[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can one island so utterly DOMINATE the world of literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12
File: 37o428643245.jpg (532 KB, 1600x2200) Image search: [Google]
37o428643245.jpg
532 KB, 1600x2200
How can one island so utterly DOMINATE the world of literature?
>>
>>7409324

because starting with Chaucer, English has been a language of translation and assimilation and all the best parts of European languages and their traditions were slowly mashed together to make English tradition.
>>
>>7409324
Anglosphere just BTFOs everyone else.
>>
>>7409330

oh, that' ireland. oops

probably something salty in the potatoes.
>>
My opinion is that the reason for this is because there has been so much repression, violence and hardship in the countries past that has turned people to creating something of beauty i:e artwork, music and obviously literature. I think this situation would apply in Russia also.
>>
>DOMINATE xD
Let's not get carried away senpai
You've produced four or five writers whose works are worth preserving, the rest are worthless meme shit like oscar wilde and bram stoker
>>
>>7409324
Imperialism
>>
Because after England's big literary dick was fucking your vagina so long, you were bound to at least have a few good writers
>>
Irish writers who moved to Paris don't count
>>
File: a_dublin_famine_irish_monkey2.jpg (93 KB, 350x424) Image search: [Google]
a_dublin_famine_irish_monkey2.jpg
93 KB, 350x424
The true patron saint of this accursed island is not Patrick but rather the archetype of the waggish rogue, the ne’er-do-well. For his malefactions they love him, and his hopeless, impulsive bumblings invoke the most sincere endearment. Their filthy tavern songs proclaim him while their literature, if it can properly be called such, comprises his inverted and unholy hagiography. J.M. Synge struck at the very crux of the race’s inescapable melancholy with his play The Playboy of the Western World. In it, the titular playboy bursts into a tavern, boasting that he has murdered his father. In any civilized nation, this obnoxious parricide would naturally and immediately turned over to the authorities, but since we’re in Ireland, the townsfolk present immediately exalt, idolize, and even lust after him. Due to the unnatural thickness of Hibernian skulls, it is revealed that he failed at his task when his wounded father walks on stage. This “playboy” represents the Irishman par excellence: vain, lying, imbecilic and eternally bungling. When the play premiered at Dublin’s Abbey Theatre it actually inspired riots, for it merely held a mirror to its audience and presented them with a truth too terrible to sustain.
>>
File: caw caw.jpg (28 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
caw caw.jpg
28 KB, 480x320
>>7409324
Hey it's a parot
>>
>>7409438
parrot*
>>
>>7409440
Mate I'll make you a man if you don't watch it
>>
It's a combination of the rain, the beautiful scenery, an ancient bardic tradition and some sort of racial PTSD. the alcoholic Irishman isn't even a stereotype, these people are disturbed as a group, reminds of a more developed version of the Eastern bloc.
>>
>>7409345
Russia is a cultural shithole though now.

I suppose Ireland is now too. And they're both rampantly alcoholic.

Shit anon.

>>7409324
Good education, coupled with seriously shit luck = a culture which wants to express themselves as fluently as possible, mainly, probably, for catharsis.
>>
They just wanted it more.
>>
>>7409385
/thread
>>
>>7409450
Yes - but the Irish (even in Dublin) are still incredibly friendly and funny. It's almost like a cultural self-defence mechanism.

It's similar to Egypt now, the more they suffer, the more light-hearted their attitude to it is.
>>
>>7409437
kek, who wrote this?
>>
>>7410497
My guess is a Protestant Brit.
>>
>>7409384
YUP
>>
>>7409324
I wouldn't say that, bionicle went downhill fast
>>
File: laughing.jpg (60 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
60 KB, 500x495
>>7409384
>>7409394
>>7409432
>all these asspained Anglos ITT
>>
>>7410578
Cunt I bet you haven't even read Acallam na Senorach.

But desu senpai baka England > Ireland.
>>
File: IMG_20150811_135312.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150811_135312.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
>>7409334

>Ireland
>Anglo
>>
>>7410595
Not him, but it's really not. If you strip away the Irish from English canon, the UK starts to look like a non-contender. That's why every best country for literature thread, the UK tries to claim Ireland. And to be frank, if you're going to cite a commentary on the dindsenchas as necessary, use At Swim.
>>
>>7410604
Chaucer alone destroys all your tales of feins and cows
>>
>>7410612
lol no, you clearly have no ear for music nor for prose. Chaucer gets a good cacophony going now and then, but that has nothing on the inbuilt assonance of Irish or Russian writing, nor poetic French. There's a reason Shakespeare stole most of his ideas from abroad.
>>
>>7410604
>If you strip away the Irish from English canon, the UK starts to look like a non-contender

Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Keats, Blake, Wordsworth, Hume
>non-contenders

They try to sequester Ireland because obviously adding more countries will make them look better
>>
>>7410619
>including the Romantics
Didn't they all suck Burke's philosophical cock?
That brings us down to
>Hume
sucking off Berkeley, scots like Hutcheson, and the French
>Shakespeare
copying French bardic traditions present centuries before his work, and with less rhyme and meter because
>translations

>Chaucer
>>7410617

>Milton
Swift wrote better fanfiction and satire.
>>
>>7410627
>>>/b/
>>
>>7410634
I'm trying to imagine the level of emotional butthurt you experienced to brainfart this hard in public.
>>
>>7410627
What a stupid argument.
>>
>>7410664
thorough rebuttal gj
>>
>>7410604
>If you strip away the Irish from English canon, the UK starts to look like a non-contender.

lmao
>>
>>7409324
It's the whole of Britain.
Look at Arthurian Mythology: a legendary tale that spread across the whole of Europe, dominating the politics and culture of Europe for centuries to come.
>>
>>7410703
Kek do the irish actually believe this?
Anglosphere ranking:
1.Britain
2.Yanks
3. Ireland
4. Jersey
5. Canada
>>
>>7410763
If think the more important thing is to consider Ireland's tiny population and the number of people they've produced. There are about 2.5 million people.
>>
>>7410776
That's a weird way to say 6 million
That's an odd way to say thousands of years of history
>>
>>7410796
Oh shit, my bad. Still tiny compared to the general population of America and England if you take it's contributions over the past 200 years.
>>
it's not a contest m8
>>
File: 1428129427519.png (442 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1428129427519.png
442 KB, 1200x800
>>7410763
>Ireland under Lardistan
>Lardistani "literature"
Do Americans actually believe this?
>>
>>7410862
>jersey is included
>this idiot still gets triggered and dives into his 40 gb inferiority complex folder
Cringe tbqh
>>
>>7410645
Your argument and phrasing were immature
>>
>>7410948
>40 gb
My entire image directory is 728 mb, but by all means keep on projecting. I know American likes it big.
>>
>>7410862
Fuck the US.

t. American
>>
>>7410722
Arthurian mythology is sort of a Victorian social anxiety about not having a national myth
>>
File: moi.jpg (17 KB, 209x300) Image search: [Google]
moi.jpg
17 KB, 209x300
>>7409324
>anglophones
HON HON HON to be honest
>>
>>7410497

Pinecone
>>
>>7410969
To be honest if dicksucking bothers you, you haven't read a lot of Romantics.
>>
Irish guy here, I'd say it's because Ireland is shitty and grim and aside from a 10 year period in the late 90s to early 2000s where we became a first world country almost overnight from the undeveloped shithole we were (and still are in many places.)

This constant unending grim-ness breeds alcoholism and good art, as both we and the Russians have shown.
>>
File: 1437747123103.jpg (89 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
1437747123103.jpg
89 KB, 1024x682
I think it's a melancholy place with a lot of suppressed issues and psychoses . A mysterious ancient past which provides a romanticized and idealized backdrop swathes of beautiful rural scenery that still evoke this even today. A history of violence and oppression combined with a general reluctance to communicate or seriously discuss thoughts and emotions leads to their expression in the more reflective and private medium of literature as catharsis
>>
>>7411528

You've nailed it with the reluctance to communicate or seriously discuss things. You have to joke everything off in this country. It probably explains why so many of our great writers were satirists.
>>
The strong monastic tradition of
>fucking leave me alone with the books
helped I guess. Pic related makes disconnecting your internet look like a bridge not far enough.
>>
>>7410974
>do the yuropz lik me yet xD
Kuk
>>
>>7410763
>Amerifats above ANYONE in literature

try harder next time
>>
>>7411854
I really wish this were bait, but unfortunately the anti-American bitterness among some is so strong that, no matter what the subject or their knowledge of it may be, their contribution is never anything more than "Boo America!"
>>
>>7411977
This. Ironically they're only proving the point, for such bitterness is usually a sign of inferiority.
>>
>>7411977
>Americans think that 100 years of trying counts as much as millennia of winning
That new biblical literalism thing is really taking off there, huh?
>>
>>7412015
Kek this guy tried so hard, but failed completely
>>
>>7412015
Millennia of winning what?
>>
>>7412021
Your hobby is shitposting, not reading, isn't it? Boring.
>>
>>7412025
I hope English isn't your native tongue
>>
File: takanuva approves.png (30 KB, 231x220) Image search: [Google]
takanuva approves.png
30 KB, 231x220
>>7410561
underrated
>>
>>7411528
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4EpUnoIFoQ
>>
I would just like to point out that, sorry, but all the great Irish writers of the 20th century ARE fundamentally Anglo. Irish culture at this point is a variation on the Anglo-American Weltansicht. Which is not a bad thing. But it's pretty obvious that Joyce, even in what is sometimes known as his final rebellion against English, is more in the tradition of English and British literature than he is in the tradition of ancient Irish literature. You can also argue that he's more cosmopolitan than either Irish or British, but that's a different topic.
>>
>>7412644
You don't even know who Brian O Nuallain is.
>>
>>7412659

I don't really know why you used an Irish spelling which I don't think he ever used, but didn't he only write one or two books in Irish? And besides, as far as I can tell there's not much of a substantial, continuous Irish tradition after the early middle ages: Irish writing is defined solely by its defiance against English in this day. Feel free to give me a substantial counterexample, though.
>>
>>7412683
He wrote a book which lambasted "learned Irish" and several unfavourable reviews and characters of Joyce because of his learned style. The joke is that what you wrote probably would have been passed under one of his pseudonyms easily, German and all. He didn't use his real name because as a civil servant, he had no opinion, and he liked to troll his own column so much with pseudonymous objections that the paper he wrote for refused all letters to the editor. This sketch of the joke aside, I can't be sure I'm not you now, you poor fucker.
>>
>>7412707
irst time posting itt. infos like this are appreciated anon-kun. thank you goatfucker.
>>
>>7409345
Then why is their artwork and music so terrible, while their literature is great.
>>
>>7410597
>Implying people literally called "Anglo-Irish" didn't culturally and linguistically for hundreds of years
>Implying being "Anglo-sphere" means literally English or descended from the English as opposed to their cultural descendants in the British isles, North America and Oceania
>>
>>7409324
They don't
>>
>>7411528
So much this for the cultural and intellectual elements, but what I'd add is that linguistically (and the cultural factors may contribute to this) the Irish are by far the most gifted of the English speaking peoples. The qualities inherited from their native language, which I would argue can compete aesthetically with French or Italian or any language you'd care to name, combine with the rhyming capacity that comes with an English vocabulary to produce a wonderfully musical speech that's perfect for humor and melancholy. I'm pretty biased though, 4 of my 5 favourite authors rn are Joyce, Beckett, Wilde and Shaw
>>
File: received_10154024341603455.jpg (18 KB, 637x850) Image search: [Google]
received_10154024341603455.jpg
18 KB, 637x850
>>7412025
If you've recently been learning English then grats you're doing well dude
>>
>>7409324
>westeros

game of thrones hardly dominates literature and there's more islands in it
>>
I wouldn't sat we DOMINATED but I suppose in terms of relative population...
I think a mixture of native verbal skill and narrative telling, the certain mixture of different settling cultures and a shitfucker of a history. I wouldn't go so far as to claim all Irish people have inherited PTSD but it's not too far from the truth. Also the fact that sitting around and talking shit is the national past time contributed.
>>
>>7409324
America is not an island
>>
>>7409324
Since when is Russia an island senpai?
>>
>>7412683
>Irish writing is defined solely by its defiance against English in this day. Feel free to give me a substantial counterexample, though.

There are people out there with no identity who actually believe this.

smhfamtbh
>>
>>7417113
Anglos, to be quite honest. smfh
>>
>>7412644
Dublin writers were cosmo as it was the 2nd city of the empire. I think it's wrong to understate the lingusitc influence of Gaelic lit on Joyce specifically, hundreds of PHD's have been written on this.
>>
>>7409324
Suffering.
>>
File: map1020.gif (101 KB, 920x646) Image search: [Google]
map1020.gif
101 KB, 920x646
>>7409324
Why don't you ask them.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.