[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /sci/ think of this book? I just finished reading it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: the-martian-movie-poster.jpg (76 KB, 640x973) Image search: [Google]
the-martian-movie-poster.jpg
76 KB, 640x973
What did /sci/ think of this book? I just finished reading it today.

I thought it was really nice of the author to make the characters robots, so that you can focus on the science stuff instead.
>>
>>7418659
This is /lit/, friend. :)
>>
/sci/ is probably full of autist redditors so I bet they'd love it
>>
>>7418662
I believe that's OP's way of insulting the book...
>>
>anon from /lit/ decides to post a bait thread on /sci/ about an austist sci-fi book
>posts on /lit/ instead

you dun goofed, my man
>>
>>7418659
Lmao
>>
>>7418659
I kept reading it, couldn't put it down, so A+.
>>
>>>/sci/7698121
>>
File: 193zni6y58kbnpng.png (39 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
193zni6y58kbnpng.png
39 KB, 650x500
>>7418659
Over 300 pages the main character has about as much of a mental break down as someone trapped on an elevator for two hours would. Is he meant to be written as a sociopath?

This book was trash.

Zero character development an immature humor abound.

No wonder STEM autists flock to it, he's as autistic as they are.
>>
>muh mental breakdown

I don't get this meme. Would 300 pages about a faggot crying by himself be that much better?
>>
Im a physics major at a very stem-centered school. Ive never read the book but when i wandered through target today looking for a white elephant gift for a physics student christmas celebration i saw it and knew any of the students in school with me would love it so i got it for them.

From what ive heard, it really does hit on all the points that an autistic stem major wants in a book, but i havent read it so i cant confirm there isnt still some substance under the "science as a verb LOL" shit.
>>
>>7419583
He's meant to be written as an astronaut. Also, his perspective is entirely given through voluntary logs. Would you willingly post your own mental breakdown to every news agency in the world? Or if it wasn't broadcast, would you even post it to your office?
>>
>>7419780
>defending The Martian
Hellloooo reddit!
>>
>>7419785
Seriously... You can't lose an argument like an adult can you?
>>
>>7419785
>the book explicitly mentions that Watney cleared out a lot of his old logs before thinking he was going to be rescued

>hurr durr only redditors read books and defend them with logic

Christ you're insufferable
>>
>>7419741
That was probably a safe bet. The writing is poor and the humor is BBT tier, but I liked that they did have actual science in the book.

This mechanical engineer gives it a solid 4/5.
>>
>>7420769
Now with 25% more science in every bite!
>>
>>7418659
I started to read it, well, the excerpt on Amazon, but he did this thing, where the first person starts talking directly to the reader, which I dislike. The movie was fantastic tho. The dude was really likable. There were a lot of likable characters. I might read the book anyway.
>>
>>7418659
You know what? "Kilowatt-hour per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name. One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything... um... I suck at this... I'll call it a "pirate-ninja"

Damn guys!

So scientific!

This shit's on par with an episode of the Big Bang Theory
>>
>>7420769
>Mechanical engineer
I bet MechEs love this book.
>>
>>7421179
Mech Es also love rage comics and TBBT
>>
>>7421188
MechEs love the idea of being in STEM than their field itself tbqhwu. You can't even say that their motivation is money since mechanical engineering is hardly the most profitable field.
>>
>>7421195
Oh dude I hear mechs circle jerking all the time about how rich they're going to be and how girls will finally love them when they graduate.

When in reality you can earn even more in the US with a two year certification in plumbing, or HVAC, or becoming a network administrator.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.