[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the message?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: The_Giving_Tree.jpg (30 KB, 378x500) Image search: [Google]
The_Giving_Tree.jpg
30 KB, 378x500
What was the message?
>>
>>7413808
Reading this book to my kids, I realized that my greatest crime was to bring them into the world for my own vanity and desire to love, only to have my most treasured accomplishment decay and rot.

The anti-natalists on 4chan are faggots, but thats only because they cant handle themselves socially, not because they are wrong.
>>
>>7413808
*and suffer
>>
The meaning is silver.
>>
I think Shel Silverstein is great; he can appeal to kids and adults artistically and sentimentally without appearing overly- preachy. What's weird, because the buzzfeed ironists and macbook coffee hipsters absolutely eat this shit up.
>>
>>7413855
Accessible
>>
>>7413827
>The anti-natalists on 4chan are faggots, but thats only because they cant handle themselves socially, not because they are wrong.
This.
>>
>>7413808
Ayn Rand was right
>>
Post best Shel Silverstein songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvR7ZUjaJk
>>
File: RT.jpg (99 KB, 848x553) Image search: [Google]
RT.jpg
99 KB, 848x553
>>7413808
Superior version right here.
>>
>>7413934
This is how to combat bigotry. Not through twitter movements or contacting the boss, but through ostracizing the fuck.
>>
>>7413944
I don't think you've fully grasped the subtlety of the story... but sure I guess.
>>
>>7413950
I don't think you've fully grasped the subtlety of his comment
>>
>>7413933
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMuQTN7Xo4w
>>
>>7413967
I don't think you've fully grasped my father's penis.
>>
>>7413808

take advantage of those who love you, drain them of all resources and ultimately of their lives, sit on their graves when you're old and tired
>>
>>7413970
I don't think you've fully grasped my testicles
>>
>>7413827
I am an autistic anti-natalist and I take offence at your post.
>>
>>7414090
wah wah, is the baby sad cuz he didn't get his milk

too bad you dead xD
>>
>>7413827
I'd rather live and rot than never live at all. The issue is that you don't know if your children would want the same, although, if they were similar to me, I'd probably take a Pascal's wager of sort.
>>
File: 1386723238962.gif (949 KB, 499x477) Image search: [Google]
1386723238962.gif
949 KB, 499x477
An allegory for a parent's unrequited love to their kid.
>>
>>7414648
It's easy to get that impression, but parents in real life don't kill themselves the instant they turn into parasites.
>>
File: Benatar's relevant facts.235.png (60 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Benatar's relevant facts.235.png
60 KB, 1024x768
>>7414133
>Pascal's wager
*Benatar's wager
>>
>>7415155

That bottom right corner is a pretty fucking big implication, and a total departure from the logic of the other three boxes.
>>
>>7415470
>a being that doesn't exist can feel pleasure
>>
>>7413808
That generally speaking, children are ungrateful little fucks to their parents. Either that or the tree gets off on creating a snuff film.
>>
>>7413857
Idk man I think that's too easy of an explanation. I think it's because they want to be Shel. They want to be creative, they want to be genuine and sincere and so open and unafraid (or brave) that they're willing to just share their thoughts unironically.

Even if they're talented they're too emotionally flaccid to say anything of value and deep down they know that. So instead they don't try and then our pre-existing system rewards them for it.

Fucking shit I hate these people so much
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.