[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fragmented novel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: go-down-with-moses.jpg (539 KB, 1308x2127) Image search: [Google]
go-down-with-moses.jpg
539 KB, 1308x2127
Anyone know of any good (and largely successful) novels/unified books comprised of several interrelated or intertextual pieces? I really enjoyed Faulkner's TSatF, and I believe he reached a new level of formal and structural brilliance with Go Down, Moses.

Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>7405787
I should probably clarify: I want to read more novels/books made up of several long-form pieces which, while relating to and complementing each other, can be considered individual, accomplished and (to a certain extent) self-sufficient works. I'm thinking ideally of a work made up of a group of novellas, as opposed to a novel broken into several parts or chapters, which seems more conventional.
>>
Instead of answering your question I'll ask another. I didn't see the connection between the fragments of Moses. Care to explain?
>>
>>7405793
The things they carried by Tim O'Brien.
Sketches of a Sportsman by Turgeniev. (This was one of Hemingway's favorite books, pretty cool stuff. The book show the life of russian peasantry in the 19th century, and it was banned in Russia because it was seen as promoting social revolution.)
>>
>and largely successful
I'm going to assume you mean successful in the literary sense, rather than that of being acclaimed by the masses.

Molloy (Beckett) is only two parts, but they do complement each other without any mutual reliance on a basic level. And even then that's just Molloy - you can extend this aspect to the next two parts of the trilogy, and then again to Murphy and Watt before them.
Voice of the Fire (Moore) uses stray intertextual elements and gradually singles them up into its real theme - the town - but each story is worth its own salt. That the first part of this one too is reminiscent of TSatF might just be a coincidence.

For shorter pieces you might want to look at Exercises in Style (Queneau, more of a formal experiment) or Invisible Cities (Calvino, uses a framing story around independent vignettes).
>>
>>7405787
A Hero of our Time by Lermontov, more or less.
>>
File: 2666.jpg (57 KB, 276x400) Image search: [Google]
2666.jpg
57 KB, 276x400
>>7405793
>>
>>7405801
So you didn't notice how all of the stories involve one family and was set in and around the same place?
>>
>>7405787
Yoko Ogawa - Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales
>>
>>7405787
short story collection marketed as a novel, very common. How is it structural and formal brilliance exactly
>>
OP since you are my boy I decided to drop this link here: http://www.fractiousfiction.com/fragmented_novel_reading_list.html
>>
>>7405787
A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by Julian Barnes.
>>
>>7405787
Cane by Toomer
>>
File: dbl_2019.jpg (16 KB, 240x359) Image search: [Google]
dbl_2019.jpg
16 KB, 240x359
>>7405787
Good stuff.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.