[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone who says there are no polymaths today doesn't read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1448726604-20151128.png (186 KB, 684x748) Image search: [Google]
1448726604-20151128.png
186 KB, 684x748
Anyone who says there are no polymaths today doesn't read SMBC obviously
>>
>>7403073
Not too awful bait, but ultimately not worthwhile.
>>
>>7403073
>not XKCD
>>
>>7403081
I'm mostly serious.
>>
>>7403073
>implying the pic wouldn't be witty with a man
>>
>>7403099
That's just sad then. The comic's handling of "big questions" is laughably ignorant, and its handling of STEM topics is smug and masturbatory where it could potentially be better. Being able to draw and finish an engineering degree does not make one a generational polymath.
>>
>>7403106
Do you think Wittgenstein put penis in anus? Hard to imagine him being okay with poophole. Maybe he did it Socrates-style under the nutsack?
>>
>>7403112
He has some form of humanities degree, I don't remember what kind.
>>
File: spoiler.png (17 KB, 590x304) Image search: [Google]
spoiler.png
17 KB, 590x304
>>7403112
>>
As much as I hate XKCD, at least Randall Munroe knows he can't draw a mouth.
>>
Are their any smbc hate websites like xkcdsucks?
>>
>>7403314
*there

I hate myself now.
>>
>>7403096
But anon, xkcd is not funny.
>>
>>7403314
xkcdsucks is probably the only thing more autistic than xkcd
>>
>>7403328
>implying that that's a bad thing
>>
>>7403112
I know this would be perhaps going out of your way in order to make a point on an anonymous Burmese Fishmarket Bulletinboard, but could you give some examples? Because so far I don't see why a comic strip should or could do any better and still remain [often] funny and easy to read. Xkcd by comparison is a chore to read and also unfunny for the most part.
>>
File: claphands.jpg (17 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
claphands.jpg
17 KB, 220x220
>>7403314
Ladies and gentlemen: the humanities.
>>
>>7403570
I don't know how I can prove satisfactorily that either you don't study much or we have different senses of humor.
>>
>>7403709
I wasn't asking for a detailed analysis of how or why SMBC is wrong, just a few comics that you considered to demonstrate these flaws. I get why a misrepresentation could ruin the humor for someone, but I didn't notice it in SMBC.
>>
>>7403581
What? I'm the person you're replying to and I'm studying computer science.
>>
I love these kind of web comics because they keep the masses in dumb conformity and self-satisfied complacency, while I am free to explore the true limits of rational thought.
>>
>>7403735
If the masses weren't kept in dumb conformity and self-satisfied complacency, would they get in the way of your studies?
>>
>>7403868
Full-time academics/ intellectuals need stability. In times of upheaval they tend to become a low priority for their sponsors
>>
>>7403868
They would limit anon's potential for smugness.

Not that there's anything wrong with that post. If watching people wriggling around in mud motivates you to do better yourself then by all means.
>>
File: JarJarHS-SWE.jpg (40 KB, 400x525) Image search: [Google]
JarJarHS-SWE.jpg
40 KB, 400x525
>tfw you can enjoy reading and academic studies without being a smug shit about popular things
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 359x409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 359x409
>>7403930
>tfw you can avoid being a smug shit about popular stuff but it hurts
>>
Why don't you guys make a webcomic?
>>
>>7403951

I can't draw or write well, and if I could I would draw lewd anime women with penises instead of making webcomics.
>>
Holy SHIT that chick has tiny boobs
>>
>>7403951
Posters on /lit/ want to create a magnum opus to convince the world of their genius. A gag-a-day webcomic just isn't the same, no matter how many high brow topics you come up with.
>>
>>7404186
>tfw this thought runs through my head even though I know full well that the semicircles are a part of her clothing and not her anatomy
>>
>>7404220
You're actually so stupid. Low-brow self-referential, self-deprecating metahumour is /lit/'s bread and butter. Fuck off.
>>
>>7403073
>wittgenstein
>girlpussy

pleb comic
>>
>>7404649
Was he legit gay?
>>
>>7404664
He was one of the beyond a doubt legit flamers of the history of philosophy.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.