[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books to become politically educated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 1447765367052.jpg (38 KB, 619x480) Image search: [Google]
1447765367052.jpg
38 KB, 619x480
What are some good books for getting educated on political topics? I want to be more intelligent/informed in this area... About the most "political" books I've read are 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World, and The Communist Manifesto...

Yeah, pretty pathetic.
>>
check out "The Moral Landscape" by Sam Harris
>>
>>7407586
>posting the same bait in multiple threads

get some self respect.
>>
>>7407582
That's kinda tricky since politics touches a lot of academic subjects (economics, psychology, philosophy, and history off the top of my head).

Since you've read The Communist Manifesto I'd recommend Manufacturing Consent, Understanding Power, and How the World Works by Noam Chomsky.
>>
>>7407597
>i don't like it so it's bait
mad you can't find the downvote button my redditor friend?
>>
File: download.png (3 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3 KB, 224x225
>>7407626
0/10
>>
>>7407582
Begin with introductory textbooks on political science. Branch out from there.

My Poli Sci 101 class used this, http://www.amazon.com/Power-amp-Choice-Introduction-Political/dp/0073379034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448922499&sr=8-1&keywords=power+introduction+to+political+science

It was a great introductory text I think. Plus, it looks like you can buy used ones super cheap because it's a frequent college textbook.

Then you need to delve into the Online Library of Liberty for more about classical liberalism and Enlightenment thinking. Most modern political movements are either derived from or in opposition to political theory from this era, minus Islamism.
http://oll.libertyfund.org/

>>7407624
Chomsky is a linguist, and a good one, but his political opinions are just that - opinions.

OP needs to read overview texts to get a grasp on politics, not ideological ones.
>>
>>7407637
That's actually really dang reasonable.
>>
>>7407631
>I can't refute you
nice reaction pic btw
>>
The Prince

Read that shit ten times, then maybe you'll be ready to read more specific political lit.
>>
>>7407582
Ann Coulter has written lots of accessible and poignant political commentary
>>
File: 1446344024889.gif (876 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1446344024889.gif
876 KB, 500x281
>>7407739
>>7407586

kek
>>
Theatre of the Oppressed
>>
A Theory of Justice - Rawls
Anarchy, state, utopia - Nozick

Important books in contemporary political philosphy
>>
File: 1419142197810.gif (2 KB, 210x187) Image search: [Google]
1419142197810.gif
2 KB, 210x187
>>7407884
>A Theory of Justice

It's a crock of shit m80, but it's probably good to know his argument. To sum it up, if you don't know what kind of position you would be born into, you would opt to be born into a more equal society to hedge your bets on a more comfortable life. Equality makes everyone hold hands and sing together in a big circle, because everyone is supposedly happy - equality is best because it will be best, you see.

It falls apart pretty easily though. He argues that his egalitarian conclusions cannot be applied across all countries, just one at a time, which is pretty retarded because then inequality still exists. In fact, it exists in an even more gross form, with some nations being incredibly (if equally) rich, and some being horribly, equally poor among themselves.

He also ignores the fact that it's literally impossible for you to be born to anyone but your parents, so your position in society and that of your children will in large part be determined by your own individual actions and your parents, and not society at large.

Rawls a shit.
>>
File: PutinCookie.jpg (151 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
PutinCookie.jpg
151 KB, 500x348
>>7407948
This. I love a good BTFO of Rawls.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.