[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Classic Vikinng Sagas and Eddas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
So what's the consensus on the best translation of both Eddas? Any collections that contain all or most of the Viking sagas and folklore?
>>
I read the Penguin edition of the Poetic Edda. I can't say much since it's the only one I've read. You can find them all online and see for yourself which translation feels the best.

Or learn Icelandic.
>>
I haven't read any Eddas but I read the Saga of the Volsungs a while back which was very fun.
>>
>>7417435
The Völsunga Saga is pretty great.

I'd recommend checking out Laxdaela Saga too. It's a little boring compared to the Völsunga but still worth reading.
>>
>>7417443
I'm reading Acallam Mac Senorach (Tales of the Elders of Ireland) at the moment; I'd recommend it if you enjoy traditional pagan tales, but are also interested in the Christian/Pagan schism and harmony.
>>
The Saxon Stories, Bernard Cornwell
Just do it.
>>
>>7417352
Burnt Njal is one of the best books Ive read.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>7417491
muh nigga, Agallamh na Seanórach is based.

>tfw I read it in Irish.

I'll recommend Buile Suibhne too.
>>
What do you guys think of William Morris' Sigurd the Volsung, the Nibelungenlied, Tolkien's Sigurd and Gudrun and other such adaptations of the Volsungasaga story?
>>
Anyone rec anything other than the penguin Eddas?
>>
>>7421215
If you can find it, I recommend Ursula Dronke for the poetic edda. It's out of print, but I found the first volume at my school's library. The poetry is done really well and there is a ton of scholarly commentary for each poem. I've only compared it to the Hollander translation but I like it a lot more.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.