[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turkish Premier Compared to Gollum; Bizzare Legal Confrontation Ensues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: slack-imgs.jpg (23 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
slack-imgs.jpg
23 KB, 620x310
http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/12/02/erdogan-on-gollum-meme-we-hates-it-we-hates-it-forever/

A question that has previously only been aired among Tolkein fanboys has suddenly taken on great importance in a high-profile Turkish court case: was Gollum a "bad" character?

Please dear /lit/izens, provide your best arguments both for and against below. When we've finished, we can even send our conclusions to ol' Erdogan!
>>
File: Putin-and-Dobby-008.jpg (28 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Putin-and-Dobby-008.jpg
28 KB, 460x276
>>7416283
>Russian lawyers say Harry Potter character Dobby is based on Putin

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/weekinreview/putin-dobby-and-the-axis-of-weirdness.html
>>
>In October, Ciftci was fired from the Public Health Institution of Turkey for sharing photos on social media comparing Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Gollum. After Erdogan caught wind of the widely shared meme, his lawyers decided to sue the doctor for insulting the president, a crime that could earn him two years in prison in Turkey.

>But they came to an impasse when the judge working the case couldn’t determine if comparing someone to Gollum was actually an insult. Some readers believe that Gollum is more tragic than evil, particularly since others who hold the ring for shorter amounts of time — including the hero of the book, Frodo Baggins — are also obsessed by the ring and willing to go to extremes to keep it.

>“The prosecutor didn’t watch the movie and he defined Gollum as ‘the monster in a bad role,’” said Hicran Danisman, Ciftci’s lawyer. “But we said Gollum can’t be defined as evil. The character itself is a war between good and bad. He is basically seen as a victim of society.”
>>
Hyperreality is here to stay.
>>
>>7416289

I think it's pretty nice that people at that level are even willing to think about things seriously like that.
>>
File: 1449138283807.jpg (27 KB, 800x324) Image search: [Google]
1449138283807.jpg
27 KB, 800x324
Is this meme popular in the anglosphere?
>>
>>7416737
It was popular to compare George Bush to a chimpanzee, but do it with Obama and everyone suddenly gets bent outa shape
>>
>>7416737
i dont know either of these people
>>
>>7416770
Voldemort (evil Harry Potter man) looks like a soccer mom
>>
>>7416289
I'd just like to add, as someone who studies Egyptian news, Erdrogan is an awful man and has tacitly been helping IS/Daesh to wipe out the Kurds, who are actually, not too bad as far as displaced Middle Easter rebels go. Even NATO have been giving him shit for it in private, and Israel actually identified a few Turkish spec-ops soldiers by the bodies of a some Daesh insurgents in Egypt's Sinai Peninusla a few months ago (obviously no one made much of a scene about it).

Interesting stuff, the guy is a "moderate" Islamist and has been turning into more and more of a megalomaniac.
>>
>>7416770
The left one is the croatian president. The right one is Lucius Malfoy (from Harry Potter).
>>
>>7416862
Erdogan is a complete bastard. He's not even an Islamist. He seems himself as the reviver of Turkey and its significance in the region.
>>
>>7416844

That's not Voldo, that's Severian Snake.
>>
>>7416886
>Severian Snake

That's Metal Gear you doofus
>>
>>7416886
I had a dream last night where Yoshimitsu from Soul and Skull Knight from Berserk were fighting each other to the death.
>>
>>7416878
He's a populist, pure and simple. He fancies himself another Attturk and will cosy up to anyone if he helps him
>>
>>7416908
If there were two governments in the region I could wish effaced, it would be his and Saudi's.
>>
Fucking memes man.
>>
So if Erdogan is Gollum, is Daesh Sauron or something?
>>
>>7417450
Daesh are orcs. The West is Sauron.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.