[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I begin if I want to understand poetry? And please,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: eliot.jpg (1 MB, 1868x1264) Image search: [Google]
eliot.jpg
1 MB, 1868x1264
Where do I begin if I want to understand poetry?

And please, don't post any shit poetry. I want the best of the best.
>>
>>7418471
This is all you need: http://www.bartleby.com/146/
>>
Start with Aristotle's Poetics
>>
>>7418471
Is it just me, or does he look like a younger version of the crazy doctor from Fringe?
>>
>>7418614
I think he looks like T. S. Eliot, Anonymous.
>>
I recommend reading the book The Best Poems of the English Language, edited by Harold Bloom, OP. It has many of the best poems of the English language.
>>
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Flame_and_Shadow
>>
File: image.jpg (284 KB, 1429x2199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284 KB, 1429x2199
>>7418471
I always liked The sad indian.
>>
>>7418471
Yeats and Thomas are great poets who are really digestible. If the Second Coming doesn't get your dick hard then I don't know what ever could tbqh.
>>
>>7418471
Reading some translations of Sappho got me into reading poetry. Also try Catullus and Wang Wei.

For more modern stuff, Lawrence Durrell.
>>
>>7419410
Sappho is great, read her OP.
>>
ode on a grecian urn by keats
>>
>>7418471
>where do I begin if I want to understand poetry

Music. Now listen to music, music that inspires you, and get ready to write in a beat and rhythm.

That's it.
>>
>>7418471
If you're struggling with it, try reading something like "The Art of Poetry: How to Read a Poem." To properly understand poetry, you have to know about syntax, meter, tone, etc.
Also, try writing some of your own poetry. You'll quickly learn how difficult it is to write beautiful verse.
>>
>>7419403
dylan and edward thomas are good
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.