[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good book focusing on the history of Ancient Greece?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
What's a good book focusing on the history of Ancient Greece? Preferably an eBook.
>>
Pomeroy is OK but there is a longer version just called "Ancient Greece." It's pirateable. It's the textbook used alongside Kagan's Yale course:
http://oyc.yale.edu/classics/clcv-205

Bury + Meiggs is nice. Grote rhymes with scrote.
>>
thucydides

or xenophon
>>
>>7404699
do you know where i can find the longer version? i looked on bookz but there's nothing
>>
>>7404720
Libgen doesn't seem to have it either

Maybe I'm mistaken and Brief History is just the title for the 2004 edition. I may be mistaking it for a similar Roman history set I had to use for the same class.

Just use Brief History and go along with Kagan's course it's bretty good also he's a weird neocon
>>
>>7404699
That one seems to be out of print in the UK unfortunately...and the used copies are ridiculously expensive.
>>
File: p.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
p.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>7404695
here's something you might like
>>
Anyone read Pausanias? I've been reading Polybius and Pausanias' history/tour of Greece has been mentioned once or twice and sounds like it could be cool.
>>
>>7404720

I couldn't find the Ancient Greece verison anywhere so I just went and bought it. It's worth the price.
>>
>>7405705
>probably just a name change
>bought it

NO

JUST USE THE BRIEF HISTORY ONE YOU FUCKFACE

LOOK YOU DON'T EVEN NEED IT

http://www.scribd.com/doc/209267439/Sarah-B-Pomeroy-Ancient-Greece#scribd
www.lsrhs.net/departments/history/Hanoverc/Ancient/Greece/brief-history-of-ancient-greece-politics-society-and-culture.pdf
>>
>>7405710

It's not just a name change, the brief version doesn't go as nearly in-depth, hence its title.
>>
Warfare and Agriculture in Ancient Greece by Victor Davis Hanson
>>
Landmark Herodotus is an invaluable resource.
>>
>>7405718

If I just want an introduction to start reading philosophy, is the Brief edition good enough?
>>
>>7405747
In combination with other Greek works, yes.
>>
>>7405751

I plan to read Apollodorus's Bibliotheca Mithologica and Hamilton's Mythology before going into Homer and Hesiod, then the playwrights and finally the Pre-Socratics. Is that a good plan?

I also have Werner Jaeger's Paideia. Should I read that before or after I start with the Greeks proper?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.