[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metamodernism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
Does metamodernism exist as a literary movement, well maybe not movement, but literary/artistic period?

Or is it trying too hard and too early to put a name on something.

I guess the metamodern breakdown is:

/lit/: DFW, Zadie Smith, Bolano, Eggers
/film/: Spike Jonze, Charlie Kaufman, Wes Anderson
/tv/: Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development

A while back I figured it'd be a few years until we know if it's something for sure but what do you guys think, of course there is no need for classification in general, but what is the step to take after post-modernism?
>>
I wouldn't fuss about it anon who's in his second or third year of undergrad. I really just wouldn't fuss about it.
>>
Metamodernism isn't really a thing. Postmodernism is such a broad term that it encompasses the writers you mentioned (although I haven't read anything by Eggers, nor will I as I've heard he's shit). We can say something is metamodern, but all we're doing is labeling it without really knowing what makes up metamodernism and how it differs from postmodernism, and if it even does. But the facets of the works are generally still postmodern.
>>
>>7403948
Not really fussing, this is really the only forum to discuss the kind of thing.

>>7403955
Yeah I was thinking that as well, it seems that it's just trying to combine twee and (if this is even a thing) New Sincerity writers

I recognize this isn't really a big deal, just wondering what you guys thought
>>
Breaking Bad as metamodernism? I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>7403955
>although I haven't read anything by Eggers, nor will I as I've heard he's shit

He writes good stories from perspectives of real characters, often unlikable ones. He's not bad at all. He doesn't write postmodern labyrinths of text, but he's got a good grasp on tone and he's really really really good with unlikable narrators if that's your thing.

I use some of his stories for teaching in my classes. He's a great example of writers who write good stories you often don't want to like - and that's valuable. Weird, but valuable. Very few writers can do it.
>>
>>7404366
Yeah I was pretty much just copy/pasting off of their website... I guess Shia is trying to make it a thing so gave it it's own website like some sort of web journal... idk senpai
>>
>>7403928

Short answer is yes, though some of those examples seem wrong.

There is an obvious reattempt at meaning/ideology in creative works in recent years that seemed to have disappeared there for a while. Yet, you often see those same works check themselves on the difficulty and naivety of such a pursuit. This contrast can be broadly labeled as metamodernism.

I think the musical equivalents are really interesting though less reflected on (father john misty, future islands for example) wherein they are using really passe techniques and tongue-in-cheek gestures, but at the core of it are really trying to express something and be vulnerable.
>>
>>7403928
are people just adding prefixes to modernism and calling it a movement now? what the fuck does metamodernism even mean?
>>
This seems to be want to give some kind of added historical weight to "stuff alternative/hipster people liked throughout the 2000s" which is just pathetic. All the things they're using as examples are already cringe-worthy, nigh-obsolete pop cultural artifacts with very limited historical significance.
>>
>>7403948
>acting superior
>ignores a fairly valid question
>is without a doubt in first or 0th year of undergrad
>>
File: 21231241324.jpg (10 KB, 236x213) Image search: [Google]
21231241324.jpg
10 KB, 236x213
>>7404638
Alternative modernism.
>>
File: friendship-of-don-quixote.jpg (88 KB, 338x450) Image search: [Google]
friendship-of-don-quixote.jpg
88 KB, 338x450
It will definitely be solidified in the tapestry of history once I have formed myself into a man of pure contigency! My actions will be informed by an increasingly ridiculous- and hopefully hilarious- series of maladaptive interpretations of my own reality. Eventually I will get myself killed Cool Hand Luke style. As I am dying, I will understand that the free will I experienced was either: in the tabulation of rules, which even as they were of my own making (even if by way of several layers of textual contextualization) were final and unable to be subverted at any given moment except by way of a convincing ammendment; or else (and at once) by arbitrary choices made instant by instant . My authenticity could be understood from the mere fact that my own condition of excessive autonomy resulted in my own death. Of course the aphorism that ought to be observed here is the one that "actions speak louder than words". True, but right now I can see a view an architectural model of a library to be constructed at a later date within my city. I can see the skeleton of a house being built right accross from where I live. These are just the suggestions of the functional structures they intimate. In a similar fashion, a condominium project down the street has been put on hold indefinitely, apparently due to economic conditions in the city. There is no real distinction to be made between a velleity and a blueprint.
>>
File: 1447219731074.jpg (197 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
1447219731074.jpg
197 KB, 534x800
When we say that metamodernism is a structure of feeling, we intend to say, very much like Fredric Jameson and, later, David Harvey when they describe postmodernism, that it is a sensibility that is widespread enough to be called structural (or as the cultural historian Ben Cranfield recently paraphrased it in a brilliant talk about the “emergent” in art at UCL, a “feeling that structures” (2015, unpublished conference paper), yet that cannot be reduced to one particular strategy.
>>
>>7404520
OP here. I think music might be something that metamodernism has going most for it, the stylings of Beat Happening and Tiger Trap that kind of died out early in the 90s but the whole revival of lo-fi bands like Frankie Cosmos, Porches., Told Slant, Spencer Radcliffe and such show a big sub-culture movement, at least in punk, or what punks associate themselves with. But yeah FJM, Arcade Fire and Future Islands especially are doing a very good job of taking old styles and bringing something original into it.
>>
>>7404977
wouldn't Jameson say that there's no metamodernism because it's just pastiche like post-modernism, maybe just it embraces pastiche in a way that post-modernism doesn't? I'm not sure if any of that even makes sense or if it's just drivel.
>>
>>7404638
it's an (unsuccessful) attempt to refute postmodernism and cary on the tradition of western thought as viewed through a modernist perspective. It only strengthens postmodernism. As with most arguments post 1973 it's terms and specifics can't be defined.
>>
>>7405238
I started reading articles on metamodernism.com, and I do not really understand what it is trying to say.
>>
>>7405285
>tfw when postmodernism.com is being squatted
>>
wtf with questions like this
go on google news and type in metamodernism if you give a shit
leave this turd-nuggety theory off here
>>
I'm more of a Remodernism guy myself.

http://www.stuckism.com/remod.html
>>
>>7405226
Do you think Macintosh Plus (vapor wave in general) is trying to attempt the same thing? Or is it meant to be interpreted as some post ironic humor, hinged souly on exemplifying the ugly facets of 80s lounge in the same vane as Lil b?
>>
>>7407265
vaporwaves been doing a great job of rehashing awful designs and abrasive colorwaves alongside the whole mockery of lounge music/remix, once again I'm not at all in support of the trend of metamodernism (>>7406708 ) but I know that vaporwave fans and artists kind of pride themselves on the term post-internet, which I think is meant to be taken as a joke but there's also a ton of /mu/ people who say it seriously. Also honestly as much as I love Lil B, I have no idea where to throw him in with art trends, he knows everything from shoegaze songs to go over (When The Sun Hits), scores (My Heart Will Go On), 90s Southern rap album art (Young Bleed in particular), idk he gets it all man.

>>7406708
>wtf with posts like this
>go on /b/ and type pretentious shit
>leave this turd-nuggety post off here
>>
File: 005-bear_at_picnic_table.jpg (285 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
005-bear_at_picnic_table.jpg
285 KB, 1200x900
To me meta modernism is something that strattles the line between sincerity and irony.
The post 9/11 generation is like a pendulum caught between the cynicism of the 90's and and the reality of terrorism.

9/11, global warming, all kinds of shit, killed postmodern 90's irony and returned us to a sort of naive grasp for hope in difficult times.

I feel we are what comes between post modernism and a return to true sincerity
>>
>>7408832
solid post.
>>
Is there hypermodernist lit?
>>
>>7408832
>the reality of terrorism
It was only a couple if people. GET OVER IT
>>
>>7409298
Of course.
>>
>>7409657
>a German obsessed with his "System"

this is just a stereotype
>>
>>7403928
We're already done with that; POSTmetamodernism is the new thing. Get with the times, grandpa.
>>
>>7410209
will there ever be a neopostmodernism?
>>
>>7410730
After the inevitable fall of global capitalism.
>>
>>7403928

>/tv/: Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development

Kill yourself senpai
>>
>>7408832
I don't think the effects of postmodernity will go away any time soon, it still has our society in a choke-hold. We may be at some compromise, but definitely not a crossroad.
>>
lump
>>
are any colleges including the debate over metamodernism in classes?

metamodernism seems to be just a very small artistic movement within post-modernism, and its just a different way of saying New Sincerity. should we just stick to the New Sincerity subset of art?
>>
File: 1436754825973.png (1 MB, 650x975) Image search: [Google]
1436754825973.png
1 MB, 650x975
>>7404977

God I fucking hate meaningless "meaning filled" abstraction

The end of this movement is when the bubble of thing air surrounding the hot thin air inside pops and everyone realizes just how shitty their subjective nonexisting "art" is and we can finally get back to some semblance aesthetics
>>
>>7411913
Do colleges even talk about New Sincerity?
>>
>>7411913
no

>>7412068
yes
>>
>>7412068
Not any worth attending.
>>
>>7403955

I agree with >>7404380

I read Hologram for a King and found it really enjoyable and with good depth.

The symbolism and themes are fairly apparent, but the prose is good and I actually really liked how relatable the main character is. He doesn't write "master pieces" but as far as contemporary writers good, I think he's worth reading.
>>
That's old news. Postmetamodernism is already on the rise. Just ask Kolsti Nguyen
>>
>>7409656
it's the brutality and the way the whole country saw it. It's the countrymens equivalent to seeing your family being killed in front of you.
>>
>>7409678
>Nimzowitsch
>German
>>
>>7403928
/v/ Okami, Chrono Trigger, Zelda
/a/ Imaishi, Yuasa, Kenji Nakamura
/co/ Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH6zJULTVgQ

This is the closest thing to an explanation. Sort of not really a subset of post-modernism.
>>
>>7415267
>Okami

My fucking nigger. If anybody says video games cannot say something significant, they have played Okami.
>>
>>7403928
It's still in the avant-garde stage. Movements start obscure then after the initial conception it's picked up in the next decade. Some of the originals stick around and make money off it and the others go on to the next thing.

Following these people are a set of secondary critics and artists who pick it up later, but arguably create a stable environment when compared to their avant-garde novelty seeking counterparts.

This happens all the time in a bunch of parallel ways, but Shia I'd argue is late to the party (as elites typically are). New Sincerity is pretty old and I'd say it's independent from metamodernism.

As far as what's actually going on right now I couldn't say maybe it's the mid-decade blues or maybe everyone with an idea right now can't realize it.

In the 2020s metamodernism may become the dominant form of art, but it's equally likely another movement will come along and resonate here while metamodernism ends up nestled in Europe or something (just an example).
>>
File: St Thomas Aquinas.jpg (41 KB, 387x544) Image search: [Google]
St Thomas Aquinas.jpg
41 KB, 387x544
When are these vapid twerps going to realize that Postmodernism is just a subset of Modernism?

And Modernism died a bloody death in World War I. All the 'postmodernists' are doing is humping its husklike corpse. The fact of the matter is that not just Modernism, but Modernity itself--the project the West has been dutifully engaged in for the last 600 years--has failed. All it's brought us is ruin and devastation of landscapes both within and without.

It's time to acknowledge that Modernity is a mistake. It's time to go backward. It's time to recover the wisdom of our forefathers.

#neomedievalism
>>
>>7415842
haven't* woops
>>
>>7405239
>unsuccessful
>implying that intelligent people haven't always viewed postmoderns with laughing contempt

Postmodernism was The moronic failure of philosophical history. The tradition of Western thought was unfazed by it. Take your state uni professor's prick out of your mouth and read Sokal and Bricmont
>>
>>7416060
you realize how transparent bait is when you post it one after another right
>>
>>7416066
Do you happen to teach Lit at one of our esteemed state universities?
>>
File: images (3).png (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (3).png
7 KB, 225x225
>>7416072
zero effort
>>
>>7416076
or perhaps anthropology
>>
eh? i thought self-referential, ironic pastiches were THE definition of pomo. this is just another fragment which has existed in the art world for a long time. all the modern galleries do is bounce back and forth between simulacra and nostalgia stuck in an inside joke that is infinitely looping
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.