[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>none of the authors in this list past the 9th grade mark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 957x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 957x591
>none of the authors in this list past the 9th grade mark
>>
Whomever made this list seriously needs to kill themselves.
>>
source? where did they get these figures? probably asked Rowling and Clancy readers what they thought, and then graphed their answers.
>>
>>7408789
/thread
>>
>>7408776
>7 years of reading to comprehend garbage about bananafish
like 7 years of readers digest yeah
>>
>>7408811
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7408803
>https://contently.com/strategist/2015/01/28/this-surprising-reading-level-analysis-will-change-the-way-you-write/

>The other day, a friend and I were talking about becoming better writers by looking at the “reading levels” of our work. Scholars have formulas for automatically estimating reading level using syllables, sentence length, and other proxies for vocabulary and concept complexity.
>>
>Crichton is the most advanced writer on this list.
>>
File: you must be 18 or older to post.png (2 MB, 1440x2212) Image search: [Google]
you must be 18 or older to post.png
2 MB, 1440x2212
>>7408776
>>
I read a ton of Crichton in late elementary/early middle school, am I a fucking genius?
>>
>>7408836
Should be John Green at the top tbqh
>>
>>7408857
Him and Rand.
>>
>>7408776
They aren't using "comprehend" the way most people use it.

These people are saying that a 4th grader can recognize and understand most if not all of the words in a novel by Hemingway. They aren't saying that a 4th grader can understand any of what Hemingway was doing, or even follow the basic plot.
>>
The point of writing isn't to have the most obscure or complicated prose, it's about sharing ideas and just because someone has simple prose doesn't mean their ideas lack gravity. An 8th grader might understand the words that they're reading but I doubt most 8th graders can read Wallace/Tolstoy/Pynchon/Hemingway and take away anything significant from their writing. Hell, I'd shit my own bed if a 4th grader had anything significant to say about Hemingway.

Plus, I'd argue that if there were 2 ideas that objectively shared the same merit(theoretically ofc) the writer who gets their point across with simpler prose is the better writer.
>>
>>7408776
>Pynchon
>below fucking Patterson
Such obvious bait.
>>
File: 1429940671755.png (99 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1429940671755.png
99 KB, 625x626
>>
dude this is so ebin
>>
>>7408776
>9 years to comprehend David "audience pussy bangin won't stop me hangin" Wallace
>>
>>7408836

kek
>>
>>7408924
And below Crichton for that matter. Fucking kek
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.