[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
19th birthday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1443292991191.jpg (779 KB, 664x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443292991191.jpg
779 KB, 664x1024
Hey /lit/ it's my 19th birthday today
Since I'm getting more into literature

>recommend me your top 3 books to get more into it
>>
>>7406612
>Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>The Old Man and the Sea
>The Once and Future King
>>
>>7406612
Silence - Shusaku Endo
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
>>
>>7406627
Whoops, I believe I misunderstood the topic. I wouldn't recommend these to start off with.
>>
>>7406612
Catch-22
Moby-Dick
The Sound And The Fury
>>
>>7406612
Shadow of the Wind by Zafon
The Complete stories of Flannery O'Connor
Norwegian Wood- H. Murakami
>>
>>7406648
>>7406616
>>7406633
Thanks, I will check them out

should I get an e-reader or is there a way to buy cheap books? or what are books that are worth having in your shelf?
>>
>>7406653
>is there a way to buy cheap books?
Depends where you are, obviously. I have pretty good charity bookshops near me that are cheaper than (legal) e-books. But for cost-effectiveness you obviously can't beat a library, assuming you have a decent one near you.
>>
>>7406612
gravitys rainbow
blood meridian
american pastoral
>>
>>7406653
e readers are awesome but they take some getting used to. I have a kindle touch and I've had it for a few years. it's nice and i'll replace it when it dies. with that said, I still prefer physical copies.

if you like to read "the classics" then many are free on Gutenberg dot org. then definitely get an ereader and save $$$.

more contemporary /lit/ you'll either have to pirate or buy ebooks.

you can always visit your local library. online sites like amazon will have used copies for like $1 but you pay 3-4 in shipping. I recommend you support your local used book stores/libraries first and then shop online if you can't find it.

online retailers and big chains are always my last option.
>>
>>7406667
Yea, I've been to the library today
it's pretty alright imo

>(legal) e-books

what do you mean? are there illegal ones? I downloaded some lovecraft pdf files last week..
>>
read descartes, then read spinozas ethics
>>
The cat in the hat
>>
OP WHAT BOOKS DO YOU LIKE.

19 YEAR OLDS HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES

YOURE BASICALLY ASKING: HEY GUYS, WHAT ARE THREE BOOKS YOU LIKE?
>>
you may enjoy:

Candide by Voltaire
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut
On the Road by Kerouac
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell
Shakespeare's major tragedies and sonnets
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence
A Portrait of the Artist by James Joyce

good luck opee
>>
>>7406612
Dostoevsky is a must. Very age appropriate too, I think.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.