[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will the atmosphere of American Suburbia sour my enjoyment of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: americansuburbs.jpg (349 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
americansuburbs.jpg
349 KB, 1600x1200
Will the atmosphere of American Suburbia sour my enjoyment of reading classic lit?

It's really the only thing that's prevented me from starting with the Greeks.
>>
>what is escapism
>>
>>7404024
>he wasn't born into the landed gentry or jet-setting business world
Just quit now before you humiliate yourself further.
>>
>>7404024

>that picture

I'd wager to say 35% are xanax addicts, 15% are oxycodone fiends, and some 10% are functional alcoholics.
>>
>>7404024
is this really what america is like?
>>
>>7404024
No, you just need to pimp out your garage into the perfect litcave. I was worried about this same thing but after I decorated with tons of rugs, lava lamps, and a greywater jacuzzi I was able to sit down and power through Tom Clancy's entire oeuvre with no distractions.
>>
>>7404057
Large swaths of it, yes.
>>
>>7404062
>no lambroghini

notgonnamakeit.gif
>>
>>7404057
This is poorly-layedout lower-middle or working-class subdivision. These exist in America, but subdivisions for people with a respectable income are made up of loops and cul-de-sac, which actually does make the whole thing nicer and more liveable because the houses don't all face thoroughfares.

Call these normie-traps, for people who could likely afford a small place in the country not too far off but get itchy at the though of not being constantly surrounded by other people and won't get an apartment because they have a compulsive need to have a "yard" full of dog shit and plastic crap.
>>
>>7404062
Holy shit I hope this is bait
>>
>>7404062
6/10
>>
Because it exemplifies the discomfiting, absurd waste inherent to capitalist society at every moment.
>>
>>7404090
read pomo then
>>
>>7404062
I know this is bait, but I actually know a successful novelist who made a litcave in his garage.

>>7404078
>classism
>2015
You'll be the first to die in the revolution.
>>
File: 1448324093892.jpg (94 KB, 498x432) Image search: [Google]
1448324093892.jpg
94 KB, 498x432
>>7404090
>>
File: Yarnmen suicide.jpg (83 KB, 479x390) Image search: [Google]
Yarnmen suicide.jpg
83 KB, 479x390
>>7404024
If anything reading the classics and Greeks should sour you on living in this "End of History" liberal-capitalist paradise.
And good. We need more malcontents to stir this complacent decay
>>
>>7404083
>>7404086
>>7404105
Totally not bait guize, my phone just auto-corrected Thomas Hardy into Tom Clancy. Plz re-rate.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.