[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anything I need to read before reading this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Anything I need to read before reading this?
>>
The greeks.
>>
Hamlet, The Brothers Karamazov, Gravity's Rainbow, White Noise, Wittgenstein's Mistress and E Unibus Pluram.
>>
You need to read Infinite Jest.

The first reading is just a gearing-up for the second.
>>
nope literally didn't know shit about fuck going into it. Like hadn't read many books before and I ended up having one of my favorite reading experiences ever!! Great book super easy to read. Just long and wordy a points. Never gets too heady or w/e. Just stick with it. Finishing it is so worth it <3
>>
>>7407325

In terms of the things it references: No, although a familiarity with Hamlet, The Brothers Karamazov, and Ulysses make for a fuller understanding of where some of the structure, references, etc. come from.

In terms of Wallace's writing style: I might recommend some short stories (Oblivion, or maybe Brief Interviews) and/or essays (A Supposedly Fun Thing, or Consider the Lobster) first in order to get acclimated; IJ isn't terribly difficult, though, just long, non-linear, and a bit disorienting until it explains itself, which it does in its own time.
>>
>>7407341
Five star amazon review
Upvoted

OP have you read DFW before?
>>
>>7407336
>White Noise
End Zone would be the most relevant DeLillo
>>
>>7407348
:^)
>>
>>7407341
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>7407352
>>7407352
i guess you could just say I'm a "hipster" that read the jest
>>
>he's still reading the old meme trilogy

You'll never be a patrician at this rate.
>>
>>7407359
nice!
>>
If you haven't read a 1000+ page book before, I'd go ahead and do that just so you don't pick it up and stop 300 pages in. Something easier like a longer King book or something even more genre-pleb.

Infinite Jest isn't hard to read or understand, but there is a lot going on. If you aren't dedicated to finishing it, you won't.

Also seconding reading an essay by DFW beforehand. Not needed, but it can't hurt.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.