[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will i enjoy LoTR if i really like ASOIF? Which one is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: LOTR14[1].png (506 KB, 570x301) Image search: [Google]
LOTR14[1].png
506 KB, 570x301
Will i enjoy LoTR if i really like ASOIF? Which one is better?
>>
Let's ignore the fact that LoTR came first, and is a major inspiration of almost EVERY fantasy series after it.

Do you know the shit JR Tolkien did to make Lord of the Rings? He made THE ELVISH FUCKING LANGUAGE

A NUANCED LANGUAGE

WITH FUCKING PARTIAL IMPERFECT TENSE

A GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT, COHERENT LANGUAGE

AND ON THE BASIS OF THAT LANGUAGE, AND SEVERAL OTHER FUCKING LANGUAGES, HE MADE THE HOBBIT

YES

HE WROTE THE LANGUAGE BEFORE THE FUCKING STORY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_constructed_by_J._R._R._Tolkien

BEFORE THE FUCKING PREQUEL STORY TO THE LORD OF THE RINGS, HE WROTE A LANGUAGE

HE WROTE A FUCKING GIGANTIC BACKSTORY, TOO

WITH GODS, AND DEMONS, AND ANGELS, AND SHIT THAT MAKES THE THEOGENY LOOK LIKE AMATEUR HOUR

AND ONLY THEN

ONLY AFTER CREATING SEVERAL FUCKING LANGUAGES

DID HE WRITE THE PREQUEL

YES

THE FUCKING PREQUEL

TO THE LORD OF THE RINGS

AND HERE YOU ARE

YOU FILTHY, FUCKING PLEBIAN

TRYING TO TELL ME THAT TENZIN INFO DUMPING A CORNY COMIC BOOK VILLAIN BACKSTORY

IS THE SAME CALIBER OF WRITING

AS THE MAN

WHO MADE

SEVERAL

FUCKING

LANGUAGES

KILL YOURSELF

SERIOUSLY

KILL YOUR FUCKING SELF

SOMEONE PUTS EFFORT INTO SOMETHING AND CREATES A MASTERPIECE, AND YOU SEE IT THE SAME AS THE SHIT A 9-5ER SPEWED OUT IN A WRITER'S ROOM
>>
>>7411934
tl;dr: tolkien was an autist about his made up bullshit therefore he is better

not very compelling
>>
>>7411906
no, because there's no sex in it
>>
>>7411934
Sorry but the amount of effort put into something doesn't necessarily make it good.

Its extremely admirable, I like LOTR and Tolkien but his having made a language is practically irrelevant

All that really matters is the EFFECT of his prose and the story.
>>
>>7411906
No

Truth is, LotR is a travel guide masquerading as a herbal descriptive manual moon-lighting as a info-dump for Tolkein world's part-timing as an actual story

The prose needs to be cut through with a sabre, did he have no editor? I was incredibly surprised how dull and overwritten it is considering its near biblical status. And ignore anyone who asserts that Tolkein could write a character worth a damn. They are all thinner in development than even the likes of Harry Potter's cast. Just watch the movies and be content with that
>>
>>7411934
I had a sensible chuckle. I posted in that thread pro Tolkien ofc.
>>
File: 1411323233460.gif (3 MB, 200x249) Image search: [Google]
1411323233460.gif
3 MB, 200x249
>>7411906
>>
>>7411934
Fucking thank you

The two aren't even comparable

GRRM is a dimestore novelist who got lucky
>>
LoTR has no sex or boobs.
>>
>>7411906
>Will i enjoy LoTR
No. You might enjoy the Conan stories though.
>Which one is better?
LoTR is better
>>
>>7411906
They're both shit compared to P. K. K. Rosenthal's Kingdoms of Toranda series.
>>
File: dfh.png (39 KB, 291x169) Image search: [Google]
dfh.png
39 KB, 291x169
>>7411906
>that RotK
>using Hobbit art for Lord of the Rings
>>
>>7411954
>>7412086
>>7413043
These newfags don't even recognize pasta
>>
>>7411934
I'm a fan of this pasta.
>>
Honestly, LoTR is the only genre fiction worth reading.
>>
>>7411934
>Tenzin
>>>/co/
>>
>>7413457
The hobbit also
>>
LotR is a monumental work of something adjacent to literature. He builds a perfect world and then tells the perfect story to tell within that world. It's riveting and compelling and it will make you think about the nature of detail in fiction and it's power in making the unreal real. It is a different thing than ASOIF, not as easy to read at the beginning. I loved both, though. Although I have many complaints about the latter. I love LotR unreservedly
>>
>>7413898
But both have a lot of similarities too.
>>
>>7413221
I want to read that series so bad
>>
>>7411906
You'd probably like it. Most everyone here will tell you that the LoTR is far superior (including myself). Read The Hobbit before LoTR, partly because it was written first and provides a lot of background and partly because in many ways it is the superior work

>>7413374
I noticed that too. At least it's Tolkein's own illustration.
>>
File: 001289_7.jpg (330 KB, 1500x1175) Image search: [Google]
001289_7.jpg
330 KB, 1500x1175
>>7411906
>Not posting "The Folio Society" edition...
>>
>>7414109
this
>>
>>7411934
Wonderful pasta.
>>
File: spaghetti-alla-bolonose[1].jpg (2 MB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti-alla-bolonose[1].jpg
2 MB, 1698x1131
>>7411934
>>
>>7414081
is this bait ?

if you are 9 years old, please do read the hobbit.
if not skip it. Lord of the rings is three times better.
>>
>>7412086
>All that really matters is the EFFECT

Damn utilitarians ruining everything.
>>
>>7415071
I think he's right, its like some works of art that relies too much in explaining the meaning behind it "look this lines of painting represent the current state of our society, and this red spot here represents capitalism" it doesn't really matter if the work is not capable on convey it by itself
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.