[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of these black classics worth a read? If so, which would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Are any of these black classics worth a read? If so, which would you recommend
>>
>>7418265
>black classics
Du Bois, Morrison, Hughes, Douglass, the list goes on...
>>
>>7418265
>The Nose

They're like 80p and like 80 pages long whats the problem
>>
>>7418312
ayy lmao
>>
LITTLE
>>
BLACK
>>
BOOKS
>>
>>7418265
That's one sexy shelf. When did Penguin do these?
>>
>>7418771
For for awhile in the UK

But they put this out in the US a week or two back
>>
>Anon
Are they gonna publish legacy too?
>>
>>7420309
Yeah in a nice hardcover
>>
>>7420342
Will there be a foreword? Annotations from scholars?
>>
>>7418265
I only saw that La Commedia is separated from the other 2/3 of itself
what the fuck
why would you read only one third of a book?
Do really anglos butcher Dantes work so much? And why?
>>
>>7420973
>>7418265
The 'Black Classics' are just cheap translations of short stories, and exerpts from larger works, sold to chumps who think they're getting a bargain.
>>
>>7421043
I really can't think of a sane reason to buy that
>>
>>7421057
It's useful to try the translations.

Not much point with the English-language ones though.
>>
sinbad the sailor is pretty good
>>
>>7420973
My guess is that these are marketed towards A) people who want short little reads that they can bring around town & finish in a couple of days and
B) people who want to broaden their taste in literature with a set of various classics.

Not really a bad thing. It all does smack of "read the canon without really reading it", but hey, it's penguin we're talking about here-- not surprising to see editions for suburbanite tastes. These nifty little black books probably look a bit more appetizing at Barnes & Noble than massive bricks of text. You have to put yourself in the shoes of somebody who's "trying to get more into reading".
>>
Akutagawa.
>>7421043
This though.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.