[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is my first year at uni. I study a Humanities degree, so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: A-rise-in-university-tuit-001.jpg (34 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
A-rise-in-university-tuit-001.jpg
34 KB, 460x276
This is my first year at uni. I study a Humanities degree, so I expected it to be full of hipsters, snobs and people that may be ellitist motherfuckers, but with the same (or similar) interests in movies, literature... as me.
>tfw im surrounded by GoT/genre shit readers, redditcore listeners, guys with encyclopedical knowledge of Hollywood movies (ONLY Hollywood), LoL players, anime fans...

What went wrong?
>>
>>7406988
You went to a shit uni.
>>
>>7406989
Word is bond.
>>
About a quarter of those retards will drop out after the first year or transfer. A bunch more will change their majors. By your second year, you'll be taking 200/300 level classes and you'll like your classmates a bit more. It keeps getting better as you take better classes. Also, in most classes there's a couple assholes that always give their retarded opinions, but rest assured that you're not the only one that hates them (even the teacher might).
>>
>>7406989
I dunno about this. The most academically-patrician guy in my program at a top university is a GoT fan and watches Dr Pleb.
>>
>>7406988
Well you're in Manchester. And really, quite a few people who start humanities degrees aren't prepared for it. Look at what's popular in fiction these days: Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, the Twilight series. A lot of people will never move much beyond that in their taste. A lot will never even have read any poetry before. Your job is to push yourself, find a few smart people to be friends with, and then read your ass off. Every single day. Work hard and you'll get somewhere with it, but only if you read ferociously and committedly outside your usual zone of familiarity. Become what you are, anon!
>>
>>7407030
Goddamn, that was motivating. Thanks, my pal.
>>
>>7407030
Btw, I ain't in Manchester. I study in a spanish peripheral province, which is way worse.
>>
>>7406988
Educational institutes are worthless unless they're of the highest tier, even those are beginning to feel the offspring effect.
>>
>>7407106

What is the offspring effect?
>>
>>7407112
The offspring effect is odd, I'm not sure if it's ever been examined thoroughly but it all starts around the 1990's - early 2000's.

What does a parent want for their child? Success.

How is something deemed successful? It depends on the society in which said thing resides in.

Well, in the early 2000's success for a child was graduation, getting a job, going to college/university, getting a degree, and finally "starting" their life.

That SOUNDS like a reasonable thing for anyone to do in the modern day and age but one thing that parents didn't account for was the amount of offspring that had been attending college/university when their child was still in the 5th grade.

So, as little Johnny goes through his life he knows that one day he will attend a university or a college of his choice and will graduate to receive his diploma. Everyone else in Johnny's class is told this as well. Everyone in his school for years to come is told that this is the truth and that they need to work hard.

Every single student is being force fed the idea that they WILL attend a college or university because that's what successful people do.

As more offspring get produced annually the colleges and universities get more and more students leading to an issue.

What value does a diploma have if all these people are receiving it?

The answer is none.

Every year students are forced through the system to get to college or university, get a degree, and then find out the cold, hard truth.

They've been lied to by the system for profit. Those anime lovers? Those gamers? They've been told their whole life that attending a college or university was NEEDED to get a good job. The poor fools have been misled and are just doing what they've been taught.

And they will graduate, and their younger brothers and sisters will graduate, and that diploma becomes less and less valuable every year.

Look at job listings, friend. Employers are looking for experience over everything these days because of the offspring effect. Every kid is getting a diploma and they'll continuing getting them until the sun consumes our earth or a serious change in culture takes place.
>>
>>7407104
Murcia? Where you at, tio?
>>
>>7407027
Oh no he watches popular TV shows!!
>>
>>7406988
what's wrong with a Song of Ice and Fire :(?
>>
>>7406988
I studied Lit at Manchester. Don't worry about it, there'll be plenty of tossers on the course that don't bother showing up for any lectures/seminars, and then beg other students for notes the week before an exam.
Just keep your head down - if you're doing humanities, your contact hours will be minimal, and you'll probably make most of your friends through societies and halls anyway.
Also, I hope you enjoy visiting the dole office, because humanities degrees are fucking shit.
>>
>>7407237
Asturias, beloved fatherland.
>>
>>7406988
I did an MA in lit at an ivy league school, and my cohort was filled with total plebs interested in writing about animal rights and female friendly gay manga. No one would say a goddamn word in the seminars. The profs were pulling their hair out trying to get people to speak. It was basically just me talking to the class about things they had no idea about. I wanted to kill myself the entire time. The humanities have been absolutely decimated.
>>
>>7407293
I had a guy in mine who would bring up Nietzsche every single week without fail. It was pretty clear that 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' was the only high-brow thing he'd read that wasn't part of the course, and wanted everyone to know that he'd read it. He'd try to apply it to everything from William Blake, to Goethe, to Melville, to Marlowe. Our professor started to lost his patience after a few weeks, and began to grill him on how exactly it was relevant to what we were discussing.
>>
>>7407314
And he no doubt mispronounced Nietzsche's name.
>>
>>7407314
Finding self-appointed meaning is a universal theme tbqh.

Also I don't believe any of you who went to Ivies and still are surrounded by plebs. Either a) you didn't talk to anyone and are supposing or b) Lying. I'm not American, but I am really supposed to believe that moat humanities students at highly selective unis dont have passion for their field?
>>
>>7407237
coño, otro murciano
>>
>>7407106
Literally untrue. Sorry.
>>
>>7407151
Good point

Also, how can I get a job when nobody hires me because I don't have experience?
>>
>>7407470
It's all school of resentment these days m8, virtually everyone who studies literature hates books and reading.
>>
>>7407470
I met a PhD student of english, not at a top-10 uni, but still up there, whose favorite "writer" was Neil Gaiman. You make your own conclussions.
>>
>>7407470
The problem is that the types of students who receive funding are primarily a) female and b) have foreign sounding names. Their projects are of a highly fashionable bent. Animal rights is a huge one. And the black students invariable take on projects that accuse every author prior to ten years ago of racism. None of these students even read. They just apply ready made social theory to texts selected by their supervisors. The most literate people I ever met in university were mathematics/compsci/physics majors. It's sad but true.
>>
>>7407470
I went to a great uni and even there people simply didn't speak willingly in seminars. Shit was bizarre. They weren't complete idiots. I guess speaking out loud when questioned is not a done thing anymore? I noticed the same in school.
>>
>>7407533
Lie.
>>
>>7407241
Found the pleb
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.