[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Insufferable protagonist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1422964222234.jpg (266 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1422964222234.jpg
266 KB, 1280x1707
Is there a book where the protagonist starts out as an unlikeable cynical/douchebag but turns into a more likeable person as the novel progresses?

I want my character to start out an edgelord but don't want people to put down the book.
>>
yes, in a song of ice and fire Jaime Lannister is written like this

your welcome
>>
>>7409877
Thanks lad
>>
>>7409879
np xx
>>
Whether or not a character is likeable is pretty subjective. Steppenwolf, arguably. The UK version of Clockwork Orange. Many of Sinclair Lewis's novels (Babbitt, Main Street, Arrowsmith), but like I said, subjective. Some people prefer Harry Haller at the beginning.
>>
>>7409876
Crime and punishment
>>
File: 1341267437045_8902704.png (41 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
1341267437045_8902704.png
41 KB, 420x294
No, OP, this has literally never happened.
>>
Is there a book where the protagonist starts out as an insufferable naive, optimistic dipshit but turns into a more likeable person as the novel progresses?
>>
>>7409877
Not even close. Jaime was always the best and most likeable character.
>>
>>7410605

Candide?
>>
I'm sure someone has said Holden Caulfield
>>
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ... it takes a whole trilogy though
>>
>>7410605
The red and the black
Just kidding,he does become kind of likable but turns back to a little shit in the end
>>
This happened for me with the protagonist of Lights out in Wonderland
>>
>>7410605
Pierre in war and peace, without a doubt.
>>
>>7409876
>Snape
>>
>>7409876
Genre-wise Jezal dan Luthar in the First Law trilogy is pretty much this.
>>
A Confederacy of dunces
>>
Child of God
>>
Purity by Franzen is like this
>>
>>7409882
how does Alex get any more likeable as the novel progresses?

If you're looking for like YA fiction, Sanderson's Mistborn protagonist is super edgelord awful but does get better. different points of view and otherwise good world building help get you through it.
>>
>>7412579
If I remember the book correctly, the last chapter shows an 18 year old Alex rethinking about his lifestyle yadda yadda and determined to be a good person from now on or some such bullshit.
>>
>>7409876
God does a complete 180 in the Bible. Now he was a true edgelord.
>>
why was Leon so fucking perfect in RE4?
>>
>>7409876
This probably won't satisfy you but I always liked what they did with the Spike character on buffy. Otherwise terrible writing for seven straight seasons except for how gradually they made this ruthless bad guy do a full 180.
>>
>>7409876
Blanking on any books that do this, but the UK version of Skins is really good at taking insufferable little cunts and making them likable.

At least the first 3 seasons or so did
>>
>>7410608
>Started as a sister fucking, treacherous, attempted child murderer.
>>
>>7413075
That's because he's a metaphor for the spirit of the people.
>>
>>7409876
Rabbit Angstrom in Rabbit Run gets more likable as the novel progresses. Well, maybe likable isn't the right word. He definitely becomes more sympathetic as the novel progresses.
>>
>>7413071
he rethinks his lifestyle and realizes that its boring him and he wants to settle down, but he isn't repentant, he's just growing up. still a pretty shitty guy desu
>>
>>7409876
Mein Kampf
>>
>>7413720
man, your comment really made me think differently about the concept of god.
thank you, honestly.
>>
>>7414853
Cheers.
>>
>>7410573
nigga did you really have to include that e card to explain why you are being sarcastic
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.