[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Tolstoy's Hadji Murad? Is it relevant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: pro_derbent_hadji_murad_2.jpg (28 KB, 399x500) Image search: [Google]
pro_derbent_hadji_murad_2.jpg
28 KB, 399x500
What does /lit/ think of Tolstoy's Hadji Murad?

Is it relevant to contemporary Islamic conflict?
>>
What do you mean by relevant?
>>
>>7417300
It's relevant to show that fighting has been going on for a long time and give historical context to the relationship Russia has with the Caucasus region. I don't really think Islam plays a huge role in it (which may be instructive in itself).

But you should still read it, because it's a phenomenal work as well as being short. Bloom strokes himself to it. If you are familiar with Tolstoy's longer works, it's like getting a piece of one of those without the commitment.
>>
>>7417300

It's very good. I liken it to Shogun for its perspective on the Other as in some ways more cultured than the Self (or at the very least as something to be respected and learned from).
>>
>>7417423
Tolstoy is reddit trash I've heard. OP read Dostoyevsky. Far more relevant to people's problems today.
>>
>>7417447
You've "heard" that Tolstoy is "reddit trash"? I hate reddit as much as the next person, but you're an idiot.

Also, reading Tolstoy is not mutually exclusive with reading Dostoevsky.

>>7417440
Disagree with the relation to Shogun (which I do like a lot), and think that Hadji Murad has to do more with the way a single man lived than a culture as a whole.
>>
>>7417447
>Tolstoy is reddit trash
/lit/-level bait
I do agree about the great relevance of Dostoyevsky to the individual and his place in the world, but don't slander us Dosto advocates with this nonsense.
>>
>>7417447
He's below Dosto but he's still good f.am
>>
>>7417465
I do think though that Tolstoy had a larger cultural perspective in view and was taking lessons from Murat's society and applying them in evaluating his own (e.g., greater piety among the Muslims vs. the immodest dress and behavior of Russian women).
>>
>>7417480
That's like, your opinion man.

Dosto a shit, a nonentity, a claptrap journalist
>>
>>7417484
>>7417484
That's fair, and he is definitely hating on the Czar too in the way that you describe, but I would not say that this is the main thematic thread as much as it is contextual backdrop. With Shogun, although there is a narrative story, the Otherness and Newness is what dominates much more so than in Haji, especially since the main pov in Shogun is essentially that of the outsider.
>>
>>7417586
And I think you make a good point too. My analogy only goes so far of course, and you point out its limitation. Nice to see some insight and discernment on this board; it happens just often enough to keep me coming back.
>>
>>7417484
>>7417586
It seems Tolstoy has a lot of respect for Murad though and likens him to that flower that doesn't give up.

And yeah, Tolstoy thinks its the "greatest story ever told."
>>
>>7418868
Oh absolutely Tolstoy respects Murad. And I think you meant "Bloom" with your second Tolstoy?
>>
>>7419068
Yes, I did.
>>
>>7417300
I really enjoyed Hadji Murad, but it does little for today, really.
>tfw final scene
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.