[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>He stepped out of the car into solid ground and open air.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: PynchonYearbook.jpg (12 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
PynchonYearbook.jpg
12 KB, 220x330
>He stepped out of the car into solid ground and open air. Our celestial mother above proudly blazed as he dragged a hit of oxygen and light-headedly almost felt to float up into the heavenly expanse as the stuffy confines were left behind him and he was suddenly aware that it's a big, big, world around him, what a world to be lost in! His point of view fell from the balcony of his ego, down and down and down to where he stood in the centre of that instant.

What did he mean by this?
>>
He realized that matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that all life is but one concience experiencing itself subjectively, there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves
>>
>into solid ground and open air

welp, lost me

sorry, weirdo pomo man, dont have time for writers who make you guess what they mean
>>
>shit was dank af
>>
>>7404929
A man stepped out of a car, onto the ground in an open area. As he does drugs, the moon shines, and he, lightheaded from either the drugs or dehydration, felt like he could float, and he becomes aware of how big and open the world is. In that moment, under the pallid moon, he saw things, not through half-silvered mirror of the ego--the self, but as they truly are.
>>
>>7404946
Good job on copying/pasting Bill Hicks
>>
>>7404961
that's... the only clear sentence he posted?

???

can you actually read??

like honestly, can you?
>>
>>7404929
He gets out of the car, breathes, and realizes that he's very small and insignificant, thus destroying in him any illusions of grandeur or self-importance, rather prompting him to live happily as a small unit from moment to moment
>>
>>7405000
this
>>
Dude weed lmao
>>
>>7404929
what is this from?
>>
>>7405120
Probably one of his short stories.
>>
ego death to be honest family
>>
>>7405000
basically this
you can add all layers of depth into what he meant, but this should be the base
>>
>>7405144
>>7405007
Then whu didn't he just say that

>inb4 hirr nice anti intellectualism durr

No pomo faggots its totally possible be a good writer with deep themes without making the narrative indecipherable and obscure. This is actually a sign of emptiness and bad writing
>>
>>7405172
>indecipherable and obscure
I don't think this is the right board for you, to be honest family.

I'm 20 and had no difficulty understanding the essential meaning of that excerpt.

Maybe you can stick to reading The Martian or Ready Player One, they seem more appropriate for you.
>>
>>7405172
>Then whu didn't he just say that
Because he can; because figurative language; and because all art doesn't have to be the same.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 224x225
>>7405172
i feel genuinely sorry for you if that's really what you think

but you don't lmao
>>
>>7404929
Tell me this is bait and Pynchon didn't write the purple prose drivel
>>
>>7404961
This is a joke right?
>>
>>7405181
>>7405187
>if you have a different opinion than me you are either from reddit or b8

Fantastic debate skills you have, i am changing my mind

>>7405184
>because he can
I can wipe shit on 500 pages and call it a book doesn't mean I should
>figurative language
You can use figurative language withoit making the text inaccesible
>all art doesnt have to be the same
Where did I say that?

/lit/'s preloaded responses and retreat into /pol/-tier fallaciousness when someone challenges their consensus about something never gets old
>>
>>7405191
yeah this doesn't sound like pinecone at all.
>>
File: niggawat.jpg (158 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
niggawat.jpg
158 KB, 1600x900
>>7405215
>Fantastic debate skills
>thinking we're debating you

bro you're like the millionth pleb who's come around here bitching about 'muh clarity of communication' and 'pomo make anon sad bad >:(' don't delude yourself, no one's taking you seriously.
>>
>>7405229
>>7405191

i can't find it in slow learner, it might be OC bait
>>
>>7404929
I liked it
>>
>>7405215
>I can wipe shit on 500 pages and call it a book doesn't mean I should
You will never write anything a fraction as good as Pynchon; you aren't special.
>You can use figurative language withoit making the text inaccesible
There is no law saying you have to make accessible.
>Where did I say that?
Your post was blatantly essentialist.

In a very short time, it has become very clear--exceedingly clear--that you, like most people who make similar arguments, have little to no knowledge about literature and art as a whole.

7/10 bait
>>
>>7404929
He took a deep breath and contemplated how small he is compared to the rest of the world
>>
he got out and took a big hit of the drug called life, where he realized that he is insignificant
>>
>>7405191
Probably some shitposter trying to make Pynch look bad.
>>
>>7405234
>i was just pretending to be buttmad you disagreed with me

>>7405269

>you will never write anything as good as pynchon
This isn't relevant

>there is no law that says
I never said that writers had to write a particular way just that if you criticize postmodern drivel for inulging in obfuscation to make your empty text seem deep that doesn't mean you "don't get it" or are antintellectual because there are plenty of writers, even ones who write with artistic flourish, who you can still read and understand and who still explore deep and intelligent or even just interesting topics in their work

>your post was blatantly essentialist
It's not essentialist to criticize things for being purposefully elusive for the sake of it

>you know nothing of art or literature
More presumptiousness

>7/10 b8
As i already said aomebody isnt automatically baiting because they have a difference of opinion and its fairly childish to believe otherwise
>>
>>7404929
>you will never
>ever
>ever
>write this well

:(
>>
>>7405367
faulkner said: "the good artist believes that nobody is good enough to give him advice. he has supreme vanity. no matter how much he admires the old writer, he wants to beat him."

also op's sentence isn't real pynchon and is absolute shit.

all you need to write a better sentence than that one is like 5 minutes.
>>
>>7405353
>>i was just pretending to be buttmad you disagreed with me

which reaction pic did you think was engaging you in a debate was it the fish or the nba player
>>
File: ScreenShot46.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot46.jpg
300 KB, 1920x1080
didn't want to make a new thread but rate my perfect-toothed pinecone
>>
>>7405922
>https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/23200897-berber
7/10, nose is off
>>
>>7404993
wow...look at my flat affectation?

???

isn't it a great way to type?

like some digital vapid valley girl?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.