[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All memes and jokes aside, is this viable? As a writer, would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
All memes and jokes aside, is this viable?
As a writer, would you be tempted to do this?
As a reader, whould this make you go Allahu Akbar on the writer's house?
>>
>Is this viable

They'd figure out they have different editions way before you told them.
>>
I've often though about his humourous it would be to release a video game, where in a few select copies of hundreds of thousands, creepy glitches happen, you can find Bigfoot, etc.

People would go on the Internet and no one would believe them. Like imagine if a few select copies of Sam Andreas actually did have Bigfoot and nobody believed the people who claimed they saw it?
>>
>>7414489
I don't think it would work b/c it would mean 90% of the book would have to be vague and ambiguous enough for all the different endings to work.
>>
>>7414489
Why would you want to do something trashy like that?
>>
>>7414489
This isn't creative. It's just the "release numbered pigs in the school as a prank" gag.
>>
>>7414528
if the game were actually popular, it'd create a situation like generation one of pokemon's missingno glitch did: once people realized it wasn't a lie, it became impossible to write offf all but the most ridiculous of rumors. the pathological liars and oneupsmen of the world would have a field day.
>>
The film 'Clue' did this. It's was fairly decent. It's not an original idea, and it's not nearly as clever an idea as people are making out to be.
>>
>>7414528
I think it would be pretty fun to release a video game and then have a random proportion of copies (say, one in every one game shipped) have a deadly nerve agent inside the box.

haha i think that would be pretty epic for the win bro haha video games :)
>>
>>7414489
>not knowing how a book ends before reading it
>not being aware also of major themes, the names of important characters, like 2 generally accepted interpretations, and the author's favorite TV show before even purchasing a novel
yeah OP this simply does not happen anymore, so any mystery will not be viable. the only mystery left is "what did he mean by this?"
>>
>>7414541

This. If a book can have ten diferent endings is probably an absolut shit not worth the read.
>>
Pretty shitty thing to do. Then you'd have to buy all ten books in order to get all possible stories. And what about digital copies?>>7414541
I think it could be done, the story would just be really really bad. The reason I think it could be done is fanfiction. Fanfiction has tons of alternate endings and even continues on after it ended.
>>
>>7414665
yeah but think of all the profits, all the fanboys buying all 10 different copies just so they could say they have all possible endings added to their collection.

>>7414541
>>7414584
not necessarily true. basically it all depends on how you write the book, whether you write it as a stand-alone novel or make it an open ending and agree to the fact that people will use that to create fanfiction. as a writer, you could perhaps have leftover ideas (like leftover ingredients when you're cooking) that maybe will not add up to create a whole stand-alone novel, but will create the basis for speculation. think of it like something along the lines of Tolkien's idea when he created the Middle Earth: he had no qualms or problems with other writers using the setup he had created for their own writing projects. what he wanted was to create a new mythological background for others to use and expand upon. and it has been used accordingly, just think of all the fantasy novels where elves and orcs are roaming the pages with a great sense of purpose and entitlement.

>inb4 fanfiction is the graveyard of literature
that's not the point we're making here
>>
Unless the book was really fucking good I think people would call it out on being a cash-grab.
Also they would just put the different endings out on the internet.
>>
seems a little try hard desu
>>
Only a shit writer would have the inclination to relinquish sincerity for novelty.
>>
>>7414489

I can just imagine the rage it'd create

>The way bob just went and committed suicide in the end felt really anti-climactic to me and had no build-up, shit book, anyone who likes this shit is an idiot
>What the fuck are you talking about, you fucking retard? Bob didn't commit suicide, he staged his death and moved to Cuba. Did you even finish the fucking book? Why are retards like you allowed to use the internet? asdafsagsgs
>>
>>7416662
And that, kids, is what we call entertainment.
>>
>>7415324
>>
You could find it in seconds using some sort of text scraper and comparing the different digital versions of the book.

Also "endings" are for plebs and normies. Fuck off.
>>
It's nothing but shitty speculative tumblr wankery.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.