[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
I've suddenly got the drive to research philosophy. I have little to no prior knowledge and therefore have no idea what I'm looking for when it comes to authors, or categories. I'm thinking I'd enjoy stuff on existentialism, things like that. I was wondering, could any of you recommend any good authors, books or categories? It'd be much appreciated.
>>
start with the greeks
>>
Bryan Maggee - The Story of Philosophy
>>
>>7414684
Read the Aztecs. If you start with the Greeks you'll feel like you haven't finished unless you read all western philosophy. Aztec philosophy actually has an end.
>>
Start with Harry Potter and move up to ASOIAF
>>
>>7414684

Anyshing by thies men!
>>
OP Here, is there any specific greek/aztec philosophers? I dont understand how to go around buying books etc, would I look for a certain author or just use internet based sources? I prefer reading from a book, my brain scrambles letters on screen for some reason, so online reading is a hassle.
>>
Read about the history of philosophy before going deep into anything. Know how one thing developed into another.
>>
File: 27 - Greeks 1.jpg (979 KB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
27 - Greeks 1.jpg
979 KB, 3672x3024
>>7414742
>>
>>7414742
Read Maggee's book, it will give you the who's who and who to read
>>
>>7414684
I think >>>/his/phil would be able to help you.

Afterall we are /lit/, not /phil/
>>
Start backwards and move forward, every philosopher ever was influenced by someone before them
>>
>>7414684
Follow the /lit/ sticky chronologically
There is also this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>7414697
Is it the Spanish?

Its probably the Spanish.
>>
>>7414742
If you don't want an in-depth (and costly) runthrough, read Crito, Apology and Euthyphro. Move onto Aristotle's Metaphysics and see if anything in particular grabs you. From there you can just follow your interests and read whichever schools of thought take your fancy
>>
>>7415285
Just started with the Greeks today, got around to finishing Euthyphro.

Fucking kek'd in the beginning before cross examination shit got real, Socrates is a baller.
>>
>>7415295
Make sure to follow a good set of footnotes. You don't want to miss out on the infamous Plato puns
>>
>>7415316
Honestly, when he was saying shit like "Something seen isn't seen, its seen because it is in a state of seeing" got me confused as fuck. And I had no clue what it had to do with what Piety was or how the argument went together.

So I'mma have to refresh this pleb mind and go over it a few times
>>
>>7414684
KIERKEGAARD
>>
>>7414971
This is great. The ME philosophy section is scarce so if someone is interested in that, I recommend muslimphilosophy.com
>>
>>7414971
>I am a Marxist and an atheist, my main interests in philosophy are Poststructuralism, Structuralism, Critical Theory, Lacanian psychoanalysis, Schelling, Schopenhauer and Philosophy of Music

Fucking dropped, Heil Hitler.
>>
>>7415350
dis
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.