[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wow. Just finished this and I have to say, what a book! It really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: Crimeandpunishmentcover[1].png (435 KB, 417x640) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover[1].png
435 KB, 417x640
Wow. Just finished this and I have to say, what a book! It really blew me away in parts and I have to say the scenes with the inspector were really great! It rreally reminded me of Professor Snape the kind of suspense around whose the good guy and all that. I was wondering if you could recommend me any similar classic books because I want some more murder mysteries but first of all I just wanted to start off by asking why do you think he killed the old woman?
>>
>constance garnett
yeah...I hate to break it to you but you haven't read dostoevsky.
Try again.
>>
>>7407125
Just because he submitted that pic it doesn't mean that he read that version.

But what translation would you recommend?
>>
>>7407146
This one lol
>>
Is the Wordsworth classics version worth reading? I picked it up for like 50p (britfag) at a charity store and still haven't gotten round to reading it
>>
> why he killed the old lady
Isn't it clearly stated that he did it for the money? Honest question
>>
>>7407154
lelno
>>
File: 1376501426051.png (51 KB, 457x496) Image search: [Google]
1376501426051.png
51 KB, 457x496
>>7407114
>It rreally reminded me of Professor Snape the kind of suspense around whose the good guy and all that.
>mfw

Anyways, he killed the woman as a test of character. He developed his theory of how great men can perform unlawful acts without thinking about it, acting above the law to move forward in life thus moving history forward.
His place in life was shitty and he killed the woman and if he didn't think any more of it then that meant he was a great man and then he would use the money to move forward in life. However he couldn't shake the post-murder funk and that meant he was just another pleb.
>>
>>7407154
yet he disposes the money and before he tries to find excuses to morally justify the murder.
his rage against society in general is more of a reason. also i think OP is trolling
>>
>>7407114
>>7407154
>I just wanted to start off by asking why do you think he killed the old woman?
It was explained in the latter part of the book.

Raskolnikov has formulated a theory according to which he divided people into vermin and leaders who can commit actions towards the greater good without the concern for morality. He saw the deed of killing an immoral wealthy woman and redistributing her wealth as an action that can serve towards accomplishing a greater good but was unable to cope with moral anguish and, in the end, suffered from the mental breakdown. His final sleep actually explains from perspective of author why Raskolnikov's theory is absurd.
>>
Op is clearly trolling, you mongs.
Saged.
>>
>>7407166

I always saw it as more of him panicking and then trying to rationalize it all through his feverish brain. How can you live otherwise? It's fine and dandy to say that people who do bad things are evil and should be removed, but that's an extremely simplistic word view.
>>
>>7407184
Well, it's obvious but the book is worth discussing nonetheless.
>>
>>7407195
you mean he didn't murder because of his theory?
>>
>>7407114
he killed the old hag coz Dosto wanted to write a ghastly rigmarole
>>
>>7407184
>Fedor Dostoiewski
Always funny how differently different languages translate the name.
>>
>>7407114
>It rreally reminded me of Professor Snape
>>
>>7407243

Robbery gone wrong.
>>
>>7407114
My favourite pasta!
>>
>>7407292
murder was explicitely a part of the plan from the start
>>
was katerina ivanovna in any way connected to the pawnbroker ivanovna?

it seemed that every other female was an ivanovna. is that because every other man was named ivan in those days or what
>>
>>7407319
Every second character in Russian lit is an Ivan or an Ivanova. They weren't related, except that Sonya was friends with lizaveta, the pawn ladies sister.
>>
>>7407322
OK, thanks then I was correct in my assumption
>>
>>7407319

All that means is that their father's name was Ivan.

The Romanovich in Raskolnikov's name shows that his father was called Roman. That's all it is, a patronymic.
>>
>>7407305

Keep shilling. Raskolnikov dindu nuffin.
>>
>>7407146
Avoid Garnett and P&V

Read McDuff or Avsey

The best translation of Demons is the Maguire one from Penguin Classics.
>>
Wtf is with you and these threads?
>>
>>7407152
if it's translated by constance garnett, no
>>
>>7407641
>avoid P&V
Obvious troll.
>>
>>7407872
looks like you've been duped by marketing, and i don't blame you, the P&V public relations machine was impressively effective. but they are not the be-all and end-all of dostoevsky translation, unless you enjoy stilted and flat prose lacking nuance and proper contextualization.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.