[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>your age >your job >your /lit/ related ambitions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 10
File: russianjumper.jpg (289 KB, 800x656) Image search: [Google]
russianjumper.jpg
289 KB, 800x656
>your age
>your job
>your /lit/ related ambitions
>>
>25
>no job (anymore)
>currently living out of my savings account and living in countries where I can't get a visa
I like to read literature but I hate writing. Is that /lit/?
>>
>>7412572
>22
>STUDENT
>create a visual novel
>>
>>7412572
>your age
>your job
Medical student
Write my two novel ideas, try to read all the books on my backlog, become more adept at Arabic so I can read more advanced works, learn Farsi to read Persian lit
>>
>>7412572

>24
>i move cabinets for a small christian company
>afraid of failure, afraid to start

i like to read. im in love with the quiet starbucks girl but shes a jehovas witness so any chance i may have had is transcendentally condemned to friendzone.

tight.
>>
>>7412572
>your age
>your job
Student
Make a living as a full-time writer.
>>
>>7412572
fry cook
reading the canon
learning french
>>
>>7412572
Janitor
1. Visit Jinbōchō
2. Finish Das Kapital
3. Finish the Lord of the Rings trilogy
4. Read The Last Book in the Universe again (last read it in 6th grade)
5. Learn Russian and French, read originals that I've already read in English (Les Miserables, The Brothers Karamazov, etc.)
6. Read more "taboo" subject books
>>
>>7412572
>20
>student
>do something real
>>
Christ, children constantly shitposting on this shit website
>>
>>7412599
>>7413034
underage
>>
Flight attendant/Stewardess
I used to have a lot of ambition to write when I was still in school, but now I'm happy when I have the time and peace of mind to read a book or two every week.
>>
>>7412572
>26 years old
>programmer
>i want to get a novel published before i die
>>
File: Jesus Christ Chelsea.jpg (30 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
Jesus Christ Chelsea.jpg
30 KB, 600x342
>>7413444
trips confirm
>>
>>7412572
struggling freelance filmmaker
want to write the most /lit/ screenplay
>>
>>7412572
unemployed
would like to lose my virginity, for strictly /lit/related 'research' purposes
>>
student
finish writing something decent
>>
"Student"
To read and understand Hegel
>>
Package Mover/Student in Engineering
Publish something that might
a: Get me seen by high-level companies in my field
b: Be read in schools/classes someday.

It's an ambition, right?
>>
Student
I want to be a literature professor.
>>
>23
>Film Critic
>I want to publish a collection of short stories.
>>
>>7412572
Math student at unì
Pump out a novel or two
>>
Student
To read books and live an aesthetic life
>>
>>7412588
how are you in med school at such a young age?
>>
>22
>rich
>get a published in a magazine
>>
Student
Have a novel published
>>
Gas station attendant.
Have my space opera published so I can stop pumping gas and write more books.
>>
>>7413596
Finished high school early.
>>
>>7413555
Explain this to me. How do you make money as a critic?
>>
>>7413641
A few different ways. They're basically split into being a sole trader or being an employee, though.
If you're a sole trader, you either write x reviews each week and invoice the publication. They'll buy whatever the fuck they feel like.

If you are employed by a publication for a certain salary, they assign you x reviews every week and you write them.

I've done both in the past, at the moment I am employed by a publication. I review between three and ten films a week, depending on how much is released that week. Each review is between 500 and 1000 words and I make AUD$63k/year, which is about USD$46k.
>>
>>7413649
What the fuck. How did you get this job?
>>
>>7413654
Did it for free for a local paper all through university and then used those reviews as a portfolio for paid work. It took over a year of emailing newspapers and magazines before I was hired.
>>
>>7413658
Good job m8. Do you hope to direct someday?
>>
>>7413659
No, I studied writing and want to be an author, it was just more realistic to get a job writing reviews.
I'm working on those short stories I mentioned here >>7413555. I'm trying to be a realist though. I guess if my current job winds up leading to a career instead then I won't complain. I enjoy it.
>>
>>7413664
If you're 23, have a great career background, and live in the cultural wasteland that is Australia I'd say it's likely you're going to make it brah. What kind of stories are you writing, thematically speaking? Who are your influences?
>>
>>7413696
Science-fiction, often to do with time-travel, and usually tragedies.
>>
>>7413698
Well good luck. Ever see the tv series called Jeapordy? Bunch of British kids go on a school trip to the outback and then it turns into X Files. It was the highlight of my youth.
>>
>>7413704
Thanks. Never heard of the show but will look into it.
>>
>>7413712
Do you incorporate dreamtime into your stories?
>>
>>7413712

That shit was on ABC at like 5:30 on weeknights I think, kind of like blair witch project, found footage type thing. btw I'm a fellow ausfag working on a short story collection. good luck bro
>>
>>7412572
>33
>Structural Engineer
>I want to write a short story about loosing my virginity (and taking hers, in the process), describing all our under-aged relationship, the discovery of our bodies, touches, dialogues until the consummation of our act, describing precisely how it felt to take her virginity. I'm afraid it might be boring.
>>
>>7412588
Do EM nigga, happiest people ive ever met.

Unless you are british that is.
>>
>>7412572
stay at home dad
trying to make my kids /lit/
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>7413775
>19 years old
>thinks he has all the answers

Enjoy the vicissitudes of fortune.
>>
>>7413784
>falling for stale copypasta

>>7413775
>posting stale copypasta
>>
File: 6547333245.gif (2 MB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
6547333245.gif
2 MB, 300x222
You guys are like /soc/, stop it with this bullshit. No one fucking cares about you and no one will ever fucking care about you.
>>
>>7413794
This gif is too cute.
>>
>>7412572

student

Personally my only /lit/ related ambitions relate to my dad which I'll detail for anyone who cares. My parents had me when they were 40/38, the three of us bonded over historical fiction, mystery and fantasy novels. My dad is retiring this year (Navy officer for the first 10 years of his career before working for the ministry of defense) and he wants to co-write a book with me. He says that it's something he has always wanted to do and when he was on ship he always played around with science fiction ideas (his degree is in engineering physics so he's always been a stickler for real science in sci-fy). To cut to the point he doesn't care if it is published but he wants something I can read to my kids and my grand kids since he doesn't think he will be around long enough to play a large part in their life and he wants to share something we both loved with the people that I will love
>>
>>7412572

>24
>student
>Write something that challenges all definitions, like Cervantes invented the novel with Don Quixote, I will do the same for the 21st century
>>
Student
To be a meme philosopher, and a philosopher of memes.
>>
>>7412572
No job
Write something, but I've never written anything.
>>
>>7412572
>23
>Investigative Auditor
>Publish a semi autobiographical novel
>>
>>7413569
>aesthetic life
>what did he mean by this?
>>
>>7412572
>21
>student
>just want to know what the fuck is going on and able to determine the quality of literature.
>>
Cashier
I want a qt /lit/ gf
>>
>>7413615
Everybody knows your ambitions, gaskun
>>
>>7413775

>as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

This is so terrible. Favourite part of the pasta, gets me every time.
>>
>>7416429
/lit/ grill here. why would i date a cashier lol ?
>>
>>7412572
>23
>Guitar Teacher/ MFA student
>be a "writer" and possibly teach creative writing
>>
>>7415031
I read this Anon and Ithink it is neat, God bless you and your parents.
>>
File: 1449124815681.jpg (29 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
1449124815681.jpg
29 KB, 300x199
>26
>engineer
>read the classics while living a hammock lifestyle
>>
>20
>garbage boy at a boutique hotel
>to publish a novel, retire cheap, and smoke a lot of reefer.
>>
>>7416602
The comfy life bro.
>>
>>7416602

>>read the classics while living a hammock lifestyle

you cracked the code. stay winning.
>>
>>7416614
>>7416625
Samefag.
>>
>18
> pizza delivery guy
> writer/director
I know it's not very /lit/ to like movies, but it's my passion area. I'd like to write novels, too, in my life.
>>
>>7416636
You'll never be a director and a novelist. I promise you. I seriously encourage you to pick the one you know you want to do and throw all your energy at it. You won't know shit until you're 23, so until then absorb as much as you can by reading and watching as much as you can. And learn to suffer. Learn to experience an extreme range of emotions without allowing them to overwhelm you.
>>
I'm thinking work on movie and mixtape concurrently then put mixtape online, send movie to student film festivals and one or two big time festivals, work on tv pilot with kids from Dallas, get the poetry sent out thru [small publisher I'm talking to], then work on recording of actual album while doing an ebook for [small publisher] of eight 10-page chapters of me writing in a different state of mind (eating pot, smoking pot, sober, drunk, drunk and high, and I'll fake some harder drugs cause those are scary), hopefully get my poetry collection published through [small publisher I talk to sometimes] by the end of 2016, make some music videos with those kids over the summer, hopefully finish a full album by end of summer 2016, and then maybe by 2019 I'll get a novel released through someone major.
>>
>>7416641
Don't listen to this guy. Though these are minor successes for sure, I'm working on a novel and have had a short story published in a decent (top 25 or so) magazine and I've had a short film appear at SXSW. I'm neither a novelist nor a major director (yet), but the idea that they're not fundamentally similar is simply wrong.
>>
>>7416630

>samefagging a hammock post

..why?
>>
File: 1443290547060.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1443290547060.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>18

>NEET

I have no long term life goals or ambitions, literature related or otherwise, but I would like to read the canon in a misguided attempt to become well read and cultured so I may compensate for my lack of work ethic and career goals

Right now I'm reading Siddhartha to avert babbies first existential crisis
>>
>>7416647
Fuck off retard. You're naive. Name one director who was also a respected novelist. Nobody gives a fuck about your shitty short film or your shitty short story.
>>
>>7416670
Stephen Crane died at 28. Ridley Scott didn't direct a feature length film until age 40. So if your premise is that nobody has enough time in their life to get good at two things you're being silly.
>>
>>7416694
The point anon made was not about time, but about focus.
>>
>>7412572

>20
>Student
>Write an Ode to Schopenhauer and kill myself because I don't value my life and I've never felt more liberated.

Newsflash, he was right about everything.
>>
>>7412572
>25
>uni student (third time attempting now)
>show everybody how boring and smart i am, jkbutnotreally, just want to not work 6-9 for 50 years want to have more than half free time and still afford internet and good food, das all
>>
>>7416694
Still waiting for a name.

I'll help you out.

Rui Murakami wrote a Almost Transparent Blue and directed the movie version, which flopped.

Bernard Henri-Levi is a writer and also tried his hand at directing. His movie, Day and Night, is often referred to as the worst movie of the 20th century.
>>
>>7416718
I can't really think of any. I know plenty of musician/writers, plenty of musician/actors, loads of comedian/actors, several musician/fashion designers. For whatever reason novelist/director hasn't been done a ton, but I don't see why not. The arts are fundamentally interdisciplinary.
>>
>>7416718
James Franco is rather close, no?
>>
>>7416728
That's not what the point was. You told the guy to ignore my post, yet you fail to justify your dismissal. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>7416733
Most directors of note came up in a very different film climate. One of the best movies at Sundance was shot with an iPhone and a 100 dollar camera stabilizer. It's different.
>>
>>7416670
>>7416694
>>7416718
>>7416733
>>7416739
Whedon is a comic-book writer, though not a novelist.

That being said, I am a novelist (though not a very successful one - I can't support myself on my writing yet) and I wouldn't know where to even begin directing a film. You could argue that they are similar in that they are both creative pursuits, but I would argue the similarities end there..
>>
>>7412572
> 22 years old
> no job
> I never read. I haven't started to read in my mother tongue yet, I wanted to learn Latin and Greek first. I am Italian and I dislike most of the English mentality and how it influenced brutally its literature. It sounds like a children naturally decadent, verbose and without style, spouting atypical words because they sounds funny.

I never studied English and I will hardly read any English literature. Only English translations of northern tales are fairly pleasant.

I first want to "finish" studying German and Japanese, being able to fluently read.
I study languages.
Being able to read and comprehend styles is all I care about.
Expression skills are for the plebs.

I hardly read a translation. I only read a translation of Genji Monogatari, only because Italian translators are all grown up with heavy classical background and the Italian is already beautiful by itself.

I recall to have read only few books, Utopia when I was a kid; Q by Luther Blissett; Genji Monogatari; I promessi sposi; La Commedia.

I'm much more into cinema and I want to learn how to write good movies scripts in Japanese.

This is my first time on /lit/, it's filled up with shit.
>>
>>7416748
What a reddit-tier post.
>>
>>7416757
the face of anime

Could you be any more of a weeb?
>>
>>7416757
Still me.
I'm glad my English is so basic I don't even notice when mistake pluralization and that I sound autistic.
>>
>>7416760
Why? Because I gave an example for one side or because I agreed with the other?
>>
>>7416763
Because you cited Joss Whedon and tried to resolve an interesting conflict by trying to coddle all those involved in it with a sort of lame, sentimental resolution that everybody is right. You are the Last Man Nietzsche was referring to.
>>
>>7412572
>24
>i sell tropical and marine fish
>write a collection of short stories to which i already have a title and in the meantime upload to amazon / whatever online indie sales platform a collection of flash fiction i am writing to exercise small ideas for next to nothing
>>
>>7416761
>>7416761

I appreciate idiotic chinese cartoons.
I must have seen more than 50 series.
It as nothing to do with my liking for Japanese cinema, but passive learning helps a lot if you want to better appreciate the feel of studying a language.

My appreciation for Japanese language is not anime related, it wasn't caused by anime, my sense of aesthetics is not influenced by anime.

Some years ago I was appreciating directors like Toshio Matsumoto and Yûko Kusunoki, some even before anime.

My mother is heavily into reading and cinema and I was a typical brat playing videogames and overthinking any given possibility, it distracted me from books, but not from cinema.
I've been only on vidya few years ago, there was enough rage to keep high the quality of the threads.
>>
>>7416765

Hi. I live in a moderately sized apartment and I've always wanted to get fish. I don't have time to clean up after a dog and take it for walks, but I want an interesting life form I can just stare at for 20 minutes to alleviate my stress. What kind of tropical fish are low maintenance? Money isn't an issue I just want something nice that won't die fast.
>>
>>7416670
I think he meant an average novelist/director, it's not too hard to be both if you want to be average, besides if you're not intelligent you'd hardly be a good one.
Should I be an Italian novelist or a Japanese director? >>7416757
>>
>>7416778
Again, I'm waiting for some names to back up your claim.
>>
>>7416783
Pasolini. I'm not even trying.
>>
>>7416772
I'd look into tropical freshwater for something colourful and interesting. You want a school or a single fish? For the latter look into Betta; you can only keep one per tank but theyre rad and colourful as hell. If you want a community there's too much to explain on here.

I will say look into the water maturity / cycling phase as this is the most important and yet overlooked part of fish keeping.
>>
>>7416823

I think I'd like a school of fish but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>7416573
>implying you're qt
>>
Data entry
I like to read books, but I also do other things
>>
>>7416573
>choosing partner based on occupation
>ideology.png
>>
>>7416783
Jean Cocteau.
>>
File: Mussolini__2_.gif (2 MB, 297x229) Image search: [Google]
Mussolini__2_.gif
2 MB, 297x229
In the Navy. Working in an emergency room currently.
I have a few poems good enough to be published and im working on a novel thats bound to be dope because I am dope.
>>
>>7416946
Do you do cave paintings as well?
>>
>>7416883
haha i am tho

>>7416899
girls gotta have standards lol
>>
>>7416895
Where do you live?
>>
>>7416949
Yes
>>
>>7416952
you may be qt but youre definitely not /lit/
:^)
>>
student
become a journalist and write cool fucking articles like Hunter Thompson...or
>join the army next year
>become a sniper
>army sends me to syria
>snipe people
>write a best selling book
>some guy will make a movie about me
>profit
>>
>>7416975
umm my mfa is gonna have to disagree with you there hun
>>
>>7416998
if anything that makes you less /lit/, it's well known this is a board for pretentious undergrads
>>
>>7417000
yeah, nah, feel free to stop talking to me at any time fuccboi
>>
>>7416998
I'm sure you're not lying babe
>>
>>7417007
please don't confuse me with smiley face anon

noses in smileys are only added by huge fags
>>
>>7417012
>>
>>7412572
what the fuck is going on in that picture senpai?
>>
File: quick-whats-the-number-for-911.jpg (34 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
quick-whats-the-number-for-911.jpg
34 KB, 500x267
Hospital claim editor
Read a little bit every day
>>
>>7412572
>22
>Student
>Write the next Great American Novel
>>
>>7417021
It's a group of militias being forced to climb and then throw themselves to their deaths after being defeated by Tsarist forces.
>>
File: 1447172425492.jpg (93 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
1447172425492.jpg
93 KB, 610x458
>24
>oil and gas engineer
>make enough money to retire and spend my free time reading.
>wouldn't mind trying creative writing again. A bad experience when I was 17 with my english teacher made me stop.
>>
>>7412572
>20
>IT economics student
>Find courage to post somewhere the story I am working on
>>
>>7416660
not going to avert. only delay.
>>
>>7416998
>MFA

I have a sales job you might be interested in. Seriously though, what kind of self indulgent, ego inflated asshole would get an MFA
>>
translator
starting to write
>>
File: 1448005248677.jpg (495 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1448005248677.jpg
495 KB, 2048x1152
>>7412572
student
read 11 more books for April (I aim for 24 books a year April-April)
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.