[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he can't name 10 books from the past 10 years that are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: powderlemon.jpg (70 KB, 500x614) Image search: [Google]
powderlemon.jpg
70 KB, 500x614
>he can't name 10 books from the past 10 years that are worthwhile reading

well senpai are you just going sit there or are you going to prove me wrong?
>>
Can you?
>>
>>7413356
I think OP was implying there is no worthwhile books written in the past 10 years
>>
There aren't 10 books worth reading pham
>>
>>7413406
Exactly, why read different books when you can just reread the best one.
>>
>>7413376
OP is implying that people on /lit/ only read classics and have no knowledge when it comes to contemporary literature, which is mostly true
>>
>>7413423
Why is there never a proper thread about literature prior to 1800, and why do I keep seeing endless discussions about DFW/Pynchon/Delilo/Houellebecq?
>>
>>7413356
no. I started this thread to learn about some good contemporary literature. I don't doubt that there are some good books written, its just there doesn't seem to be much discussion or agreement about them and kind of like what >>7413423 said.
>>
>>7413351
Mapcиaнин - A. вoдocлив
>>
>>7413351
If your definition of worthwhile includes "has any literary relevance", then no, there are none.
>>
>>7413351
>>7413506
Rate of production is too high for anything to have literary relevance this early after publication. Even big marketing can't do it, most of the time.
>>
>>7413423
/lit/ doesn't even have knowledge when it comes to the classics either or literature in general, so it's a moot point.
>>
>tfw you'll never go for a swim at the beach, take home a japanese qt, smash her, then get to work on your next great novel
>>
>>7413351
This is what I imagine /lit/ would say
The Pale King
Against the Day
Inherent Vice
Bleeding Edge
Point Omega
No Country for Old Men
The Road
My Struggle
White Teeth
>>
>>7413423
I'm trying to work my way up from the Greeks.

It'll take me another few years, but from what I've gleamed: I don't think I missing that much.
>>
>>7413635
/thread
>>
>tfw you read what you think is a contemporary novel only to later realize it was published in the 70s
>>
>>7413351

OP I just started A Little Life by Yanagihara. Strangely the first few pages were garbage in my opinion but it picks up almost immediately. I'm only like 60 pages in though.
>>
Try Tu rostro mañana by Javier Marías, Dernier royaume by Pascal Quignard and Seiobo There Below by László Krasznahorkai
>>
>>7413708

I also read The Sea by John Banville a while back, but frankly senpai I didn't enjoy it. He writes in a sort of decadent high modernist style that doesn't really appeal to me. The main character is also insufferable, which doesn't really speak to literary quality but is nevertheless frustrating.
>>
File: ice trilogy.jpg (26 KB, 313x500) Image search: [Google]
ice trilogy.jpg
26 KB, 313x500
the ice trilogy was p. cool
>>
File: whatever.gif (128 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
whatever.gif
128 KB, 500x500
>>7413603
oh please there are two to three passable books written per decade, and that is passable, not good, not great

if you are reading five + books a year from lists like this

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/books/review/100-notable-books-of-2015.html

then you are wasting your life
>>
>>7413603
>so it's a moot point
LITERALLY WHO?
>>
So much great non-fiction came out in the last ten years, I feel like we're in a great time for that

The Unwinding
The Tiger
Robert Oppenheimer: A Life Inside the Center
What It is Like to Go to War
Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall
The Price of Altruism
Thinking, Fast and Slow
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
A. Lincoln
Cultural Amnesia

Some great fiction of the last ten years:

The Book of Strange New Things
The Corpse Exhibition: And Other Stories of Iraq
Tenth of December
Bleeding Edge
The Map and the Territory (the only good Hollaback book)
Last Evenings on Earth (English translation is from 2006)
2666 (English translation is from 2008 I think)
>>
>>7413722
I think he means W. T. Snacks
>>
>He can't name 10 books from 1760-1770 that are worth reading
well senpai are you just going to sit there or are you going to prove me wrong?
>>
>>7413351
I just blasted through Marlon James work

A Brief History of Seven Killings
John Crows Devil
The Book of Night Women

Flash Boys was great

Political Power and Political Decay is good, its basically Fukuyama saying he fucked up.

Never Let Me Go

Matterhorn

Voices from Chernobyl

Im planning on reading all of Yanagihara next, her books look fantastic
>>
>>7413743
Is Endgame good or great. IE is it dry non-fiction or is it legit narrative history.
>>
>>7413635
>White Teeth
>ten years ago
>>
>>7413428
the only thing people are agreed on liking is early and mid 20th century lit. Which is because we are, on average, merely behind the times—not in-the-know enough to be modern, not broad-minded enough to be old-fashioned.
>>
File: 234523464.jpg (389 KB, 800x861) Image search: [Google]
234523464.jpg
389 KB, 800x861
>you will never be this cool standing next to Kung-fu chan
>>
>>7413779
Hmm it's not particularly "dry" non-fiction, for example, it rarely goes into the actual chess games. I'd say it works well as narrative non-fiction
>>
>>7413790
ive seen it listed alot lately and not always in a non fiction discussion
>>
>>7413456
Unfortunately the "Groupthink" here that contemp lit is all shit is very similar to the same phenomenon in /fit/ where cardio kills gains and /g/ where apple products are bad even for casuals.

I added all the big book review and lit journals to my rss feed, and keep an eye on yearly award winners and their criticism from both the right and left.

You cant find new favorite foods without seeking out and trying new things.
>>
>>7413768
The 1760's was a shit decade for literature, to be honest
>>
File: 482_simplicius[1].jpg (25 KB, 279x400) Image search: [Google]
482_simplicius[1].jpg
25 KB, 279x400
Can we have a discussion on lit from 1660-70?
>>
>>7413850
Milton, Dryden, Descartes, Hooke, Hobbes, Leibniz

Paradise Lost in 1667 was probably the most important work in this decade.
>>
>>7413860
>tfw when the only reason my dad owns Paradise Lost is because he bought some luxury edition CD with a Pink Floyd dude and he's never gonna read it
>>
>>7413774
I've heard so many mixed opinions about A Little Life. I own it, but if I hate it I wont be able to contain my power level if a normie starts gushing about it.
>>
>>7413867
Im starting with People In the Trees, the blurb looked much more up my alley.

Started my mother on A Little Life. She doesnt deal well with depressing literature, so its good for a laugh
>>
>>7413864
That just means you can have a free copy.
>>
>>7413917
>A free copy of a public domain book.
Wow.
>>
>>7413635
>when 3 of those were published more than 10 years ago
>>
Well at least I'm not 5'1
>>
>>7413718
>>7413423

I haven't used /lit/ too much before and posts like this have me worried. I know this isn't Oprah's Book Club online, but is this board really just full of elitist douchenozzles who refuse to discuss anything that wasn't written by some edgy philosopher?
>>
>>7414001
I cant imagine actually being worried about shit like this
>>
>>7414007

Gosh, you sure caught me out. That was definitely a completely serious post, Anon, and I'm certainly very worried about /lit/'s board culture in the face of all the other things I have to do today.
>>
File: 397[1].jpg (1 MB, 680x1671) Image search: [Google]
397[1].jpg
1 MB, 680x1671
>>7414008
>>
>>7414011

Autism /10
>>
>>7413423
so what?
>>
File: RedKnight_1920x1200.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
RedKnight_1920x1200.jpg
409 KB, 1920x1200
these are some book series that i've enjoyed written in the past 10 years.

1. The Red Knight (The traitor-son cycle)
2. Promise of Blood (The powder mage trilogy)
3. The last Stormlord (Watergivers)
4. The Ill made knight (Chivalry series)
5. The warded man (The Demon cycle)
6.The Prince of thorns (The Broken Empire)

There are others books and series i've read and enjoyed over the past decade and i doubt any of these will achieve classic status but I enjoyed them all if anyone was looking for a good series to pick up
>>
A Naked Singularity
The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Chronic City
The Pale King
The Harry Quebert Affair
HHhH
A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing
The Luminaries
Life and Death are Wearing Me Out

at a pinch
>>
>>7413708
I'm 300 pages in, and while I am going to finish it, it's a bit of a drag. In a bad way. It's calculatedly sad, rambling, too long. It gets tiring reading about dozens of born-affluent young New Yorkers and the one or two among them who came from poverty, abuse, etc. It reads like a female Bret Easton Ellis wrote it, had no editor, and tried to see how many silly names and homosexual couples and unrealistically successful young men she could cram into one over-lauded tome.

Also, the dialogue. People in real life don't say other people's names when speaking that often, but every other line in her conversations is, "Willem, what are you doing?" or "Hey, JB, come join me on the couch."

It's inoffensive, but a drag. I shall overcome.
>>
I will write one of those novels
>>
>>7413635

I know the rest is meme but 2666 counts as ten books imo
>>
I recently read "The Zero." Jess Walter I believe. if you care anything at all about the reaction of America as a whole after 9/11, this book addresses it all. I enjoyed it greatly
>>
>>7413351
>>
>>7415238
>she succ me
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.