[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does every review praises this piece of shit? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: The_Hot_Zone_(cover).jpg (63 KB, 523x714) Image search: [Google]
The_Hot_Zone_(cover).jpg
63 KB, 523x714
Why does every review praises this piece of shit?

I'm incredibly into viral pathology, and I've read everything I could get my hands on, from medical journals to lab protocols, and fiction (my favorite is Whiteout) and this stands out as the shittiest.

>terrible writting, choppy and unstructured
>reads like a grocery list
>claims to be pure fact
>key information about the disease, the patients, it's history, and the labs is exaggerated or plain wrong

Anyone read this? I'm kinda raging/venting.

Recommend anything on the subject please, fiction, non ficition, books or otherwise. I'm into hemorragic fevers the most, but I do enjoy other diseases.
>>
>>7417019
I haven't read it. Do you have any journal/non-fiction recs?

I would read:
Janeway's Immunobiology
Murray's Medical Microbiology
Zaher's Pathology Made Ridiculously Simple
Robbins and Cotran
>>
>>7417028

Most of the journals circle around lab protocols. I just check sources on wikipedia articles and find very interesting links.
>>
>>7417048
Do you have names?

There's NEJM, Science, and Nature, of course. I like Journal of Experimental Medicine. Also AJCP.
>>
shit b8 m8 i r8 0/8
>>
>>7417050
I think I missused the term journal. I did not mean it as peer reviewed and such, but as verified accounts of situations involving the virus. I think the term would be papers or reports.

Honestly, I cant even remember the names. I'll see if I can find one where it described containment of a patient in mobile unit -an inflatable tent like thing that functions as a ICU ward.

>>7417058
I swear its not bait. No one with a proper appreciation for a good book can say that The Hot Zone is well written.

>They say that one day near Christmas he carried a sick bird into his house, where it died, perhaps in his hands. The bird may have been a weaverbird--no one knows--and it may have died of a Level 4 virus--no one knows.

> If the virus killed nine of ten people it infected and there was no vaccine or cure for it, you could see thepossibilities. The possibilities were global.

Page 38 >She had to get her assigned to work in a space suit in Level 4 areas. There aren't any vaccines for Level 4 hot agents. A Level 4 hot agent is a lethal virus for which there is no vaccine and no cure.
Page 38 >She couldn't proceed with any kind of work with Level 3 agents,because she couldn't tolerate the vaccinations
Page 41 > It was Level 4 work, which she was qualified to do, because she didn't need to be vaccinated
Page 136 > There was no vaccine for Ebola. There was no drug treatment for Ebola. That left only biocontainment
>>
>>7417091
Oh, like case studies? Yeah, those are fun to read.
>>
>>7417094
If this is the case, you might like Case Studies in Immunology. Most of it isn't viral but there are some viral cases.
>>
>>7417094
http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/204/suppl_3/S785.full
>>
>>7417119
Go to the CDC website. You'll find a lot of things that you'll love.
>>
File: uuuuh.jpg (63 KB, 517x400) Image search: [Google]
uuuuh.jpg
63 KB, 517x400
>>7417019
>be fifteen
>open book
>read first chapter
>girl eats her own lips and dies
>put book down
>I'm freaking out man
>freak out for a week
>freak out for years, everytime I glance at the cover

I don't really read med stuff, but I did read and enjoy House of God by Samuel Shem
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.