[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 6yu.jpg (913 KB, 1280x1600) Image search: [Google]
6yu.jpg
913 KB, 1280x1600
When it comes to Greek: received pronunciation? or restored pronunciation?
>>
>>7417665
>happy hour
>two hours long
>>
>>7417665
>not being fully incarnated in both pronunciations/spacetimes at the drop of a hat
>while at the same time not succumbing to diachronic fallacy
>>
Where did that ass go?
>>
Are we talking about Classical Greek?

If so, you should worry more about understand it in literary form first, before giving a shit about pronunciation.

t. Classics student
>>
>>7417706
As a linguist I'm always more excited to do the latter first
>>
>>7417715
Yes, but the problem with doing that is that Classical Greek is literally 2500 years old, so no one has a clue how it was pronounced.
>>
>>7417706
It's poetry, so pronunciation is kind of important

>>7417723
Are you seriously suggesting that the field of restoration of linguistic pronunciation, from Latin to Shakespeare, is just baseless guessing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU
>>
>>7417706

You're probably right ultimately, but attention to pronunciation (e.g., in connection with comparison with other languages) is insightful.
>>
>>7417728
Wouldn't say it's baseless guessing.

It's just that you cannot know to any meaningful level that how you are actually pronouncing would be the way that an authentic Athenian in that era would talk.
>>
>>7417665
Who is this /lit/ with tit?
>>
>>7417665
There is some basic difficulty in knowing who was right and who was guessing though. As a child I read The Odyssey I pronounced Zeus like I would pronounce Deus. After being corrected often enough I began to pronounce Deus like Deuce because I was told to say Zeus like that. Also, I've been told that the way I say Macedonia is also incorrect because the 'c' is hard like Makuh-donia. Also that Ares is said like Ai-reese locally (which I say is horseshit, but then I've never met a Greek named Ares, though the way this person said it sounded like a Jamaican translating Greek for me.).
>>
>>7418516
hmm, so basically you're a retard.
>>
>>7418542
Basically no, pronunciation is a fickle thing. When I was young and reading to myself those words came out how they looked to me. Eventually said some of those words out loud I was corrected. Saying "Zeus" like Zay-us or Zee-us makes more sense than Zews, this was because I had heard the phrase "Deus ex Machina" when I was pretty young (I liked PBS.) and that latin pronunciation was the one I had taken to be the case. Same with Macedonia NOT sounding like Macaroni. I can't take one person's word about "Ares" being pronounce different than Air-ees because that's seriously the only way I've heard it said all my life.

Nice try though.
>>
That is one seriously flat butt.
>>
>>7418679
retard
>>
File: 1430424660817.png (513 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1430424660817.png
513 KB, 800x600
>>7417758
Different Anon here.

>It's just that you cannot know to any meaningful level that how you are actually pronouncing would be the way that an authentic Athenian in that era would talk.
Except that is factually wrong. We have a pretty good idea of what Greek sounded like down to the tonic accent; this is more than we can say about most other dead languages, even some well studied ones like Latin.

Go check what we know about how Sumerian or Old Chinese or Egyptian were pronounced and you'll see the magnitude of difference there is in comparison to Ancient Greek. That it was written in an alphabet (the first one at that), already means the pronounciation will have some degree of accuracy, and if you take into account we're talking about a very well documented language, one that was taught as a prestige language across centuries, and is part of the Indo-European language family, which is THE most studied language family in the planet, you can't say what we can reconstruct of Ancient Greek pronounciation is meaningless.
>>
>>7417758
>mfw linguists have spent centuries chronicling the history and evolution of phonology and have derived an almost universally accepted academic pronunciation of ancient greek only to get refuted by a shitposting anon.

Golly, friend. When are you going to present that thesis of yours, i bet you could win an award with that theory
>>
>>7419171
Ughh, can't even escape babby's first troll in /lit/. Should just expect it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.