[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most interesting book by Lovecraft?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Lovecraft.jpg (627 KB, 1104x800) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft.jpg
627 KB, 1104x800
What's the most interesting book by Lovecraft?
>>
>>7403947
Kadath and all that other dream shit. Yo. That shit is whack.
>>
>>7403995
This is correct for stories
His best work is the short story Rats in the Walls
>>
>>7403947
Anyone else feel that there's still much potential in the framework that Lovecraft set? I've been reading "Gyo" by Junji Ito recently and it strikes me how the core is so Lovecraftian, yet freshly served (pun intended).
>>
>>7404013
Ito has read Lovecraft, so he knows how to tell a great Lovecraftian story in the medium of manga.
>>
>>7404013
Seems to be a matter of proper execution. I don't really agree on the comparison, however. Junji Ito has a "formula" but he controls it so tightly and skilfully that you never really get tired of it. You can say "hot damn he's done it again" and you always recognize it as something only Junji Ito could have done. Lovecraft's work, however, has a bunch of memes that everyone and their dog get to play around with and beat to death over and over.

Of course the whole point of both dudes is impending, inevitable, soul-crushing doom. It's just that Junji Ito also has the benefit of his recognizable art style, as well as separate universes that don't overlap and don't put his monsters in a de facto public domain.
>>
>>7403995

/thread

hands down most interesting.

fucking bizarre man
>>
>>7403947
Nyarlathotep. It's basically the story of why the last 8 years have been so shitty. See if you can guess who Nyarly really is?

>I do not recall distinctly when it began, but it was months ago. The general tension was horrible. To a season of political and social upheaval was added a strange and brooding apprehension of hideous physical danger; a danger widespread and all-embracing, such a danger as may be imagined only in the most terrible phantasms of the night. I recall that the people went about with pale and worried faces, and whispered warnings and prophecies which no one dared consciously repeat or acknowledge to himself that he had heard. A sense of monstrous guilt was upon the land, and out of the abysses between the stars swept chill currents that made men shiver in dark and lonely places. There was a daemoniac alteration in the sequence of the seasons—the autumn heat lingered fearsomely, and everyone felt that the world and perhaps the universe had passed from the control of known gods or forces to that of gods or forces which were unknown.
>And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt. Who he was, none could tell, but he was of the old native blood and looked like a Pharaoh. The fellahin knelt when they saw him, yet could not say why. He said he had risen up out of the blackness of twenty-seven centuries, and that he had heard messages from places not on this planet. Into the lands of civilisation came Nyarlathotep.
>>
File: Dead_Salmon.jpg (63 KB, 614x402) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Salmon.jpg
63 KB, 614x402
Polaris
Dagon

Easily the best.
>>
>>7404710
"Horror at Red Hook" is more /pol/, and is one of the few stories where Lovecraft fully described the supernatural horrors in the final act instead of falling back on his "unspeakable" crutch.
>>
>>7403995
came here to say this. it's surprising that he's better known for his horror (Cthulhu in particular) when his surreal dreamworld stuff was so much more, well as the OP said, "interesting".
>>
>>7404785
>"interesting".
Beyond the Wall of Sleep is straight up insanity.
>>
>>7403947
i havn't read the longer ones yet but horror at red hook and rats in the walls are legit
>>
>>7403947
His Midwestern stuff. Medusa's Coil goes full /r9k/ at a couple points, but it hits the right notes for horror. The Night Ocean is also surprisingly comfy for a Lovecraft collaboration.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.