
It's sitting in my bookshelf
Is it any good?
>>
>>7419303
I read it in high school, made me want to do more acid. Which I then did, but I always kept the ending in mind - that there isn't any answers that come from acid itself, and there wasn't any magical transformation. Still, it was cool for awhile, and Wolfe writes it well.

It's been a long while, more than 10 years, since I've read it, but I liked it back then.
>>
>>7419317
its shite my man
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
you're either on the bus or not on the bus, my man.
>>
I'm thinking of reading this too OP. I heard it gives you a great picture of what the 1960's counterculture was like. Other people have said it's extremely boring. I'm still going to give it a chance though, Tom Wolfe is a pretty great writer
>>
breaker breaker we're lookin at a 3145 that's a bad book over
>>
File: storming heaven.jpg (22 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
storming heaven.jpg
22 KB, 226x346
imo pic related is a better book about 60s acid shit.

i've tried reading acid test a few times but it just doesn't grab me and i've never gotten past the first like 50 pages
>>
>>7419432
Well the title certainly got my attention
>>
>>7419303
>>7419303
Not amazingly well-written, but the subject matter is interesting and matters quite a lot to the social changes of the 60s and the drug culture from the first synthesis of LSD onwards. Sometimes it feels like Wolfe is trying too hard to make LSD scary, but the truth is that LSD is fucking intense and deserves way more respect than the Pranksters gave it. It's a story about hubris, delusion, outsider-culture and California's history that I would recommend despite Wolfe's sometimes stupid stylistic choices.

>>7419435
Google says there are at least three books with that title. Unfortunate.
>>
I LOVE
I read it in early high school, found it in my best friend's mom's basement. It was a great segue into more experimental literature, and a more objective profile of Kesey, Garcia and their followers. Dream-like but not obnoxious or pretentious like other works of the beat generation. I will never forget the scene where the hippie girl is getting fucked by ten hippie guys in the tent and has cum all over her stomach
>>
>>7419303
I'm currently reading this! About 3/4ths of the way through. I've never read anything by Wolfe or Kesey before

As a piece of lit canon, it's a pretty wicked mythologization of Ken Kesey, Neal Cassady, and others in The Movie. Wolfe's writing is a wild messy natural extreme of his influences, resulting in a barrage of metaphors that are sometimes worth skimming, but also likely provide more individual "shining moments" to each reader.

As a chronicling of the counterculture in historical context, it's really rather great. The Beatles, Hell's Angels, Vietnam War Committees, all show up amid endless police.
It's indulgent, but I think it's fair to say it's indulgent about every last detail, which is ultimately pretty fulfilling.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.