[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I destroy everything I write. From deleting to burning I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151005_201319.jpg (80 KB, 951x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151005_201319.jpg
80 KB, 951x960
I destroy everything I write. From deleting to burning I have prematurely killed all of my stories for the last two years. At least a hundred documents have been annihilated by me. I love to write but when I read it over it just always seems like pure shit. I can't even tell I'd I'm actually getting any better because no matter what I do it just seems like total atrocious god awful shit later.

>tfw never going to finish anything and be satisfied with it
>>
>implying this isn't what writing is

welcome to hell family
>>
>>7412593
People talk about having finished manuscripts here. I wish I could like my stuff enough to at least get to that point. The most depressing part is that I love my plots and ideas but hate what they turn into when I try to put them down. I have so much bullshit going on in my head that NEEDS to come out but I don't have the tools. Its really like having no mouth and needing to scream or needing to jerk off but having death grip syndrome. It makes me hate myself and question why I even have this ability to think up things which interest people (when I tell friends about anything I've tried to write they always seem really enticed by it. I know they might just be doing it to be nice but that's not the feeling I get there always like "how the fuck can you come up with all of that shit?")

I know its trivial but it really depresses me
>>
>>7412625
I can relate. You either hone your craft to the point you can do your ideas justice or you give up. Nothing else to it man. That's life, what're you gonna do? You weren't born with the talent for white hot prose, neither was I, neither was 99% of this yahoo board. Write the best shit you can, that's all you can do
>>
>>7412578
As the first reply indicated, this isn't exactly unheard of. I've never kept anything I've written longer than a few weeks after it was substantially complete, and I could count on one hand the number of things I've written and shared with anyone. It is a horrible feeling, I know, but just keep writing. Obviously there is something that compels you to keep doing it, there is something you get out of it. Try to focus on that.
>>
You got so far.

But in the end, it doesn't even matter.
>>
>>7412578

I have the opposite problem.

I joined a local writer's group for 6 months. I went every week for 6 months. This group got about 30 people to attend every week, so not bad for a writer's group.

All of their writing was shit. Absolute shit. I mean shittier than reddit.

Over the course of the 6 months I offered 3 of my short stories for critique. Some praised my work and offered no critiques. Others offered mild critiques. Some offered really strange critiques - like, "did you even read it?" level critiques.

But this one lady. I'll never forget her. She shat on everything I presented. I mean shat on it. Destroyed it. Hated everything. Everything. I mean fucking hated it.

The last week I went, she presented her first work while I had been going. Anon, if I had the words to tell you how absolute garbage this fucking short story was, you'd never believe me. It was hands down the worst thing I've ever read. And this bitch had the audacity to trash everything I'd shown her?

That was the last week I went.

She was probably my soul mate, but whatever.
>>
>>7412578
It's a good thing that you're not the one buying the books you write then.
>>
And nothing of value was lost.
>>
Do yourself and every single other person on earth a favor and stop writing
>>
>>7414818
If you destroy your work, aren't you doing everyone a favor anyway?
>>
>>7412578
Good. It's better you feel this way than assume you're some kind of genius of your craft. Keep doing what you're doing only minus the whole burning thing.
>>
>>7412779
everyone was too afraid to tell u ur stories were absolute shit l m a o
>>
>>7412578
Do you read books on writing? Do you have anyone that can critique your work?
>>
>>7412578
Pleb. I read all my worst stuff regularly to remind myself how worthless I am.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.