[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people take pictures of themselves reading and share it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Why do people take pictures of themselves reading and share it on social media? I don't think it's ever once occurred to me to stop reading my book to pull out my phone and take a selfie.
>>
>>7419041

you have stupid friends.
>>
>>7419041
I've only ever seen girls do this and it seems harmless. Enthusiastic about some new book, proud they read. not worth getting worked up over
>>
Gr8 to know m8, really interesting, sincerest thanks for sharing
>>
That's almost something I would do. I've intentionally placed books subtly in the background of pictures before. I wouldn't say it's a vanity thing, part of me hopes some acquaintance would see it and they'd think "oh cool, I didn't think he'd be the type of person to read books like that" and then talk to me about it and I'd have a new friend with real, deep interests in common, because I don't interact with people much and it would fantastic to have a buddy to talk about books
>>
>>7419067
I've always seen it as a "look at how smart I am I'm reading!" type thing. like it's coming from a place of wanting other people to think you're smart/well read, rather than from a place of genuine excitement for reading a new book.
>>
>>7419041
How did he take a picture of himself if he's holding a book with one hand and drinking with the other?
>>
Honestly, I think about this often. Reading is a dignified activity, so what better way to present yourself than with literature?

Obviously, if you're taking the photo yourself, it's just incredibly conceited. But a candid photo of you absorbed in whatever it is you're reading? Definitely looks cool. There's literally only a single example of this on my facebook, but the kid's in second year EE and is a cool dude all-round.
>>
File: pessoa.jpg (33 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
pessoa.jpg
33 KB, 475x356
>Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life.
>>
>>7419041
Why do people share anything on social media?

A: Because they're attention whores
>>
>>7419041
social media is really gross and it makes me feel bad that i try to participate

i am letting digital high fives give me affirmation

and don't say you or anyone else posts on social media if they're not fishing for feel goods, because if they were emotionally satiated, they wouldn't bother with any of those services
>>
It's mostly girls, trying to not look like vapid cunts thinking reading will make them interesting, and faggots trying to look smart for the womyn by doing something so basic that anybody can do.
>>
>>7419073

I can sympathise with this post. It's obvious that pictures with books are seeking attention but looking for attention isn't always necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>7419041
Why are you looking at social media posts?
>>
>>7419041
It should be obvious, friend: reading, watching movies--really all forms of art or media and their intake--are fashion statements: they are done by most for nothing more than the appearance of intelligence. However--and most people don't get this--it is not exclusively a modern phenomenon. People have faked and lied, donned masks--often unconvincing ones--for the whole of recorded history, and this okay, I guess. After all, society cannot function without inauthenticity--no one wants to see what other people are actually like.
>>
>>7419076
It depends of the context.

>>7419081
He's holding a selfie stick with his foot.
>>
>social media

do you even know what year it is? jesus christ
>>
>>7419076
projection?
>>
>>7419041
It's self-branding. Creating yourself a social image. You read certain type of books, go to certain type of restaurants, all that yadda yadda. It makes you appear more open and interesting. Good asset to really have if you can talk about books in public with analytic and still entertaining approach. Selfie with YA is nonsense of course.
>>
File: 1439283457343.png (168 KB, 414x433) Image search: [Google]
1439283457343.png
168 KB, 414x433
>>7419411
>After all, society cannot function without inauthenticity--no one wants to see what other people are actually like.
>>
why does anyone do anything am i right? XD
like what's it all mean? o_O
>>
>>7419076
So harmless?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.